My Pete rebuild
12-11-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(12-11-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-11-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote:  ... One would think if I had a broken ring or hole in a piston it would at least be consistent?

If you had a hole in a piston, you would not be driving that thing. - It would smoke like a freight train, and exhaust fumes would be blasting out of the oil fill tube.

Whatever it is, I'm sick of it pushing hot oil through my CAC and ruining the boots on the turbo side. Either way, the combination of my Celadon blunder and a case of shingles has me cranky and ready to park this truck in the back corner of a field lol.
replyreply
i77, i79 and i68 are some of the hardest highways in the east to get any kind of mileage. I can keep mine above 6.5mpg. But that's working the hell out of things and agonizingly slow speeds up those mountains. I'll often be in 6th gear if not dropping to low range to keep my rpms up and have my foot at about 50% or less throttle when grossing out at 80k. It makes for some long days. But I make sure the loads pay for time and effort when running those lanes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Brock , Waterloo
Hey Nostalgic, how about a recap of what your issue's are currently? You are getting oil in your cac from the turbo? What else?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(12-11-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Hey Nostalgic, how about a recap of what your issue's are currently? You are getting oil in your cac from the turbo? What else?

That's been one constant haha. 2nd turbo does it as well, and after seeing what exactly the oil seal looks like, it's really not a concern so much as a symptom.

In short, I have blowby and it uses about a gallon every 6k. Oil samples have iron @ 16ppm @ 12k OCI. Something happened early on.

Guessing something along the lines of a scuffed liner, cracked or broken ring, scratched piston? Anyway, while at Rawze's, he was able to time the puffs and throw a mark on the dampner to point to either #2 or #5 being the culprit, I think his money was on #5. I could possibly know more if I dropped the pan and had a look, but - if I drop the pan and see something, it's not like I can put it back on and go on lol, I'd HAVE to fix it once I know for sure what the issue is haha, so I gathered everything needed for a inframe, along with a new Cummins head, so that when I do drop the pan, it's fix-it time.

I decided to rebuild it with a Cummins kit and new head to eliminate a lot of unknown variables in the future. I admit, I've actually considered just replacing the offending liner/piston, or rings and putting it all back together as-is, to be honest. Who knows, once I find the issue, I'll decide what approach to take. I can always use the Cummins kit to build up my spare block like I planned from the beginning.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Rhase trans
12-12-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
How exactly did Rawze throw a mark on the damper? What did he use?
replyreply
Several things turbo to leak. One being blowby. If you had a way to measure it under load Im willing to bet its extreme. Thereby not allowing the oil to return to oil pan from turbo like it should. Others being to low of a setting on turbo percent causing vacuum on intake. Air filter restriction. However, we know a few things here. One you are using oil and you have alot of blowby. With these things known Im betting this is the issue of oil... Also in my years of work getting a local shop to rebuild a head I have seen cases where all they did was clean it and rework valve seats. never replacing valve guides and a warn valve guide can cause exhaust and boost to enter the top of head under load causing massive blowby. I think once you have installed all new genuine parts you will be ok... Make sure to clock rings right too. You have a really nice truck and i know one day you will be able to enjoy it...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
(12-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  How exactly did Rawze throw a mark on the damper? What did he use?

yeah I wondered this too

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(12-12-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  
(12-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  How exactly did Rawze throw a mark on the damper? What did he use?

yeah I wondered this too

A sharpie lol. The things he thinks up on the fly, I tell ya. He had me crank it, while he stood with sharpie on hand and timed the puff-puff-puff to make a mark on the spinning dampener. Then looking where the marks was on the dampener could tell me in seconds what cylinder group it was. I'm pretty sure he has the entire quickserve manual memorized.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(12-12-2019 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Make sure to clock rings right too. You have a really nice truck and i know one day you will be able to enjoy it...

I can't remember if it was Rawze's video, or in a post somewhere, but you always put the top/first ring gap towards front of engine, on the intake side, correct?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.