My Pete rebuild
06-16-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
On another note - since this is my first wet sleeved diesel ... anything, and I have zero prior knowledge, can someone tell me if this is normal or cause for concern (ie - junk it)?

Edit to add: In theory, I can't see how this is anything other than casting marks - there shouldn't be any pressure on either side of the deck here to speak of?

replyreply
(06-16-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  What part of the country are you in?

NE of Pittsburgh, PA.
replyreply
See that every now and then. I always take a VERY THIN layer of detroit jelly and put it on the edge there just incase.....Just take your finger and lightly go around the edge there to fill any voids. Done this many times on detroit's where electrolysis eat its way to the flange, Years ago before you could cut them like today...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
I know you are using after-market internals for that engine. All I will say is that you should not expect it to least a million miles like that. - I can't tell you how many people i have met in the past who tried to save a few $$$ here and there with those kits, heads, cranks, etc.etc. and such only to regret it later. -- They WILL bite you in the arsse and to put it bluntly, if you were doing this for other people, I would tell others to run like hell away from your shop.

Commercial truck engines are NOT car engines. They need to be absolutely reliable and to precision factory spec with factory spec metallurgy if someone is going to sink tens of thousands into one to get it right. I sure hope you have your plastigauge and micrometers handy to measure, spec, and fit all that after-market crap together properly,... your going to need it to get it right.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
(06-16-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I know you are using after-market internals for that engine. All I will say is that you should not expect it to least a million miles like that. - I can't tell you how many people i have met in the past who tried to save a few $$$ here and there with those kits, heads, cranks, etc.etc. and such only to regret it later. -- They WILL bite you in the arsse and to put it bluntly, if you were doing this for other people, I would tell others to run like hell away from your shop.

Commercial truck engines are NOT car engines. They need to be absolutely reliable and to precision factory spec with factory spec metallurgy if someone is going to sink tens of thousands into one to get it right. I sure hope you have your plastigauge and micrometers handy to measure, spec, and fit all that after-market crap together properly,... your going to need it to get it right.

I knew your view when I wrote up the post - I'm just surprised it took this long lol. I've seen a lot of factory 871's that never made it past 600k for one reason or another. One could use the exact same argument on automotive parts as well.

That said, I do/did admit the crank was a gamble. I won't even mention that I'm trying to decide if I want to compound the gamble by sticking a Dorman dampener on the front.

I can't think of a single mechanical failure of a Dorman hard part. Anything with electronics attached to it is another story, but even then, cost vs anticipated lifespan that makes a decision.
replyreply
06-17-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(06-16-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(06-16-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I know you are using after-market internals for that engine. All I will say is that you should not expect it to least a million miles like that. - I can't tell you how many people i have met...

I knew your view when I wrote up the post - I'm just surprised it took this long lol. I've seen a lot of ...

I wish you could have been with me and Rawze when we visited that concrete outfit with the Fitzgerald, aftermarket parts, built motors. They had a 200,000 mile lifespan, then in frame. It was pretty sad. The aftermarket parts were the issue, and they bought well over a hundred of these trucks with these motors. They have a good handle on these aftermarket parts and will no longer use them, even the warranty ones Fitzgerald sent them to repair the motors. Those aftermarket replacement parts sit on a shelf in the back room, only OEM Detroit and Cummins parts are installed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , PuroCumminsPower
(06-17-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  I wish you could have been with me and Rawze when we visited that concrete outfit with the Fitzgerald, aftermarket parts, built motors. They had a 200,000 mile lifespan, then in frame. It was pretty sad. The aftermarket parts were the issue, and they bought well over a hundred of these trucks with these motors. They have a good handle on these aftermarket parts and will no longer use them, even the warranty ones Fitzgerald sent them to repair the motors. Those aftermarket replacement parts sit on a shelf in the back room, only OEM Detroit and Cummins parts are installed.
There is dealer in il , sells used fitzerald gliders. A lot of them rebuilt at 500,000miles. Now I dont wonder why.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower
Degreased, derusted, and ready for counterbores to be cut. Haven't decided if I'm buying the cutter or hiring this one out.
replyreply
06-18-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
If I already had the block stripped down like you do..... it would go to a engine machine shop 100%. They can do a way more precise cut than you ever could, you can even get them to check the crankshaft to make sure it's not bent a bit as they can straighten them.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , PuroCumminsPower

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.