SCR Question
03-15-2020, (Subject: SCR Question ) 
Brick SCR Question
Hello All,
Hope everyone is healthy and Corona free thus far! I have a question that has eluded my research thus far and I was hoping that someone may be able to enlighten me. I own a 2013 Kenworth T-660 with an ISX15 CM-2350... Generally has been a pretty decent truck... but at around 550,000 miles I started to develop rather costly SCR/DEF Service Needed warnings. I realize the recalls and such on this particular system were somewhat numerous and had created a backlash of equipment operators to have a bad taste in their mouth about the government mandated guidelines set forth. That being said... I had a “tune” performed by a reputable shop and could not have been happier for another 200,000 miles. I now have 700,000 miles and she is still running like a top with only your normal type items being done on maintenance. Anyway, getting to my question, at the time of the “tune” I believe that the DPF canister was let’s say “addressed”.... I have noticed an increase in crankcase pressure as of lately and replaced the crankcase filter with a maintenance free one ( to no avail)...anyway...I noticed exhaust by way of feel..brimming from any seam which would allow passage...which leads me to believe that my exhaust is obstructed. After talking with a somewhat knowledgeable Cummins guy, he mentioned that when you had the “tune” performed, that “yes” the DPF canister was addressed but more than likely the SCR was not addressed.. I believe this to be true for I do not believe I witnessed the SCR having been worked on. My question(s) is... can you simply gut the SCR and re-install? Can you even gut the SCR? Is there something that would hinder you from being able to get into the bloody thing to remove said media? And finally ...having looked to no avail... is there a cheater pipe available on the market and would that work since I suspect that none of the components which hook into the SCR actually are “live”... I don’t know this to be a fact..but I would surmise this to be the case... Anyway, Thanx in advance to the person who can right my ship for me![/size][/font]
replyreply
RE: SCR Question
Oh boy.

Let's just say if you've made it 200,000 mi without any major engine problems you are lucky.

Yes, the SCR can needs to be empty. It is basically the same inside as the DOC and DPF. If left intact it will eventually clog up as you seem to be experiencing. Unfortunately most need to be cut open and welded shut afterward. You could replace it with straight pipes, but it will no longer appear stock.

That is only half your problem. The other half is the program in your ECM. If you've made it this far it might not be horrible, but the fact that the SCR wasn't addressed is proof enough that the person probably got some stuff wrong.

If you don't have it already get a Windows laptop and a copy of Insite and pull a copy of the program from your ECM and send it to someone on here to look at.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Thanks Jim..... I’m hoping that the SCR was simply overlooked by the technician that was suppose to do the legwork. The re flashing ie:computer portion of the work was done by what I perceived as a competent individual. On the other hand.. the other guy who was also doing some work beyond the scope of the “tune”... seemed a little lazy in his work ethic! Wish I had been a little more competent at the time about the SCR. Thank you for that incredible insight about maybe having to open it up and welding it back together in order to gut it.. I have looked at as many photos as I could find and it seemed to be pretty closed as far as getting anything in there to clear it out. Anyway, your comment has helped me tremendously in taking the next few steps... now I’ll need to find a local shop that will do this on let’s say “ the down low!” I live in Franklinton NC...basically Raleigh. Semi Diesel shops are not a main stay in this area...but if you want to tune a pickemup truck ...they are on every corner! Thanx again for you advice
replyreply
Oooopps! See above Jim!
replyreply
(03-15-2020 )Hennessey33 Wrote:  now I’ll need to find a local shop that will do this on let’s say “ the down low!” I live in Franklinton NC...basically Raleigh.

If you're in NC your best bet is to contact Mr. Hagg at Haggai Automotive and Diesel Repair 1228 High Falls Rd Griffin, GA 30223 (678) 688-8107. He can look it over and will make sure EVERYTHING is done correctly. I think he can even take a look at the ECM and make sure it's not silently destroying that engine. His shop is highly recommended by people on this forum and he's on here regularly helping people out.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(03-15-2020 )Hennessey33 Wrote:  The re flashing ie:computer portion of the work was done by what I perceived as a competent individual.

the other guy who was also doing some work beyond the scope of the “tune”... seemed a little lazy in his work ethic!

now I’ll need to find a local shop that will do this on let’s say “ the down low!”

but if you want to tune a pickemup truck ...they are on every corner! Thanx again for you advice

It just has to be one of those days.....

