Over pressurized antifreeze tank
04-18-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
Over pressurized antifreeze tank
Hello Ladies and Gents, another day and another problem in the trucking world.

My issue are two fold,

First I had my turbo rebuilt by YTS and recalibrated at a shop in N.J. everything seems fine
With no codes but when Im heavy and climbing a grade I can hear the turbo’s turbine spinning. It sounds like it’s over spinning or over working itself.

Second. I notice a little antifreeze was coming from a clamp on a hose. Upon further expectation I attempted to take the cap off of the antifreeze tank and the anti freeze shot out of the tank. It may be over heating or over pressurized. I’m not really sure. Once again no codes are showing

TIA on any advice
replyreply
RE: Over pressurized antifreeze tank
coolant system is supposed to have as much as 15 psi on it. - Remove the cap when it is at this kind of pressure, it is going to get everywhere, and possibly burn you. Never open the cap while it is under pressure.

If you suspect is is over-pressure, then start by replacing the pressure relief cap with a new one.

if you have turbo sounds that are not normal, it may be a bad mounting gasket of improperly torqued bolts or a myriad of things.

what is your boost getting up to in a hard pull?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
Sounds bit much on pressure. If gauge wasn't showing hot. I just climbed the hill to Le saure MN rest area bout 1/2mi full chooch temp was above 200 at crest. Hit fan override while slowing to enter rest area parked for 5min fan override still on. Shut it down popped cap an was like opening an unshaken soda.
replyreply
04-19-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
Lonestar your cap could be worn by letting to much pressure release and the OP's cap could be failing by not letting enough pressure out. Rawze was pointing out replacing the cap is a cheap quick way to insure its holding the correct pressure for the correct truck configuration.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-19-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
I cooled to 170 before opening. But today on 694 in Minneapolis popped a heater core hose or one of the T's to the apu broke now have on hose folded and ziptied other had a shutoff. Now trying to get home and replace all my hoses from engine all the way to apu.

Never ends with this thing.
replyreply
05-25-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
This is a shot in the dark but check this guys video, he's got some good info ! Sounds like your scenario.

https://youtu.be/oN3PsPLYWpI
replyreply
(05-25-2019 )justmyluck Wrote:  This is a shot in the dark but check this guys video, he's got some good info ! Sounds like your scenario.

https://youtu.be/oN3PsPLYWpI

I have never had any kind of consistent measurable luck using known to be bad, and known to be good engines with those napa liquid block tester kits. I have concluded at least on my end that they are useless for the most part.

other than that, the rest of the video and its findings are ok.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze, how do you check for exhaust gases in the coolant?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
(05-25-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Rawze, how do you check for exhaust gases in the coolant?

I use a long hose and pressure gauge at the the rad. cap and take it for a test drive with engine brakes on high. If it is building pressure, then you will see it rapidly on the gauge. either when you get on it hard, or when the engine brake kicks on. I also make sure there is a way I can relieve the pressure if it starts building up rapidly while driving.

BTW: The radiator pressure relief cap can easily keep up with the leak from the air compressor if that were the only issue in that video above. That truck owner in that video has a high likelihood of discovering later on that his engine is also to blame.

That much damage does not occur to the coolant system normally by only the air compressor pressurizing things alone. - 90% chance he also has a bad head gasket that only shows its ugly face under high load or engine braking. Could very well be the underlying cause of the air compressor head failure and all the secondary problems. There are exceptions but most of the time this is what I have seen when someone has a problem like that. They solve the air compressor problem only to discover a month or so later that they are still getting some type of abnormal pressure buildup and that their problems are bigger.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.