2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help!
12-27-2019, (Subject: 2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help! ) 
2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help!
Hey guys i plan on being more active on this forum now that i am in the process of purchasing my own truck. I have been on this forum for a long time lurking and am finally ready to take on the role as an owner operator. Instead of creating new threads all over the place i have decided to start this blog so i can post pictures and ask questions. I am currently looking to purchase a 2014 367 Peterbilt with a 525/1850 CM2350 Isx 15. I havent got the truck yet but i already ordered inline 6 with cummins insite from ebay lol. That way i will be ready to roll by the time its in my hands since shipping will take forever. I have attached some pics of the motor below if you have any input you could give me or anything that sticks out that i should be aware of please let me know i appreciate it thank you! I currently have an appointment set for my local cummins dealer to do a dyno test on the truck and check it all out for any issues as well as visual inspection of the turbo. Im going to be replacing the fuel pump as soon as its mine due to the truck having 450,000km and reading on here that it is overdue. Oil bypass filter will be coming soon as well as keeping a strict oil change policy. After the initial checks done by mechanics im looking to do as much work as i can on the truck my self unless its anything major that may be out of my league. I look forward to hearing your opinions on the following photos good and bad as i want to do things right when it comes to this truck. Thank you!

P.S. Clicking on the photos will blow them up into a much larger size i tried to get the best quality photos i could.

replyreply
12-27-2019, (Subject: 2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help! ) 
RE: 2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help!
Looking at the turbo pics. Looks like it's been ran pretty hard. Most of the paint is gone off the center section. Need to pull the valve cover Inspect the camshaft and Jake brake detent. Need to get any service records you can. Check the egr cooler for leaking. Check the doc and dpf, probably have them cleaned and flow tested (if keeping them intact). 2350's don't like the big power. Maybe look at a custom tune and turn it down to 450/1750. They are also known to have severe carbon packing problems, along with the unexpected fuel pump explosions.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dumptruckisx , Rawze
(12-27-2019 )Squish099 Wrote:  Looking at the turbo pics. Looks like it's been ran pretty hard. Most of the paint is gone off the center section. Need to pull the valve cover Inspect the camshaft and Jake brake detent. Need to get any service records you can. Check the egr cooler for leaking. Check the doc and dpf, probably have them cleaned and flow tested (if keeping them intact). 2350's don't like the big power. Maybe look at a custom tune and turn it down to 450/1750. They are also known to have severe carbon packing problems, along with the unexpected fuel pump explosions.

The EGR has been replaced and no longer leaking he said but that will be checked. DOC and DPF will be kept until i start to have issues with them and which point i will have enough knowledge to decide if i should remove it or keep it but im hoping i can get a few months out of the aftertreatment system the way it is, seller says its been "cleaned" im assuming he means baked by a local shop. The truck was probably ran hard as it was was hauling(105,000lbs) 48,000kg GROSS for the last 3 years. It was a owner operator who ran it and never had a driver and it seems well taken care of but when i look under the hood there is oil marks and im not sure what is normal and what is not so im trying to get as many eyes on this thing before my appointment next week at a shop(for inspection). I thought these engines like the heavy weight and high load due to high heat being able to burn off DPF and SCR properly?

I noticed the oil fill tube is covered in oil (is it possible oil can push OUT of here? or is that from careless filling do you think?) i also noticed the front there is a circle/hole with oil residue around it as well (Saw Rawze stick a bar in there to turn the motor i think?). im guessing that isnt normal to have oil around it like that and the little bit of oil on the nut of the crankcase filter.... Am i correct to assume this engine might have had some high crankcase issues? or is the oil normal for the spots that its showing? ive added a pic to show what i mean.

replyreply
The circle you pictured is just a cap in the front cover. You are correct if you pull it it it reveals the 3/4" square drive used to bar the motor over. I would never accept someone saying something was done. Did he say egr valve or cooler? The cooler is the square thing that sits down behind the turbo mounted to the block. If it was leaking 90% of the time is wipes the precisious metals off the filters rendering them useless. Need to check for blowby. What's the breather filter look like?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dumptruckisx
I see some of the sensors are still factory painted red. It safe to assume they haven't been changed. Might be wise to put replacing them all on the "to do" list.
replyreply
Does it have 450,000 miles or kilometers?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
12-28-2019, (Subject: 2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help! ) 
Thanks for your reply guys i will ask him if he was talking about the EGR cooler or the valve but i wont take his word for anything as it will be checked out by cummins mechanic in the second week of january. As per Chamberpains suggestions i have started to look into what sensors i could possibly replace on my own and what will require some help but i have seen rawze EGR tune up videos in the past and will be doing that which covers some sensors as well hopefully thats a good start.
replyreply
12-28-2019, (Subject: 2014 Peterbilt 367 Dump Truck! My First Truck and Need Your Help! ) 
(12-27-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  Does it have 450,000 miles or kilometers?

448,000km which is roughly 278,374 miles. Its got 11,400 engine hours. Its on my list to find out from cummins how many of those hours are idle hours as i believe that is important for aftertreatment being in bad health or not.
replyreply
(12-28-2019 )dumptruckisx Wrote:  ...
it will be checked out by cummins mechanic in

That is a mostly total waste of time .. Most all cummins mechanics that i have ever met are completely useless idiots.

PULL THAT VALVE COVER BEFORE PURCHASE IF POSSIBLE! - and get pics of the overhead cam, and the insides of your possible future investment!.

the pics clearly show someone not changing the crank case filter often enough. -that CC filter likely needs replacing... I would pull it off too, and look for that ominous green-ish signs of coolant intrusion too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.