Run them or replace them?
06-26-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
RE: Run them or replace them?
(06-26-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(06-26-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  Has that type of wear pattern from the OP (Mrkentee) ever had a cause determined. I've heard of the 'river wear' diagnosis from one of the big name tire companies, and Rawze I've also heard you mention that is a common result of a higher mileage tire wearing on the steer. Do you think that type of aggressive wear on the inside shoulder could be due to a tire slightly out of round? Mrkentee has excellent wear on those steers for the mileage IMO, but would still like to know what the odd wear cause is.

- I have a hair over 100k now on my steers and the inside of one is starting to display that same pattern. One thing I do notice, when I jack up the front end to grease kingpins, I see that the wearing steer tire has a bit of a wobble when compared to the other side (not the rim, just the tire). Wish I could have caught it on the balance machine last year but I didn't. I don't feel it in the steering , yet... I'm wondering if that slight wobble is causing an odd scrub against the road? I'll most likely change them in the 160-175k range unless something happens otherwise as they still have good tread left currently. It's a Toyo M177, so not sure how they stack against others like the Michelin some of you guys run..... I originally had the Brigestones when the truck was purchase, but was a little unnerved about the blow outs on the newest models of those tires, so I decided against them.

Same wear pattern I had on my last set of Bridgestones, at roughly the same mileage. Switched to Michelin, problem solved. Truck front end was fine, it was the tires.

They were fine until a year or so ago. I was running from CT to CO across 80 back and forth, with the wind and everything. I got some minor outside edge wear. I flipped the tires and had alignment done by MD. Eventually it got worse, to where it is today. There a couple of places where the edge got screwed up in one area, too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
06-26-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Watch that wear mark on the shoulder VERY close. Blow a trailer or drive and ur set back a cpl hrs at the tire shop. Blow a steer and if ur lucky ur stuck on the side of the rd, if not so lucky ur truck takes a nap out in the woods.

Yeah, I’m convinced. Probably get them tomorrow. I have a good national account price through my fuel card.

I would definitely put tru balance centering sleeves on the steers and run centrmatic wheel balancers on them too. If the shocks are a year old or close to it replace them so that front end can settle down. I just replaced all my stock Paccar shocks with Monroe Magnums. Good luck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
06-27-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
maybe this helps...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid16383
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Mrkentee
Rawze, since you mentioned the second link, where do you (or anyone else) get your axle alignment shims from? Is it a kit or does your local dealer keep them in stock? When I ask the few people in this area they would refer me to their local alignment shop. Even the few dealers near me do not carry the shims.

I have seen a few full blown kits online, but I'd say for the price that would be overly excessive considering I'm doing one truck.
replyreply
I would think any parts or frame shop would stock what you need or could order them. Pretty common parts for these trucks. Have you tried FleetPride or NAPA?
replyreply
(06-27-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  Rawze, since you mentioned the second link, where do you (or anyone else) get your axle alignment shims from? Is it a kit or does your local dealer keep them in stock? When I ask the few people in this area they would refer me to their local alignment shop. Even the few dealers near me do not carry the shims.

I have seen a few full blown kits online, but I'd say for the price that would be overly excessive considering I'm doing one truck.

I used to buy them from alignment shops or other various places but the ones for the front end I had to make myself out of other things. I made a template out of thick-paper card-stock. I draw it onto a picece of flat stock stainless material of the right thickness then use a dremmel to cut it out.. Seems like no one carried the front axle shimms.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.