These statements right here are an awful sign that you are {possibly} running an engine destroying tune.

How exactly did you "perceive" this tuner to be competent?

Why didn't you get your truck as far away from a guy that you saw as lazy in work ethic?

Why are you going to try to find a shop to do the work for you? Why won't you get you hands dirty and take charge of your business and do this work yourself?

And lastly Pickup truck tuners are the worst of the worst in ECM hack job bullshitte tunes.

Hold tight because your more than likely gonna get a reality slap from the man himself. It's in your best interest to take it as great advice and listen very closely to what he says. Its gonna hurt and hopefully scare you so you never make the same mistakes again.

And if you could please answer the questions i posted honestly. I'd like to learn what the mentality is behind what you've posted. I think seeing how a guys comes to the decisions you've made may help others if they recognize that they are making choice similar to yours.
replyreply
Hmmm...ok
1)The shop that did it has a great reputation for standing behind their tune as well as the experience of the tuner...the fact that I have gone approximately 200,000 miles on said tune would stand as testament to that.
2)As far as the guy doing the extra curricular work... the work he performed overall turned out to be good work...the short cut on the SCR made me second guess him at this point. He seemed what I perceived as possibly hung over for he moved like someone who may have spent to much time in the gym the night before.
3) As far as doing the work myself, your way out of line bud. I do most of my own work and I am a flat bedder...so my hands stay dirty Thank You. I don’t have a welder and I do farm out some work when I feel it may be something better suited for someone with more experience... if someone wants to challenge me in “Plumbing” then by all means..do so... I’m a Master Plumber by original trade and a Veteran ..MOS..Tactical Satellite Communications..so ... if I say so... you sound condescending and smug with your comment. But I guess every website has their troll.
4) Obviously your reading comprehension needs a little tuning, no one mentioned a tune or entertained the thought of using a pick up truck tuning center or the likes...so go back to the post and re read it...that’s your homework.
5) Jim gave great advice which actually helped me to make a decision on my next step..

{rest of post removed by Rawze}
replyreply
wow....chamber rofl i never knew you were a troll rofl when did you asking a person who has no clue about the big rig tuning market, and asking a guy to turn a couple wrenches and use a hammer and a piece of metal becoming trolling haha!

bud you asked for advice and help your getting it along with people seeing how far you'll go to keep your business alive so drop the attitude or you can go hang with the social media crowd eating all the snake oil for breakfast lunch and supper. id bet if that shop isn't a part of this group and the masters here checked over their work you'd shi#t yourself if you actually understood what is going on inside your ECM and what its doing to your engine and what they probably have done wrong inside those components.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
If you have been driving that thing for 200k miles without your SCR can gutted then you have gotten real lucky so far. -,Many people do nt make it 80,000 miles before the problems set in, and some make it even less.

The can needs to be cut open and welded shut again to be hollowed out 100% to prevent reflected heat, excess back-pressure on the exhaust, and eventual engine and/or turbocharger damage. Most places do not want to tackle this, and are quick to make excuses and say things like that it is a passive device or some other lame/argumentative statement. - They always clog up. They look just like the DPF element and are not designed to handle soot on their own with the emissions systems disabled. It takes a short amount of time for some people and longer for others. All depends on how truck is driven and how healthy the engine is, but it always becomes a problem eventually, and for many people downright causes engine and turbo damage before they realize that it is an issue.

========

If your "programmer guy" is as reputable as you claim, then have him send over a copy of your program for an inspection to check it for safety and correctness. If they refuse then pull a copy of it yourself. E-mail it over to me and I will inspect it for you so you know what you got.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.