Over pressurized antifreeze tank
05-25-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
RE: Over pressurized antifreeze tank
Zip tie a rag over the coolant jug... That is how I got mine from Detroit to Rawze's compound in GA... I only needed one gallon of coolant for the 600 mile trip.

The NAPA block test kit has worked every time I have tried it... Just make sure the motor is warm, it may take up to 10 to 15 minutes to turn color if there is exhaust gas in the coolant. You blowing the APU hoses is exactly what mine was doing, #5 liner was the issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , HES
06-10-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
Ok so yesterday I had this exact same issue. 2012 cm2250 in 2013 kw t800. Pulled into an oil battery to unload and low coolant warning light came on. Cooled it down and added coolant. Next load I pulled a hill and oil temp crept up to 220 so got unloaded and limped it home. This morning I put a pressure gauge on coolant reservoir and ran the truck at high idle. Pressure builds to 19-20 psi.Try new pressure relief cap, still builds to 19-20 psi. Try unhooking air line on compressor to air dryer, still builds to 19-20 psi. Combustion gasses getting into coolant reservoir? Not good. No visible oil residue in the coolant. When I went to add coolant this morning before starting the truck there was still pressure in the coolant reservoir not a ton but enough to notice it when removing cap. There is excessive blowby coming out the oil fill cap and dip stick. It seems like oil though not burning coolant (doesn't smell like it and when I hold my hand over fill cap it is oil residue on hand). The truck has used about 2L of oil since fresh oil change. I chalked that up to oil pan gasket that needs to be changed... I am thinking the worst here now. One month into ownership and i'm going to be inframing this thing. What is my next step? Pressurize coolant system and check egr cooler for leaks? Drop oil, remove pan and pressurize coolant system and check for leaks overnight? Send oil sample to confirm coolant in oil?

Any help from more experienced members here is much appreciated.

Truck History: I bought this truck a month ago. Did EGR tuneup on it and had SCR replaced under warranty/recall. 2 weeks later getting dpf codes and engine de-rate. Shop manager recommends I take to local shop that company uses to have de-mandated (programming done by DS). Shop manager offered to have company pay for it and I can pay them back over the next couple months. When de-mandate was done I told them to leave HP stock at 525. My thinking was this was my best option to keep my wheels rolling and then I can get set up with insite and have a recommended person on here look at the programming in the near future. I have purchased inline/insite from ebay link waterloo posted on the site somewhere but do not have it installed on my computer yet.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201906/post_4291_1560192500_0c6079f10e294ae57de4e97ba6fc9521.jpg./uploads/201906/post_4291_1560192674_b4840a61c24ebe168fcd098f17984e79.jpg
replyreply
you split a piston from excessive timing and the bottom plate on the piston fell out, or you scored a liner, or you cracked the head so bad its into the crankcase.

Is the puff out the fill tube once per rotation or just constant? can you cut out cylinders and the puff goes away?

Having a blown head gasket will not make your blowby look like that - yes it looks like its pressurizing but that wont fill your crankcase with blowby.

my ass that program is stock power and has safe timing. Should pull it and have someone look at it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: HES
(06-10-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you split a piston from excessive timing and the bottom plate on the piston fell out, or you scored a liner, or you cracked the head so bad its into the crankcase.

Is the puff out the fill tube once per rotation or just constant? can you cut out cylinders and the puff goes away?

Having a blown head gasket will not make your blowby look like that - yes it looks like its pressurizing but that wont fill your crankcase with blowby.

my ass that program is stock power and has safe timing. Should pull it and have someone look at it.

Thank you for the quick reply. Puff out the fill tube is constant. I am not experienced enough to know how to cut out cylinders one at a time. Truck is at local shop now (NOT THE ONE THAT DID DE-MANDATE!). Will update with what they say but I'm preparing to go beg the bank for inframe money. Is there a Rawze.com recommended shop in Canada (Western Canada) for inframe?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I think your motor is toast per Unilever. And I would pull that “more than likely” bad programming and let someone here look at it. A bad program will destroy a motor in short order. Especially if the motor already is having mechanical issues. Sad. I know what you are about to go through, been through it twice, not program related, but two in frames in two years.

Shop that did my first one, licensed and certified Cummins repair facility, installed all of the wrong parts. Did nut cut block for liners, nor did they check for liner protrusion. They also did not use Loc-Tite 609 on my cam gears, nor did they lube the lower end bearings upon install, nor did they pre oil the motor upon startup. The motor was toast when I pulled it out of their shop.

Rawze saved my bacon, we rebuilt it in his driveway, and yes the dealer that did the work sent parts.

When you in frame, you better be helping or do it yourself if you do not want to be doing it again a few months down the road. Or, tow it to Mr Hagg’s shop down by Atlanta, oor up to Unilever if you are in Canada. Only two shops I would trust.
replyreply
(06-10-2019 )HES Wrote:  
(06-10-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you split a piston from excessive timing and the bottom plate on the piston fell out, or you scored a liner, or you cracked the head so bad its into the crankcase.

Thank you for the quick reply. Puff out the fill tube is constant. I am not experienced enough to know how to cut out cylinders one at a time. Truck is at local shop now (NOT THE ONE THAT DID DE-MANDATE!). Will update with what they say but I'm preparing to go beg the bank for inframe money. Is there a Rawze.com recommended shop in Canada (Western Canada) for inframe?

Unilever, he is your Western Canadian man with the shop. Lucky you, and no sarcasm intended. Call him.
replyreply
Thanks Waterloo, its always good to know someone else has been through it and come out the other side. I have PM'd Unilever.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
You are in good and very competent hands. Good luck, it’s no fun, but you’ll make it.
replyreply
07-10-2019, (Subject: Over pressurized antifreeze tank ) 
(04-18-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Sounds bit much on pressure. If gauge wasn't showing hot. I just climbed the hill to Le saure MN rest area bout 1/2mi full chooch temp was above 200 at crest. Hit fan override while slowing to enter rest area parked for 5min fan override still on. Shut it down popped cap an was like opening an unshaken soda.

Just thought I’ll share this: I tested my cap using the pressure test kit and it didn’t hold pressure at all, that’s how I knew my cap was shot.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.