x15
06-18-2018, (Subject: x15 ) 
x15
can someone tell me why this new motor has a naturally aspirated air compressor and why not a regular one like on my old cat
replyreply
06-18-2018, (Subject: x15 ) 
RE: x15
(06-18-2018 )Trucker58 Wrote:  can someone tell me why this new motor has a naturally aspirated air compressor and why not a regular one like on my old cat
naturally aspirated air compressor? If were talking air compressor like what puts air in your tanks? not sure if I have ever heard of a air compressor that is not naturally aspirated? I mean I have never heard one called that but basically the term means it doesn't have a separate means to increase flow? like turbocharged or supercharged? its ....normal?
Well ......I have a lot to learn here ...didn't know that
replyreply
06-19-2018, (Subject: x15 ) 
(06-18-2018 )Trucker58 Wrote:  can someone tell me why this new motor has a naturally aspirated air compressor and why not a regular one like on my old cat

There have been many complaints about soot from the EGR and leak oil from the turbocharger getting into the air compressors and air tanks on older model engines. I would suspect that would be why they changed it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Moose
(06-18-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
naturally aspirated air compressor? If were talking air compressor like what puts air in your tanks? not sure if I have ever heard of a air compressor that is not naturally aspirated? I mean I have never heard one called that but basically the term means it doesn't have a separate means to increase flow? like turbocharged or supercharged? its ....normal?

Your air compressor on the older engines are plumbed into your intake manifold... Hence they are in fact turbocharged
replyreply
(06-19-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  There have been many complaints about soot from the EGR and leak oil from the turbocharger getting into the air compressors and air tanks on older model engines. I would suspect that would be why they changed it.

That would be exactly why. Breathing in the soot from the EGR could cause premature wear/blow-by on the compressors just as the engines. There are kits out for other ISX to change them to N/A.
replyreply
The early cm870 had such good complaints of soot being pumped thru the air compressor that it would fill the air tank completely full and wouldn't have enough volume to release the brakes. Then they changed the Venturi pipe design to keep the EGR downstream far enough from the compressor intake line.

Naturally aspirated certainly cures that problem from ever happening. But then again brings back all those wonderful problems from way back in the day. Moisture, dirt and all the great things the running environment bring. Where did they locate the inlet hose and does it have a serviceable filter?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.