My Pete rebuild
08-11-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(08-11-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Your assumption or source of info is incorrect for that particular application. 609 is for fine micron, high polished, no clearance applications and 680 is for rougher steel with larger micron gaps in the fit. They are 2 quite different products. The 680 has a much higher expansion rate that is not suited for fine finish applications. The 680 will expand too much and possibly cause issues and/or the fine micron high polished surfaces to slip under separation.

You missed my implication of "in a crunch". If for some reason, I was broke down in hostile territory (think New Jersey), and I had 680, I'd use it to get home. If I didn't have anything, I'd use that to get home too lol. How the hell did I end up in Jersey again?

Maybe it's what the last guy used to put mine on, they came off with a little more than light hand pressure. I was really expecting to torque before they popped loose, but they pretty much moved as soon as I got the puller snugged up.
replyreply
08-14-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I noticed you had a magnetic base dial indicator on the back of the crankshaft to mic the flywheel housing. How did you center it?
replyreply
08-14-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
It doesn't need to be centered, just solid. Once you zero the indicator, you're centered. Sounds wrong at first, huh? Think of it this way, the dial and the base doesn't move at all, you're spinning the flywheel housing and block around the solid, non moving crank.

The mount pictured in quickserve looks prettier tho lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pearce trucking
08-15-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
5 months in, and I'm still blown away at the trucking $ervice indu$try. Called for a steering gear price - $1634 plus $562 core. I'm like, wow, my quote a few weeks ago was for $1282. Ok, we can do that. So I countered, you know, Kenworth in Ohio has that for $990. Hold on - ok, $980 w/exchange. Greedy much?

I've made a few "good faith" orders locally without price shopping. I guess that needs to stop.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , redbeard , in2trux , pearce trucking , snailexpress , Brock , Mrkentee , flatbed94kid
08-18-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
When I was 14 or 15, I bought a 77 Mustang roller to put together for my first car. There was no google or internet, and I didn't know a thing about what I was doing. I remember trying to get the firewall ready for paint, but the wiring harness was always in the way. All these plugs to who knows what, so I proceeded to cut the harness off the firewall, pretty much flush lol.

Later, as I stood there, ready for the praise on how well I did cleaning things up, dad's eyes went straight to the shiny copper ends of those poor wires poking out of the firewall.

I can still hear hear him yelling lol.

That said, I have to admit, the 14 year old boy in me is getting pretty annoyed with all these wires and plugs to who knows what lol.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: pearce trucking , indian_richard
(08-18-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  When I was 14 or 15, I bought a 77 Mustang roller to put together for my first car. There was no google or internet, and I didn't know a thing about what I was doing. I remember trying to get the firewall ready for paint, but the wiring harness was always in the way. All these plugs to who knows what, so I proceeded to cut the harness off the firewall, pretty much flush lol.

Later, as I stood there, ready for the praise on how well I did cleaning things up, dad's eyes went straight to the shiny copper ends of those poor wires poking out of the firewall.

I can still hear hear him yelling lol.

That said, I have to admit, the 14 year old boy in me is getting pretty annoyed with all these wires and plugs to who knows what lol.

Experience is directly proportional to things ruined.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Signature620
(08-18-2018 )kryten Wrote:  Experience is directly proportional to things ruined.

In the corporate world, the rule of thumb is also ...

For every f*kup, you need no less than 5 'atta-boys to make up for it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , kryten , Toolguy
(08-18-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-18-2018 )kryten Wrote:  Experience is directly proportional to things ruined.

In the corporate world, the rule of thumb is also ...

For every f*kup, you need no less than 5 'atta-boys to make up for it.

I wish life in general was that forgiving. In my experience, f*kups follow you forever, yet perfection is an illusion just beyond reach.
replyreply
Cleaning up the frame rails would be so much easier without all that crap in the way.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.