Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know
08-13-2017, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
RE: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know
That's understandable I've done the 871 with pin and wedges just was not thinking the 2250 is a common rail.
Back to my original question though say I have a 870 871 or a 2250 which to be exact I have a 871 in my shop now coolant in oil. I resampled still there pulled the pan with psi on my coolant system #2 liner leaking not horrible but it was leaking. The rod and main bearings looked not so good and the cams needed replaced there was a bad delete on this truck I'm sure of 485,000miles. So the owner said rather rebuild it then just replace a couple bad parts so I agreed if it was my truck start fresh also(without bad tune) did new liners, pistons, head, cams, oil pump, water pump I left the turbo on there it's was a year old in June and the kept original rods and injectors.. So if this 871 was tore down knowing parts that I needed to put in what could be done differently the cams from a 600 injectors pistons? What could I have changed for the better?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  IMG_3503.JPG (Size: 1.81 MB / Downloads: 46)
.jpg  IMG_3502.JPG (Size: 1.59 MB / Downloads: 40)
replyreply
rod/main bearings look that engine has had a hard life but I have seen worse.

No need to try to modify anything, you are over-thinking it.

All genuine cummins parts, Counter-bore it and raise the liner height to 0.014" on all cylinders while your in-framing it, new oil pump with 6 - 8 dimes shimm in the springs, better programming. if the head is more than 450k miles old, throw it in the trash and buy a brand spanking new one,... not re-man.

When you do the 300-ft lbs on the head bolts, let it sit overnight 24 hours. Then the next day, re-torque to 300 ft lbs again a second time. Most of the bolts will go another 1/4 - 1/2 turn... After that, you should take them the other 90 degrees for the final setting like the book says.

Make damn sure you measure those wrist pin bushings on them really well. I think cummins spec has it as being min 2.5020 max 2.5030. When they are 0.001" out of spec, the engine will only last half million miles and might throw a piston, at 0.002" out of spec, engine will only last 250-300k miles, and at 0.004" it is a time bomb. <<- bad deletes are notorious to make the wrist pin bushings get out of round.

Head is the weak point on them, not worth trying to save it, or put a re-man on it. you will be pulling it off in another 250k miles if you try to save money on it. Take that advice on someone who has seen it too many times.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze, a guy hooked me up with reprogramming I'm sure you would approve of him. I didn't know about the head bolts leaving them sit overnight I put all new bolts in too I wish I wouldn't have did the 90 degrees on them now because that's where I stopped Friday waiting on cams. I checked my liner protrusion and all of them were .010 +/-.0005 after working on mostly cats these were the best I've ever seen also I went by cummins spec when I checked these so I thought I was good. Wrist pin bushings looked great also within spec I was surprised on this and the liner protrusion I definitely thought I would see more wear. And why cummins sells a kit for and overhaul with liners pistons head gasket oil pans gaskets and no connecting rods? Cat sells there's in a cylinder pack new pistons rods liner and bearings when they come there pre assembled in the liner so no need for installing rings(maybe it's better to install everything yourself though see what's actually there) Do you think it's bad not redoing it to .014? The head is brand new also. Oil pump is brand new also is there any info on the shim mod?
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  ... Oil pump is brand new also is there any info on the shim mod?

I think you will find this helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHaDYh1DQUM
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hetdiesel
(08-13-2017 )ZeroNthedark Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  ... Oil pump is brand new also is there any info on the shim mod?

I think you will find this helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHaDYh1DQUM

Thanks I just was skimming through the videos on the top of the page looking for it.
Is there any threads going on here talking about it? How it reacts?
replyreply
08-14-2017, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
10 thou is too low, honestly it just wont last. it will go for awhile but you will being doing it sooner than if it would have been at 14 or 15. it will also take very little shi#t and abuse before going quicker. ive gone as high as 18, but that was a specific thing.

if your there cut em to 14 and be done with it. im so sick of hearing "its within spec" from dealerships/shops. i dont see a "its within spec" on cummins engine specs. 90% of shops wouldnt cut em and just let it roll and you will be back again later.

my 0.02c

P.S. - i recently just fire ringed a ISX with Cryogenic Bolts. Being the first ISX i did it turned out great and honestly that setup is stout and if i owned my personal truck i would do it to it. much beefier than OEM fire rings and the install was easy and very inexpensive. maybe 1000 bucks more than stock. time will tell how it holds up but from just the materials used and my general opinon on the install i believe it will eliminate most head gasket issues on a ISX. just food for thought
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , Texasdude74
(08-14-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  10 thou is too low, honestly it just wont last. it will go for awhile but you will being doing it sooner than if it would have been at 14 or 15. it will also take very little shi#t and abuse before going quicker. ive gone as high as 18, but that was a specific thing.

if your there cut em to 14 and be done with it. im so sick of hearing "its within spec" from dealerships/shops. i dont see a "its within spec" on cummins engine specs. 90% of shops wouldnt cut em and just let it roll and you will be back again later.

my 0.02c

P.S. - i recently just fire ringed a ISX with Cryogenic Bolts. Being the first ISX i did it turned out great and honestly that setup is stout and if i owned my personal truck i would do it to it. much beefier than OEM fire rings and the install was easy and very inexpensive. maybe 1000 bucks more than stock. time will tell how it holds up but from just the materials used and my general opinon on the install i believe it will eliminate most head gasket issues on a ISX. just food for thought

When you guys cut these I watched rawze video and he adding a shim there after there cut to achieve his end .014. So there's now 2 shims installed is there a way to pull the shim off the bottom of the liner and have a new one made in my case .010 where the surface looks great and the protrusion doesn't vary could .004 be added to the making of the new shim in the making of that new shim and achieve the same goal?
replyreply
(08-14-2017 )Hetdiesel Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  10 thou is too low, honestly it just wont last. it will go for awhile but you will being doing it sooner than if it would have been at 14 or 15. it will also take very little shi#t and abuse before going quicker. ive gone as high as 18, but that was a specific thing.

my 0.02c

When you guys cut these I watched rawze video and he adding a shim there after there cut to achieve his end .014. So there's now 2 shims installed is there a way to pull the shim off the bottom of the liner and have a new one made in my case .010 where the surface looks great and the protrusion doesn't vary could .004 be added to the making of the new shim in the making of that new shim and achieve the same goal?

i personally have never changed the thickness of the liner shim, but i have had them cut from stainless. i see no reason why you could not have them cut with 4 more thou to get your protrusion up there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(08-14-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  i personally have never changed the thickness of the liner shim, but i have had them cut from stainless. i see no reason why you could not have them cut with 4 more thou to get your protrusion up there.

Can you explain the stainless how that works pros and cons?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.