Fan clutch and hub
10-10-2017, (Subject: Fan clutch and hub ) 
Fan clutch and hub
So at 630K a check of the thickness of my fan clutch liner, from the outside, shows it still has plenty of wear left. When I remove the belt the hub bearings also show no signs of excess play. However, I am preparing to do the vibe dampner and since I will be removing most everything on the front of the truck, and as it looks like it would be a bitch to service the fan without, I am thinking of just going ahead and resetting the clock on the fan. I have been doing some research into fan clutch and hub rebuild kits and such. The rebuild process doesn't look too bad. Kit masters has you tube videos on the rebuild of the clutch and hub, and I think my little harbor freight "cheapy" press will be more than sufficient for pressing the bearings in and out of the hub.

My questions: Rebuild the clutch and hub, new seals, liner, and hub bearings? Or replace with a new complete unit?

Also, has anyone used kit masters for purchasing a rebuild kit? What did you think?

If replacing, stay with Kysor/Borg Warner? or convert to something else? Horton?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
10-11-2017, (Subject: Fan clutch and hub ) 
RE: Fan clutch and hub
C’mon....no takers???

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
I don't know what the market is like in the US, but in Australia you can spend over $4,000 on a complete Horton fan hub, or about $600 on an overhaul kit that includes about 70% of the whole assembly. I've rebuilt Kysor, Horton Drivemaster & Horton Single Speed types - There's nothing about any of them that you won't be able to work out. Just make sure you can apply pressure to it on the bench to test before fitting it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , Waterloo , hhow55
(10-11-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  C’mon....no takers???

I replaced mine with borg werner when I did my damper just because I had the front structure off.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
What kind of truck do you have?

I used clutch master remans. The 1st one gave out after a month so they warrantied it. The 2nd was good for 6 months so far.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Brock: I have a Volvo with a 2250.

replyreply
Ok, I was just asking cause on the prostars, the top of the fan shroud easily comes off which makes it simple to do fan/hub work.

Volvos are a asshole to do it lol

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , fargonaz
My borg warner finally failed at 750k miles. Was an oem with a mfg date of 04/10 so I know it was never touched because it was a fleet truck and they just replace at failure rather than rebuild. The hub portion was $1700 and the clutch was $450. I only did the clutch as the hub had no rough feeling in the bearings and no play at all. As far as reliability I don't think one surpasses the other imo. I think borg warners are cheaper to replace than hortons though.

Edit-When I was replacing my clutch I was talking to my international parts guy about the hub and he told me straight out they do not stock it because it is such a rare item to fail they only have to order one or two per year.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , redbeard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.