Cm871 repeated same injector failure
07-06-2016, (Subject: Cm871 repeated same injector failure ) 
RE: Cm871 repeated same injector failure
(07-06-2016 )Inderjit Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Sounds to me like possibly a crack in the head or or something. Have you tried swapping injectors and simply replacing o-rings to see what happens?

Does the cam/rollers look good?

Are any of the valves sitting high in their seat?

What is the detent clearance after setting the engine brake rocker correctly?

I am thinking that there is more to it that someone just hasn't caught, or perhaps something that is not being done correctly?

It could be running hot in only one cylinder,.. has anyone checked the thermal difference of the cylinders?

Has anyone pulled the intake manifold off and inspected it for soot packing? -- Maybe it is getting starved of air? or a blockage in the exhaust manifold?
J
Stealership do the leak test finds a leaking injector and send me on my way
Rawze is there a way to check head for leaks. Or it has to be pressure tested by removing it I am 18k in hole with this problem. Didnt drive it for two months out of fear that it would fail again. Didnt work out had to drive it just drove 4k and same thing happening again
Thanks to eveyone for the help
replyreply
I'm going to repeat it again, these are not million mile engines unless you have it from day one.
It is possible that you bought a used truck and ran it 1.2, 1.3. Consider yourself lucky!
Turn key company truck, 500k, dump it on someone else!

Can they be a million mile engine? Absolutely!
Start fresh, do all the right things and you're good!

With well over 3 million miles behind the wheel, this engine has been more troublesome than others BUT, and a very big one, has the most potential to keep the O\O competitive for the next 10 years as long as you know what to expect. Let the big fleets be saddled with the latest wizz bang technology!

Unfortunately it all depends on the quality of the parts, and since we don't make anything here any more, it is left to corporate bean counters to decide how long something should last!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
You can pressurize the coolant system, kits are available on Amazon. Rawze knows which one will work, as there are many kits depending on which truck you are driving. Universal is not always universal with these kits or trucks.

In regards to looking at your overhead, you can do that yourself. The top engine cover comes right off and uses a sturdy reusable rubber gasket that you can reuse, the only one on the truck I will reuse, LOL! Pop the top and grab a flashlight and look real close at all of the cam and injector lobes, or anything that does not look right when compared with the rest of the valve train in there.

Personally, I would do both of these steps, pressurize and inspect. The pressure test may at least start you in the right direction... But, like in my case, the bad head on my truck held pressure, but I was at least able to rule out my EGR cooler in regards to leaks. There is a video on how to do that on this sight in the video section.

One thing I would do, is start calling around and find out who is recommended in your area to work on an ISX. I found one guy through my local Cummins shop, he was said to be the master of the ISX in my area. I never was able to get the truck in to him, as he had a months long wait to get the truck in. By then my motor had already failed and I wound up at the local International dealer for the in frame. But, call around and find out who is out there, you may end up in some guys barn in a corn field, and that is probably the guy that will diagnose and fix that motor. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone close by that can help you.
replyreply
(07-06-2016 )Inderjit Wrote:  Stealership do the leak test finds a leaking injector and send me on my way

Stop going to stealerships and get it to someone that actually has a clue. Sorry if that is harsh but I figured that out after my first visit.
I'm an old school MF and those people will put you out of business! Everything changes and these days they are only there for one reason, TAKE YOUR MONEY!
There is a bigger brain trust here than ANY dealer I have ever talked to!

I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's _ss!
If it wasn't for Rawze and all the good people I've met here I would still be chasing my tail and BROKE!

replyreply
I live where all this epa crap started. California in bay area.
replyreply
I feel for ya pal. It's just not possible to keep dumping money in with not enough coming back, no matter how hard you work!

replyreply
(07-06-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 )Inderjit Wrote:  Stealership do the leak test finds a leaking injector and send me on my way

Stop going to stealerships and get it to someone that actually has a clue. Sorry if that is harsh but I figured that out after my first visit.
I'm an old school MF and those people will put you out of business! Everything changes and these days they are only there for one reason, TAKE YOUR MONEY!
There is a bigger brain trust here than ANY dealer I have ever talked to!

I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's _ss!
If it wasn't for Rawze and all the good people I've met here I would still be chasing my tail and BROKE!

That is the truth! Unilevers helped me greatly when I had the in frame done at the dealer. They really did not grasp the mandate removal and were questioning quite a few things. If not for Unilever's help, I don't think it would have went as well. I had a good engine man, he at least took pride in his work and so far it shows, and had no issues with Unilelver's suggestions. God knows, I was clueless on much of this stuff, thank God for the men on this site, that is about all I can say.
replyreply
(07-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I had a bad head on my CM871, it did not use any oil between oil changes, and the only coolant loss I had was due to internal pressure of the exhaust gas building in my motor, which forced the coolant out of the lines at the clamps. So, in other words, you don't always have coolant or oil loss with a bad head. If you take it in to another shop, stand there and babysit them, or better yet, get the truck to someone like Gearhead that knows what he is doing. I feel for you buddy, this sucks.

What problems were you having?
replyreply
You can do research until you are blue in the face on the ISX. Until you stop, listen and ask questions WHY you're just shooting from the hip.
I thought I knew what I was buying, tons of research, reading and weighing it all on my past experience. NOT ENOUGH!
It is what it is and until you deal with it real time it's all just speculation.

Lots of negatives according to common knowledge. Common knowledge says go to Cummins. Thank God for thinking outside of the box.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.