2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX
02-03-2020, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX ) 
2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX
Looking for some insight/opinions from some of you that have run or do run an ISX cummins in your trucks. I have found this one for sale, 2012 367 pete with ISX set at 500 hp, about 515,000 miles. Seller says the engine was rebuilt at around 440k. The truck seems to be fairly priced considering the options and condition of it. The truck would be used for hauling a 4 axle end dump and hopper bottom grain trailers. 18 spd, 4.10 rear ends 46k axles, so its spec'd very similar to what I want. Some guys have said to run fast and far from this engine while some guys have no issue with it. From the research I've done it seems like they're more reliable after the 2010 model year. Sure seems like a lot of trucks for sale out there running this engine so I find it hard to believe that they're all bad. Thanks in advance
replyreply
RE: 2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX
The main question is going to be how well the engine was rebuilt?

Emissions still intact and functioning?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
2012 pete w/ ISX, guessing it's a cm2250. Not a bad engine (in my opinion) as long as you do some research and take care of it. Fuel pump on these trucks is one of the biggest issues. They only seem to last about 400k before shitting all over the engine. Possibly the reason it needed to be rebuilt at 440k. Gotta stay on top of the EGR and aftertreament systems. Keep em clean and replace the sensors every so often (See Rawze's threads on EGR tune-ups). Gotta keep the rpms up. Engine doesn't like a lot of high torque under 1300rpm, DPF doesn't regen as well when constantly running under about 1500rpm.

Seems like the emissions/aftertreatment systems on these are the biggest source of problems for most people. If you stay on top of preventative maintenance (EGR tune-ups and such) and drive it right then it'll perform much better.

Probably a bunch of other stuff about this engine to watch for, but that's the biggest stuff I've seen so far.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SB Ag
02-04-2020, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX ) 
The rebuild is likely shi#t. I wouldn’t consider it. I know that’s not what you want to here but that’s the truth of it. You will likely find out the hard way if you don’t heed my warning. Buy a virgin engine with less miles or be ready to spend around 35k to build one right with proper demandate then you will have a good truck. Look for a used celadon pro star. Cheap small cpl truck. (I just bought a Lonestar, speced well but parts are a issue and expensive, but still a option. The trucks are made well). Have it tuned by the guys here. If you try and buy one that’s gonna need a engine then good luck finding someone to build it right. You will likely be buying the tools to cut the counter bores your self. I haven’t heard of one shop anywhere except the guys recommended here that do this. I hear a lot about this shop is really good or that shop is really good. And when the engines fail there’s always the blame game and more money spent and still not fixed. Buy a super low mileage engine then have it tuned buy the guys here with a lower torque higher hp custom tune. It will live that way in my opinion because you won’t lug it because it won’t pull in the low rpm range and you or your driver will be shifting to get more rpm to pull. That’s what the engine likes. A lot of work can be done at 1750 torque and 1600rpm. That’s 530 hp. A small cpl demandated isx is easily capable of this in a custom tune.

Also 2010 is when the 2250 started. That engine is not as inherently reliable as the previous 871 engine. 871 is just a simpler design beings it’s not a high pressure common rail fuel system. 871 naturally has a big ass turbo on it so you can tune it to what ever hp that’s reasonable.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT , hhow55 , Roysbigtoys
02-06-2020, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX ) 
(02-04-2020 )Magard Wrote:  The rebuild is likely shi#t. I wouldn’t consider it. I know that’s not what you want to here but that’s the truth of it. You will likely find out the hard way if you don’t heed my warning. Buy a virgin engine with less miles or be ready to spend around 35k to build one right with proper demandate then you will have a good truck. Look for a used celadon pro star. Cheap small cpl truck. (I just bought a Lonestar, speced well but parts are a issue and expensive, but still a option. The trucks are made well). Have it tuned by the guys here. If you try and buy one that’s gonna need a engine then good luck finding someone to build it right. You will likely be buying the tools to cut the counter bores your self. I haven’t heard of one shop anywhere except the guys recommended here that do this. I hear a lot about this shop is really good or that shop is really good. And when the engines fail there’s always the blame game and more money spent and still not fixed. Buy a super low mileage engine then have it tuned buy the guys here with a lower torque higher hp custom tune. It will live that way in my opinion because you won’t lug it because it won’t pull in the low rpm range and you or your driver will be shifting to get more rpm to pull. That’s what the engine likes. A lot of work can be done at 1750 torque and 1600rpm. That’s 530 hp. A small cpl demandated isx is easily capable of this in a custom tune.

Also 2010 is when the 2250 started. That engine is not as inherently reliable as the previous 871 engine. 871 is just a simpler design beings it’s not a high pressure common rail fuel system. 871 naturally has a big ass turbo on it so you can tune it to what ever hp that’s reasonable.

The engine was rebuilt by cummins according to the seller. I don't know if this makes a difference or not in terms of quality
replyreply
02-06-2020, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 367 with ISX ) 
Cummins is a shi#t rebuild. Liner heights aren’t high enough and head was probably a rebuild. Also probably not pre torqued then final torque 24 hrs later. Ask me how I know.... Cummins create motor dropped a valve 150k miles in. Motor all marked up like a amateur or private rebuilt it. You can’t trust anything in this world. Buy a virgin engine or one built by someone following protocol from this site.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hhow55 , Waterloo , Roysbigtoys , SB Ag

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.