Why is my oil black?
10-11-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
RE: Why is my oil black?
With my cm870 and it's uni tune, I'm currently at 7,500 miles on the oil and I can still plainly see and read the add/fill marks on the dipstick through the oil. It's not as clean has your guys's pictures. But I'm also not running a bypass filter either.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne
10-11-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-11-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ...But I'm also not running a bypass filter either....

Unfortunately, neither am I...yet. That will be a project for mid November once things slow down a bit. For now, daily checks and rechecks, along with short oil change intervals.
replyreply
10-12-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-09-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-09-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...I just weighed the tractor with full tanks, 22,350 lbs, she is heavy...

This makes me giggle...
Hey Brock, what does your truck weigh bobtail?
ROFLMAO!!!!

Hahaha my truck alone bobtail is 28,600lbs.....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
10-12-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-12-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Hahaha my truck alone bobtail is 28,600lbs.....

That's not bad.
I'm just shy of 27,000. I vary so much depending on what rigging I'm carrying

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
10-13-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
So I am the lightweight at 24,000 fully rigged but with a baby front end .209 Tran and 46 quad locks .
My 9900 was 23,000 and the lightest in the fleet.

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
10-13-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-12-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-12-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Hahaha my truck alone bobtail is 28,600lbs.....

That's not bad.
I'm just shy of 27,000. I vary so much depending on what rigging I'm carrying

Jesus, pretty damn close to my weight and I've got a 3rd drive axle!!! You must be double frame front to back? I've just got double inserts on the drives

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-14-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
guess i dont feel so bad being basicaly 21,600 on truck 1/2 tanks 32,000 truck trailer 1/2tanks and all gear which is all located on trailer.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
10-14-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 
(10-14-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  Rawze please put some numbers to "high timing advance"...

was referring to programming.

There is no set number, as injection timing is different depending on rpm, fuel amounts, torque being made, how much boost, and about a dozen other factors that are continously in motion while the engine is operating.

- Then there is the factor of EGR. If an engine has EGR gas, then the entire engine will have very different settings. An EGR engine may need 11 degrees injection timing to compensate for the inert gas absorption rate at a specific fuelling, torque, rpm, egr gas flow, and boost, but take away only the egr gas, and suddenly it can barely handle 4 or 5 degrees under the same exact (now missing egr gas) conditions.

Then there are different engines with different compression ratios depending on engine model or perhaps SCR technology and less egr gas, vs an older model that only uses heavy amounts of EGR. Add in all those factors and it gets even more complicated yet.

Then add in pulse injection with common rail engines, or older single injection technologies. - this throws things even deeper into the realm of "what is or is not acceptable".

Now add in the injection strategy ... CDI, PCCI, HCCI, etc... ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid19318 - Depending on the type and volatility of injection strategy, some engines may need several degrees of added injection timing to achieve proper mixing (egr gas aside, the older the technology, typically the more timing advance is needed for proper mixing), and in newer technologies, some are so violent in their strategy, such as HCCI, that almost no mixing time is needed at all to get the volatility up to par. In fact, with the latest HCCI strategies, in many cases it can even push the injection timing into negative (post TDC) regions depending on the demand or conditions.

Then there is the power factor. The more power+turbocharging, the more sharply the injection timing has to fall off on a non-egr engine to maintain proper mixing time,.. but on an egr engine, the egr gas itself is heavily changes mixing, so at different power factors, the start of injection curve can even become somewhat flattened, sometimes even being reversed based on how much gas is allowed/needed to meet the requirements at any given point.

=================

I.E.> The question you have asked there is severely incomplete to be answered correctly.

random quote: "Just because the water is frozen in the lake, does not mean it is only barely below 32 degrees outside".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
11-03-2019, (Subject: Why is my oil black? ) 

That’s mine. Less than 5 minutes of run time after changing the oil....

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.