My Pete rebuild
11-02-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
Not to compete and emulate Brock's thread, I'll spare the step by steps and wait to update when I finally tear into things and find the failure. I have a feeling and strong suspicion that the only thing I'm going to be able to point to is a mirror, and I have a few speculations.

I seriously considered tearing it down before making any decisions or purchases, but decided to just go with all Cummins parts this time, and hopefully eliminate some trepidation.

Grabbed a new head while it was available, and will pick up a kit closer to taking some time off.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
purdy!

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(11-02-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Not to compete and emulate Brock's thread, I'll spare the step by steps and wait to update when I finally tear into things and find the failure. I have a feeling and strong suspicion that the only thing I'm going to be able to point to is a mirror, and I have a few speculations.

I seriously considered tearing it down before making any decisions or purchases, but decided to just go with all Cummins parts this time, and hopefully eliminate some trepidation.

Grabbed a new head while it was available, and will pick up a kit closer to taking some time off.

I have personally enjoyed watching every single step of this thread! It is disgusting the amount of times I've come back and looked at it lol.

Please document every single step, there may be something you can teach others without even realizing it. We are all very sorry for the heartache your going through with your truck but it's a opportunity to help others as they have/ or will helped you.

It is threads like yours that make this forum the great place it is!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , ZeroNthedark , Roysbigtoys
(11-02-2019 )Brock Wrote:  I have personally enjoyed watching every single step of this thread! It is disgusting the amount of times I've come back and looked at it lol.

Please document every single step, there may be something you can teach others without even realizing it. We are all very sorry for the heartache your going through with your truck but it's a opportunity to help others as they have/ or will helped you.

It is threads like yours that make this forum the great place it is!

I really don't have any heartache in it. Not to say I want to go back into the engine, or spend this much on it so soon, but this has been an extremely valuable learning experience from so many different perspectives.

I had a budget going into this that was not based anywhere near the realm of reality. This lead me to pinch pennies in the wrong places, and then spend too much in other areas. One thing I am certain of, and I don't know that I'd call it a regret, but if I had it to do all over again, I would NOT have bought this particular truck lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
11-03-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
While I was visiting Rawze, I decided to replace the ECM. I know it wouldn't fix my blowby, but maybe it would help keep me from chasing my tail on mysterious issues that seem to pop up. The old one was original, 11 or 12 years old, and I felt it wasn't a wasteful purchase even if it didn't change anything.

When comparing my old ECM download to a fresh one I pulled in on the way home, I found:

OS_Ram_Refresh_Mismatch_Address - Old 6,378,856 to the New 0.

I'm still in the preschool era of figuring out the how's and what's of the ECM, but that seemed to be something of significance?
replyreply
12-11-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Still chugging along, waiting for the illusive "right time" to tear into things, where comfortable reserves are built up and freight is slow. Not sure if such a scenario exists haha.

Found some issues;

Charge air boot @ turbo seems to be porous, and is misting oil?

Cold coolant leak on the turbo sealing washer.

Fuel pump is seeping, seems to be around bolts?

And the high pressure hot a/c line from the compressor is seeping oil.

Still not quite sure why fuel economy fluctuates so much. One day I struggle to get high fives, and the next I can pull close to 7 without hardly trying. One would think if I had a broken ring or hole in a piston it would at least be consistent?
replyreply
Fuel milage while flatbedding is often like this. Especially in the N.E. There are a lot of variables. Weight, wind, drag, cold temps, less than perfect driving habits, constant mountains, fuel condition...

Really bad mpg's like 4 or less would be a sign of a mechanical problem.

5.5+ is the name of the game till you get good at it.
replyreply
I'm still 6+, but my IFTA has dropped since late summer. Granted I've been running pretty much all Appalachian lanes the last month or so - and a lot of back roads feeding the 77/79/81 corridor makes it tough, but something isn't quite right. I suppose fuel quality could have a bigger impact than I give credit. Some days it seems like the more work I put into it, the worse it gets.
replyreply
(12-11-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  ... One would think if I had a broken ring or hole in a piston it would at least be consistent?

If you had a hole in a piston, you would not be driving that thing. - It would smoke like a freight train, and exhaust fumes would be blasting out of the oil fill tube.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.