Running generator instead of the apu
04-18-2017, (Subject: Running generator instead of the apu ) 
RE: Running generator instead of the apu
(04-16-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 )simon999 Wrote:  Snailexpress did you connected it to your fuel tanks? Does it has fuel pump or you use some electric fuel pump?
Generator is connected to the fuel tank. It has a electric fuel pump for prime same as we have on truck engine.

That is impressive to me! How many holes did you drill? Or was there holes to drill? Im sure those tubes had to be feed in some how...
You have to drill only one hole to slide tubes and wire inside the cab. About 2 inches in diameter.

Snailexpress what type of freon lines did you use? Copper of flex line? How long have you been running the mini split? Any issues with vibration and damaging the freon lines?
replyreply
Don't know exactly think it 410 like in any residential AC. Unit came precharged with copper lines. You have to vacuum system and open valves. I didn't cut lines because didn't have flaring tool and never did it before, wasn't sure it will not leak. Vibration isn't big problem. Just lot of zip ties.
Rubber hoses will be better, easier to install it but I didn't find any supplier or brand for the hoses.
Unit is on the truck for more then 1 year, a couple weeks ago it was enough hot in GA to use it. Everything is working after winter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mmssvv , barf
(04-18-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  Don't know exactly think it 410 like in any residential AC. Unit came precharged with copper lines. You have to vacuum system and open valves. I didn't cut lines because didn't have flaring tool and never did it before, wasn't sure it will not leak. Vibration isn't big problem. Just lot of zip ties.
Rubber hoses will be better, easier to install it but I didn't find any supplier or brand for the hoses.
Unit is on the truck for more then 1 year, a couple weeks ago it was enough hot in GA to use it. Everything is working after winter.

What brand is the generator and motor on it?Currently I'm using gas powered one and looking to switch.Thanks for the postings!
replyreply
(04-18-2017 )mmssvv Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  Don't know exactly think it 410 like in any residential AC. Unit came precharged with copper lines. You have to vacuum system and open valves. I didn't cut lines because didn't have flaring tool and never did it before, wasn't sure it will not leak. Vibration isn't big problem. Just lot of zip ties.

What brand is the generator and motor on it?Currently I'm using gas powered one and looking to switch.Thanks for the postings!

It's ETQ brand. Scored it on local listing for $250. Now it out of production due to CARB regulation. Chinese knock off Yanmar L 70. Lot of this type generators available from army surplus. Diesel engines much noisier then gas powered. You was warned!!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mmssvv , barf
I did a post recently on this using a honda 2000. There is pictures of my setups. They work very well for us.
replyreply
05-02-2017, (Subject: Running generator instead of the apu ) 
I just ordered a Pioneer 12000 BTU system to put on my Cascadia. I will be using shore power or a 3100 watt inverter generator to power it.
replyreply
05-02-2017, (Subject: Running generator instead of the apu ) 
(05-02-2017 )Jon Mastin Wrote:  I just ordered a Pioneer 12000 BTU system to put on my Cascadia. I will be using shore power or a 3100 watt inverter generator to power it.
Let us now how it works for you

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
05-03-2017, (Subject: Running generator instead of the apu ) 
(05-02-2017 )Jon Mastin Wrote:  I just ordered a Pioneer 12000 BTU system to put on my Cascadia. I will be using shore power or a 3100 watt inverter generator to power it.
Few tips on installation.
Measure the distance between trailer and cab in all worst case scenario we have, 90 degree turn, dip or high RR crossing to make sure trailer lobe will not hit condenser.
Cover upper bad and have someone with good vacuum to collect the dust before drill the hole. Cab is fiberglass.
If you decide to DIY everything you need vacuum pump with manifold and special adapter
https://amzn.to/2Y7gQQa
Copper pipe bending requires extra patience. Use solid wire to make a template before bending pipes. You don't have second chance with this.
Many truck stops parking isn't level. Piece of wood 6x6 under front wheel will help keep right level to drain condensate outside if parking spot choice is limited.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jon Mastin , Waterloo , barf
06-13-2017, (Subject: Running generator instead of the apu ) 
Here's mine.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Rawze , gatow900 , barf , Zusky407

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.