X15 break-in questions
05-21-2019, (Subject: X15 break-in questions ) 
X15 break-in questions
So recently I have bought a new Volvo VNL860 with an X15 performance series 505hp 1850tq CPL 4343 and ECM Code HD10381 and i'm just past the 9,000 mile mark which begs the question when should the first oil change be done at? My gut tells me it should've been done around the 5k mark, the big red engine maker says follow the regular service interval (yeah right), my mechanic says the engine is factory filled with break-in oil and to leave it for the first 30k (very skeptical about that) Is there a straight answer to this question? Personally I change the oil every 12-15k, is there also a factory power derate that goes away after the first 40k or so? This I ask because my boost gauge will go slightly over 30lbs then fall back to about 25lbs, the pyro rarely climbs over 900 degrees, actually settles around 910ish on a long pull with the foot to the floor above 1500rpm. I'm planning to have the overhead ran and egr tune-up done annually then a de-mandate once the warranty is up. Along with the fuel pump rebuild at 300k. an oil bypass filter is on my to-do list but i'm having the issue to where to put the thing at..
replyreply
RE: X15 break-in questions
I've never dealt with a new Volvo, but on a KW, they go back to the dealer after 10,000km and have every oil in the whole vehicle changed.
replyreply
Break in oil??? Yeah right. I changed the oil in my X15 twice by 10,000 mi. But I go by hours not miles.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
I would imagine your owners manual will give you information on what Cummins specifically recommends. My cm870 had details on what to do and why, in the Cummins owners manual that came with the truck. They built it. Im sure they don't want warranty claims right out the gate. So if i were you I'd read in to it and maybe do things a little sooner if you're cautious or concerned. I don't think they've ever had to pay a claim because someone changed the oil to much.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
05-24-2019, (Subject: X15 break-in questions ) 
(05-21-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I would imagine your owners manual will give you information on what Cummins specifically recommends. My cm870 had details on what to do and why, in the Cummins owners manual that came with the truck. They built it. Im sure they don't want warranty claims right out the gate. So if i were you I'd read in to it and maybe do things a little sooner if you're cautious or concerned. I don't think they've ever had to pay a claim because someone changed the oil to much.
That's one of the first things I looked at but there's nothing in the manual including the one on quickserve regarding break-in procedures unless it's on the paperback version which I guess did not come with the truck. I have noticed another user on here said their X15 oil pressure when driving sits around 32psi and mine is the same as well maybe it's a Volvo thing for the gauge to read low, did the same on my cm870, maybe it's the 10w30 oil I don't know. Either way it's getting changed when I get back. No complaints on how the truck drives so far compared to my old bucket of bolts I wish I crashed sooner before I spent $10k and three weeks down, thanks for the jinx btw Rawze i wished you would've said it before I came to your neck of the woods! Lmao
replyreply
05-24-2019, (Subject: X15 break-in questions ) 
from what ive been told theres not much of a break in period any more for all parts mainly just rings getting seated as the tolerances and machining processes are supposidly so much more advanced.

and i kind of beleive it as there are 1,000s of trucks that go to company drivers that get held to the floor all day every day as they chase the almighty penny per mile and dont get there first oil change for 35-50k miles

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
05-26-2019, (Subject: X15 break-in questions ) 
I always thought they put them on a dyno at the cummins factory to seat the rings before sending them to the chassis assembly plant.

Dyno setup looks like a generator head to load the engine up to a specified amount.
replyreply
i know some car engine manufacturers do that.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I wouldn’t be surprised. Mine does very light duty work, licensed for 44,000lbs GVW. No oil consumption after the first 12,000 miles. Last time I broke an engine in doing this job was after inframing an Acert Cat and it always used oil after that, I’m assuming it never got a chance to work hard enough to seat the rings properly.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.