My Pete rebuild
09-09-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(09-09-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  Yes. I had to replace mine, and I took it apart and looked at it before I returned it for the core.
Its a fairly simple mechanism. There's a circuit board with a gear that is driven by it. Then two gears that the aforementioned gear drives, and they in turn drive the one that sticks out the bottom. All the grease was dried up on mine, and the bearings were pretty well seized. You shouldn't ruin anything by disassembling it carefully. You may get lucky and be able to loosen up the works. But I imagine that they're getting to the end of their useful life. Have you had any codes or boost issues with it before?

Any gaskets to worry about tearing? I pulled it off and sprayed some Amsoil MP up the gear bearing and the recessed idler and it seems to be a little quieter, but it's probably needs from fresh grease on things. It went through the install and cal process with no issues, and I filled the coolant.

Quote:Have you had any codes or boost issues with it before?

Well, on the bright side, no. But then again, as long as I've owned it, this truck has never made any boost, never used oil, and it's hasn't even used a drop of fuel lol.

Still not too sure about why the coolant/oil codes won't go away, unless it needs to run a cycle? I monitored the sensor data, and the oil temp did respond when I heated the block under the sensor, so it's not a sensor or wiring issue.
replyreply
I'm not certain, but I think there was a rubber one that shouldn't be a problem.
No help on the temps in insite.
replyreply
Well, oil is fully primed, pan is full and I read 20 psi cranking. (Ironically, cranking was enough to clear my temp codes) I think I'm going to pull fuel from a bucket to flush the return lines and the tanks since I have drains on the bottoms.

Anyone know
1 - how many gpm these flow? Not sure if I can run from a 5 gallon bucket, or if I'd be better off pulling from a 55 gallon drum?

2- all I have is off road fuel on hand - all that will be left is whatever fills the filters and head, and lines, there shouldn't be more than a couple gallons of it in the system once I'm done - any clue if that would be enough to stain 100 gallons of fresh fuel?
replyreply
(09-09-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Well, oil is fully primed, pan is full and I read 20 psi cranking. (Ironically, cranking was enough to clear my temp codes) I think I'm going to pull fuel from a bucket to flush the return lines and the tanks since I have drains on the bottoms.

Anyone know
1 - how many gpm these flow? Not sure if I can run from a 5 gallon bucket, or if I'd be better off pulling from a 55 gallon drum?

2- all I have is off road fuel on hand - all that will be left is whatever fills the filters and head, and lines, there shouldn't be more than a couple gallons of it in the system once I'm done - any clue if that would be enough to stain 100 gallons of fresh fuel?

1-Using the electric primer pump to prime the system, a 5 gallon pail will be fine. And if you're gonna crank, it will still be fine. If it fires, don't leave it run very long.
2-No, you'll be fine. Once you fill your truck, even with only dual 100 gal tanks, you'd be lucky to have 100:1 clear to dyed fuel. If it is noticable, it won't be the second time you fuel...but it shouldn't be anyway.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
09-12-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I'm sure someone with a better ear than me will tell me some dreadful news, but she runs...

Lift pump sounds like it's seen better days and I primed it with seafoam to get it to pull a vacuum - actually expected more smoke.

As much as I wanted to avoid having to do anything fuel related, I'll have to find what's causing the miss and roughness, but at least once I get driveshafts on I won't have to push and pull the thing in and out anymore.
(ETA - didn't realize how much the box the phone was on would move from the fan - sorry if anyone gets seasick)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
09-13-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
If that was the initial start up. Then it didn't sound to bad. My new long block sounded just like that. It ran slightly rough for 20 min. Then we shut it down, checked and topped off fluids then took it for a 30 min bobtail drive, pushing it 70% throttle up and down a couple big hills to settle it in. Then i hooked my trailer and picked up a load and drove it 450 miles home with 70-80% throttle. Changed the oil and went right back into full service.
replyreply
09-13-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
That was 2nd start. Initial start video was over 4 minutes. A big hurdle is the fact that I can't really test drive it. I have a lot of catch 22's to sort through. It's a salvage certificate, so I need to have an enhanced inspection done to get the title. To get the title, I either have to pay sales tax on the purchase & repairs, or supply a valid PUC # by either having an active authority, or being leased on to someone. It's too early in the game to commit to leasing on to someone, and first year entrant insurance is too expensive for it to sit for 4-6 months, so it pushes so many things out to the final moments to create some nice stress.

Here's my 1st start:

I have a lot of air lines to finish and leaks to find so that the compressor will kick off, but I still think it's a little rough.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard
09-14-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Don't run it too much without a load on the engine otherwise you could glaze the cylinders and the rings will never seat. Need to get it out and put about 70% load on it to seat them rings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Tanker93 , Rawze
09-16-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Hooked up the air hoses I've replaced already and it feels like I'm one of 3 stooges.

Just as I get things sealed up enough for the compressor to shut off I hear the storm at the firewall to give me more junk parts to add the pile.

I still need to replace a couple pressure protection valves, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and replace everything while I'm at it. No major hissing, but it drains both tanks to zero overnight. Hood is back on, and now battery box on passenger side needs to come off and the rest of the frame cleaned up.

I have a bad habit of finding a new distraction and just walking away from these projects, but I guess on the plus side, the size of the truck means I can't put it in a corner of a room to forget about, but I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Diesel_Pusher

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.