CM 871 won’t regen
12-11-2019, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
RE: CM 871 won’t regen
(12-11-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-11-2019 )theironoracle Wrote:  I completed the trouble shooting in Insite. It ends at replace harness if that doesn’t fix it replace ECM. The harness is a month out so I installed the ECM and it didn’t change. Fails the heater test every time. I did my own harness testing looking for shorts to power, ground and resistance and really don’t see anything wrong with the harness. I’m think about installing new heaters thinking they may fail when power goes to them even though they pass the ohms tests. Any info would be appreciated!!! Cummins tech support literally laughed at me when I asked for operating peramiters of the system. Thanks TIO

BTW: THAT IS NOT THE SAME ENGINE YOU POSTED ABOUT EARLIER -- THAT IS A CM2350 ENGINE, NOT A CM871 LIKE IN YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS!!!

{ When re-reading this thread, I get this strong feeling this guy has no clue how to work on modern diesel engines, and has every bad habit in the book}

Yes Rawze I’m aware it’s not the same engine. Didn’t think I needed to start a new thread for every engine I work on! If that’s what you recommend your name is on the .com maybe I would heed your advice.

In regards to your “quote”. I come to this site to glean information from people more knowledgeable than me. I don’t claim to know it all...I heed the advise I have gotten from this website...

That being said would you like to help me with my problem or just badger me with your keyboard?

TIO
replyreply
(12-11-2019 )theironoracle Wrote:  Yes Rawze I’m aware it’s not the same engine. Didn’t think I needed to start a new thread for every engine I work on! If that’s what you recommend your name is on the .com maybe I would heed your advice.

In regards to your “quote”. I come to this site to glean information from people more knowledgeable than me. I don’t claim to know it all...I heed the advise I have gotten from this website...

That being said would you like to help me with my problem or just badger me with your keyboard?

TIO

actually, I was typing and trying like hell to see what the ser# of the engine was in that photo... re-read the post and let me know if the program matches or at least what the engine ser# is, and that it matches the truck.

& yeah.. I got a few beers in me today.,

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
S#79720858. Not sure why that picture ended up blurry? Upload speed or ? The serial number matches truck and engine. It’s all original to my knowledge only about 5 years old

Most recent software update is installed according to Insite.
replyreply
12-13-2019, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
(12-11-2019 )theironoracle Wrote:  I completed the trouble shooting in Insite. It ends at replace harness if that doesn’t fix it replace ECM. The harness is a month out so I installed the ECM and it didn’t change. Fails the heater test every time. I did my own harness testing looking for shorts to power, ground and resistance and really don’t see anything wrong with the harness. I’m think about installing new heaters thinking they may fail when power goes to them even though they pass the ohms tests. Any info would be appreciated!!! Cummins tech support literally laughed at me when I asked for operating peramiters of the system. Thanks TIO

I had the same codes pop up few months back on my 2012 pete cm2250.

not sure about the truck you have there, but on mine there is a small fuse holder and relay in the battery box that powers the DCU. fuse was fine, relay was fine. was about to test the harness when i found one of the pins inside a deutsch connector (just after the relay) was corroded. got replacement pins from dealer, changed the bad pin and all was good.

had to look close for that one. because the corrosion was hidden where the pin and wire met inside the connector, it would sometimes work when i shoved the probe in to test. After a couple tries I figured i'd need to move on to testing the DCU, then the wire pulled out of the back of the connector! Lucky break.

hope this helps.

edit: code 3562 should have caught your attention. note that all 3 line heaters are powered from a single relay which is controlled by a single circuit to the DCU. Even if all 3 line heaters went bad at the exact same time, you still have the short on the control circuit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , 2dlb , theironoracle
07-24-2020, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
(05-04-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  I don't know if anyone else saw it but he pressure washed the dpf. So most likely it is still partially blocked with concrete now...never use water to clean the dpf system.

ive been skeptical about the wash ever since ive heard of it. my shop recently got a high pressure wash station and a heater for the dpf and ive never seen them cleaner or run better. but doing it in the wash bay with a pressure washer is different.
replyreply
07-24-2020, (Subject: CM 871 won’t regen ) 
(07-24-2020 )Joshuld Wrote:  
(05-04-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  I don't know if anyone else saw it but he pressure washed the dpf. So most likely it is still partially blocked with concrete now...never use water to clean the dpf system.

ive been skeptical about the wash ever since ive heard of it. my shop recently got a high pressure wash station and a heater for the dpf and ive never seen them cleaner or run better. but doing it in the wash bay with a pressure washer is different.

there is only one way to properly clean them and it does not involve any liquids.... that shop is severely shortening the life of those DPF's they are cleaning like that.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid50975

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.