Installing a KILL Switch and Alarm...?
08-17-2020, (Subject: Installing a KILL Switch and Alarm...? ) 
Installing a KILL Switch and Alarm...?
I want to install a kill switch, not really interested in messing with the ECM power wire to the batteries, but if you guys think that would be cool, I can do that. Any idea on the ignition? My car theft days never materialized, LOL! So, I am a bit clueless...

My plan, is to use one of my remote wifi switches, so no external button or toggle, so I can bury this thing anywhere in the truck, ANYWHERE.

And how about an alarm? Not necessarily a car one, but one that would sound a very loud alarm if someone breached a door or window? Anyone mess with one of those? Wondering about something like Simply Safe? I have electricity in the truck, plenty to run something like that, but clueless if it would work?

Point me in the right direction. How would you guys do it?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
RE: Installing a KILL Switch and Alarm...?
I dont think I would ever do a remote (bluetooth) kill switch. I don't give a hoot how advanced and reliable the systems are. When it fails, good luck simply figuring it out and repairing it. I always go with a very simple hidden hard wire. Its simple to trace and replace or remove and bypass if there is any problem.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
(08-17-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I dont think I would ever do a remote (bluetooth) kill switch. I don't give a hoot how advanced and reliable the systems are. When it fails, good luck simply figuring it out and repairing it. I always go with a very simple hidden hard wire. Its simple to trace and replace or remove and bypass if there is any problem.

Where we tapping in at? Ignition? ECM?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(08-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I dont think I would ever do a remote (bluetooth) kill switch. I don't give a hoot how advanced and reliable the systems are. When it fails, good luck simply figuring it out and repairing it. I always go with a very simple hidden hard wire. Its simple to trace and replace or remove and bypass if there is any problem.

Where we tapping in at? Ignition? ECM?

The ways of doing an overall "Truck Kill Lockout" are varied indeed. I've thought of this as well, One way I think of is (as I've used them before wiring door locks to function with alarm arming), a 4 post 15-20 amp relay, I'd agree do a hardwire and not bluetooth, On my truck I'd probably put a break in ECM Main V+, the V+ supply "ON" for fuel pump, you could come up with 4 things to breaker, tie in the coil side of Relay to a Hidden Switch or Keyswitch, any type method like this would stop it from being started without hard study and time the crooks would need. Many Alarms like my Alpine come with a Glass Breakage detector, they're interesting, if you bump the window pretty hard with a fist, it won't set off alarm, but slightly clack keys against the glass and it goes off as they detect that higher frequency. You can choose to have no Siren, and set up paging to your phone and welcome the crook with a 45 pointed at his eyeball ! Of course that's just me !

User's Signature: 2009 Kenworth T2000, 13sp 3.55's. CM871 CPL2732. IMA Old Hot Rodder !
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Where we tapping in at? Ignition? ECM?

Whichever was the easiest and cleanest to access. Sometimes the firewall solenoid signal wire was a good choice too. That way if it failed you could still turn the key on and jump the solenoid with a screw driver. But if the would be thieves knew to do this it would defeat the purpose. ECM feed is the sure way to guarantee they don't get it fired off.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
How about just adding a simple inline fuel shut off valve?.
Off would go to the blocked off second tank on the valve.
It would be easy to diagnose if a problem arose.
replyreply
I wouldn't want the headache of the aftermath and the thieves to have the ability to start the truck and run it bone dry before it stalled from fuel starvation. Especially if it happened in the winter and I was the 1 that had to get it primed afterward. Plus having anything added in the fuel lines is asking for all kinds of fun problems. Ask anyone that worked on trucks with over transmission fuel shutoff valves. Busted valves, half closed from vibration, leaks and suction leaks at the valve and fittings.... its just not high on the list of great ideas IMO.
replyreply
If I was going to do it ied put a nice robust switch on the ignition power to ecm and tuck it in somewhere easy to get but hidden from sight. If you want expensive you could go with the code entering thing tmc uses.

Glass break sensors from ring tied to the alarm would work in that instance. Could maybe do door ajar sensors mounted to doors or some how tie the door ajar light switches to trigger an alarm when armed

Trucks are quite easy to break into doing no harm I remember hearing at one point that most trucks only have a few different key shape variations.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
best kill switch is one that would stump even professional thieves. A disconnect of the ground wires for both crank and cam position sensors. -- she'll crank as much as she can but she ain't goin' nowhere.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Baco74 , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.