Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-09-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
Spent the first few days playing around with Rawze's rear end. We had a hell of a time getting the shaft in there. Must have rammed it in 3 or 4 times before it bottomed out. Now it's mated up, all red and shiny. Threw 5 gallons of lube in there before we started, but it could probably use a little more.

Anyway, enough about Rawze's rear, you're all here to see me strip down my front end and expose my head. It's getting there.

Not trying to be a tease, this is a new thing for me, so I'm taking it a little slow. I want to get a good feel for all the parts of my front end before we pop the head.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , marek4792 , Rawze , smorgan87 , Brock , tree98 , Roysbigtoys , snailexpress , Pd6cas2 , the missing link , johnnydngrs , Waterloo , hhow55 , Chamberpains , Explosia , moretodo , Toolguy
I love engine rebuild threads! Good luck Jim!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Jim, was excessive oil consumption the reason for the inframe? I can't remember.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(08-09-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Jim, was excessive oil consumption the reason for the inframe? I can't remember.

Yes, along with a damaged lobe that I found on the cam shaft a couple weeks ago.

Didn't get as far along as I was hoping today, but most of the time was spent gaining a better understanding of how the different components were put together. Not just the engine, but the Pete OEM stuff too. Front and passenger sides are stripped down. Driver side is mostly untouched so far. That's on the agenda for tomorrow, wiring harness hell, injector tubes, intake and whatever else I can get to.

Damper came off pretty easy, Rawze worked his magic and the exhaust manifold bolts came out like butter. Otherwise pretty boring disassembly today.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Nostalgic , JMBT , Pd6cas2 , Waterloo , hhow55 , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy
How many miles did you have JimT? Was that a 2250? Also what did you use on the manifold bolts to get them out easy?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
08-10-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
(08-09-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  ... what did you use on the manifold bolts to get them out easy?

gently nudging them loose in tiny increments with a 1/2" electric impact so they would not break.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
That head looks like its been replaced before
replyreply
Sure does, no paint...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(08-10-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  ... what did you use on the manifold bolts to get them out easy?

gently nudging them loose in tiny increments with a 1/2" electric impact so they would not break.

Gently with an impact?? Those two words don't usually go together. I would think an impact would be a lot harder on them than a 3/8 ratchet.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.