EGR ?
03-14-2019, (Subject: EGR ? ) 
EGR ?
What controls the opening and closing of the EGR valve? Is it several perimeters from several sensors? I’m just wondering if it would be possible to tune out the EGR? I know some older diesel pickup trucks EGR was mainly controlled be inlet air temp. I don’t mind the DPF or DEF stuff butt hate that my ISX has to run of its own exhaust.

Probably a stupid question but if there are guys that can tune a demandate why can’t we tune a EGR to stay closed without messing anything else up?

I want to demandate so bad but at the same time would like to stay legal without the high maintenance
replyreply
RE: EGR ?
I should have said stay more legal with just a inoperable EGR. LOL
replyreply
Programing out the egr has the same ramifications as deleting it entirely. Any modifications in any way to any emissions component is illegal.
replyreply
I understand that but a tuned out EGR is the same as a faulty one ain’t it.
I would settle for a switch in the cab to just turn it off when I have to idle.

I have researched this till I’m cross eyed and can’t find any other way to keep inside of intake and head cleaned out besides water injection which I know nothing about
replyreply
(03-14-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  What controls the opening and closing of the EGR valve? Is it several perimeters from several sensors? I’m just wondering if it would be possible to tune out the EGR? I know some older diesel pickup trucks EGR was mainly controlled be inlet air temp. I don’t mind the DPF or DEF stuff butt hate that my ISX has to run of its own exhaust.

Probably a stupid question but if there are guys that can tune a demandate why can’t we tune a EGR to stay closed without messing anything else up?

I want to demandate so bad but at the same time would like to stay legal without the high maintenance

The question your asking is like asking "Fish breathe oxygen too,.. so why can't they just live on land?-- because I Like to be around fish, but I don't like water ".

Removing only the EGR is not possible without shutting down the rest of the systems along with it. The whole purpose of the EGR valve and circuit is to regulate exhaust temperatures (to roughly about 550 degrees or so) so that the DOC and DPF ( + SCR) system can operate at their optimum temperatures. -- With no EGR valve, there is no regulation of these temperatures any more and those other system will not function correctly.

BTW: The engine already has a system in place that will shut the EGR valve,... unplugging the EGR temperature sensor closes the valve and sends the engine into one of its factory programmed non-egr modes. This is because the engine computer will assume the gas temp is too high (because it can no longer read it) and dangerous for the engine. Some people use this trick to troubleshoot the EGR system,.. but like i said above,,.. the rest of the emissions systems will shut down and stop working too,.. because there is no more regulation of exhaust temps any more. -- On anything newer than a CM871,.. you will get a derate after a while as well, but on the other hand,.. there has been some people disable this derate so that they can get away with it for a week or 2 at a time,.. plug it back so that they can use insite to do a forced regen to unclog the DPF (because it clogs up after a while from not being able to clean itself),.. and go again. Some company drivers that drive for the mega-fleets that offer prizes for the trucks wit the best fuel mileage used to do this trick (back when they all ran CM870/CM871's ) to cheat and win those "high fuel milage" competitions. I know one guy over at {name removed} transport say to me once that his buddy won a harley-davison motorcycle that way once.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Geared_Cortex
So the EGR opens or closes to regulate the temperatures at the DOC? So I’m assuming it CLOSES up more to get the temp up at the DOC.

I’m really trying to just wrap my head around how it works.

If you could get the DOC inlet temp sensor to read a few hundred degrees less would it not keep the EGR closed more often?

If this can’t be done which looks like it can’t be how would you go about keeping the system cleaned out? Pull CAC off intake and borascope inside intake and head to determine when a manual cleaning is needed?
replyreply
(03-14-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  ...
how would you go about keeping the system cleaned out? Pull CAC off intake and borascope inside intake and head to determine when a manual cleaning is needed?

Do an EGR tune-up once a year and clean out the soot from the pipes, etc. - that is how you stay on top of it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ironhead , DSTdriver
(03-14-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  What controls the opening and closing of the EGR valve? Is it several perimeters from several sensors? I’m just wondering if it would be possible to tune out the EGR? I know some older diesel pickup trucks EGR was mainly controlled be inlet air temp. I don’t mind the DPF or DEF stuff butt hate that my ISX has to run of its own exhaust.

I read these posts and I think truckers think that if I cheat this sensor or unplug that sensor it will all be good. This ain’t the year 2000 and this ain’t your pickup truck. These computers are damn smart. These guys here know how to tune them better and stay factory. The problem is there’s 2 or three of them and a million of us. So you have to stay up with mantianance oil bypass filter to help clean soot out of oil. Keep plenty of map sensors around. I once was a sensor cheating pickup tuner guy from the 2000. That don’t work anymore.
replyreply
03-16-2019, (Subject: EGR ? ) 
(03-14-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  

The question your asking is like asking "Fish breathe oxygen too,.. so why can't they just live on land?-- because I Like to be around fish, but I don't like water ".

Removing only the EGR is not possible without shutting down the rest of the systems along with it. The whole purpose of the EGR valve and circuit is to regulate exhaust temperatures (to roughly about 550 degrees or so) so that the DOC and DPF ( + SCR) system can operate at their optimum temperatures. -- With no EGR valve, there is no regulation of these temperatures any more and those other system will not function correctly.

BTW: The engine already has a system in place that will shut the EGR valve,... unplugging the EGR temperature sensor closes the valve and sends the engine into one of its factory programmed non-egr modes. This is because the engine computer will assume the gas temp is too high (because it can no longer read it) and dangerous for the engine. Some people use this trick to troubleshoot the EGR system,.. but like i said above,,.. the rest of the emissions systems will shut down and stop working too,.. because there is no more regulation of exhaust temps any more. -- On anything newer than a CM871,.. you will get a derate after a while as well, but on the other hand,.. there has been some people disable this derate so that they can get away with it for a week or 2 at a time,.. plug it back so that they can use insite to do a forced regen to unclog the DPF (because it clogs up after a while from not being able to clean itself),.. and go again. Some company drivers that drive for the mega-fleets that offer prizes for the trucks wit the best fuel mileage used to do this trick (back when they all ran CM870/CM871's ) to cheat and win those "high fuel milage" competitions. I know one guy over at {name removed} transport say to me once that his buddy won a harley-davison motorcycle that way once.

{text removed} I did all the egr tune up's and changed all the sensors and filters and the truck runs soooo much smoother now I cant thank you enough for those step by step videos . I felt it the most after I changed my Delta-P sensor , man that engine had never been given so much love and the sound of it now is so sweet to the ear . I had an average 5 mpg before , seen's then (Last week )didnt go trough a full tank yet but I'm confident it will improve by the way its behaving now . I will let you know the improvement . My question is what if I unplug the magic plug a week and then plug it back for like 2 days then back to unplug and on and on . Would it be enough to clean it's self or I really have to go trough a forced regen or is it just bad to do that over all . I'm thinking also that seens its gonna think that the egt are to high to read then its probably gonna be conservative about the boost so it wont fry the turbo , if i'm thinking right then what's the pros and cons of such pre programmed non egr mode vs other modes or tune . I understand the law about that I'm just concerned about my baby engine's health . BTW it's a prostar 2011 with ISX 485 07-09 .It has 391 500 milles but shows 11 000 hours . and whats the best way to unplug it ? Truck off or on or key in acc or something else ?
thanks in advance

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar daycab cm871 485
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.