Oil Temp Overheating issue
06-10-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
RE: Oil Temp Overheating issue
(06-09-2016 )garystruck Wrote:  Finally found the culprit giving me Nightmares!!!

As I posted before the first thing I did was replace the Oil thermostat. After no results and consulting with some mechanics I completely removed it thinking it was a faulty Thermostat. My understanding was without the Oil thermostat the oil will not heat up as fast and the oil cooler will be working at 100% efficiency. After thinking this over and over I figured maybe I was wrong and that without the oil thermostat oil will be bypassing the cooler causing it to heat up. Bought another Thermostat installed it and oil not going over 235f now!!

I am getting too old for this stuff and cant keep up with these new ways! Anyways in the end I replaced a lot of stuff that had to be replaced anyways such as CAC and injectors but If the first thermostat did the truck it would have been a whole lot easier!!
Thanks Y'all for your time and inputs!

That is good you posted your results of replacing the thermostat. I am sure there are others that will learn from it, and in the mean time, there is a lot of other info relevant to oil heating issues too. This is how everyone learns how to keep their truck rolling in the end. By sharing knowledge and growing what you know.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-13-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
I am also experiencing same problem on my 2016 KW t660 it has 525 Cummins isx in it and i bought it used when it has 295000 miles on it and it has high oil temperature issue i replaced oil cooler 2 time and along with it oil thermostat and radiator one time all this work done by Cummins or kenworth dealers. After replaceing oil cooler problem goes away temporarily and for 6 or 7 it start doing same thing again. Temperature goes to 250 on long hills and i have to stop for some time to cool it down then start climbing again. Any help will appreciated
Thanks
replyreply
07-13-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(07-13-2020 )Maninder Wrote:  I am also experiencing same problem on my 2016 KW t660 it has 525 Cummins isx in it and i bought it used when it has 295000 miles on it and it has high oil temperature issue i replaced oil cooler 2 time and along with it oil thermostat and radiator one time all this work done by Cummins or kenworth dealers. After replaceing oil cooler problem goes away temporarily and for 6 or 7 it start doing same thing again. Temperature goes to 250 on long hills and i have to stop for some time to cool it down then start climbing again. Any help will appreciated
Thanks

If it is de-mandated (deleted programming) ... One of the tell tail signs of butcher-block destructive programming often involves higher than normal oil temps (above 235-F or so) all the time.

Is this a de-mandated truck? (delete4d?) -- if so.. who did the job and who did the programming?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-18-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
Thanks for replying
No sir
It is not deleted and still has some warranty on it i never had any problems with my after treatment system other then nox sensor replaced and that work is done by Cummins and kenworth and they don't like deleted trucks in their shops
I am thinking to put an auxiliary oil cooler on it but don't know were to put or what oil cooler to buy
replyreply
07-19-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(07-18-2020 )Maninder Wrote:  Thanks for replying
No sir
It is not deleted and still has some warranty on it i never had any problems with my after treatment system other then nox sensor replaced and that work is done by Cummins and kenworth and they don't like deleted trucks in their shops
I am thinking to put an auxiliary oil cooler on it but don't know were to put or what oil cooler to buy

don't mask and bade-aide your problems... find out what is wrong instead. Otherwise it could cost you your whole engine. Overheating oil is a serious issue.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
07-20-2020, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
Got demanned truck highest oil temp I've seen is 230 with a long ass climb out of a valley on 102 degree day... If your overheating probably a maintenance issue. How long on oil changes? Last time radiator was cleaned out? Oil pressure at idle/driving? Could be spun bearing

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Slavic S
I'm not liking my oil temp, gets to 240 when climbing hard pulling 140k. My prostar never got that hot but it did have dual oil cooler cores.

I looked into swapping in a dual core cooler but Cummins has informed me that there is a TSB for a update for any of the dual core engines to swap out the housing and use a single core now. Apparently they all use the same part number single core now.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(07-20-2020 )Brock Wrote:  I'm not liking my oil temp, gets to 240 when climbing hard pulling 140k.

In the extreme application, 240F is pushing it,.. but not ridiculous.

How high are the pyro temps getting when it is 240?

replyreply
(07-20-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 )Brock Wrote:  I'm not liking my oil temp, gets to 240 when climbing hard pulling 140k.

In the extreme application, 240F is pushing it,.. but not ridiculous.

How high are the pyro temps getting when it is 240?

With the probe on the manifold externally, I never really see over 500 degrees. I'm sure I could get it to climb more on hills but I climb at 1800-1900 rpm.

Oil empty(55,000lbs) or loaded (140,000lbs)runs 220 to 240 I only see 240 loaded though.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.