Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-28-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
Hmm...I have a new oil pan waiting to go on that I may do this to. I was just going to do red por-15, but seeing as I have a little more time it might be a good option.

The oil temp won't degrade that flex seal over time?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
08-29-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
(08-28-2020 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...
The oil temp won't degrade that flex seal over time?

not sure .. figured I try it. Flex seal claims 350-F though.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
[quote='Brock' pid='57556' dateline='1598493363']
When I called Cummins Edmonton, they literally told me I had to tear my motor down and tell them which liners I had. I said "wtf man, your Cummins, you tell me what bloody liners I have lol"

Back in the 855 days everything drove off the CPL # which was on a tag on the engine. If the tag was gone no CPL#. Cummins COULD NOT give you the CPL # from the ESN. Major PIA. Never understood that. May have been the local level parts people.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Things were very different before the internet and Quickserve. There would've been somewhere they could call to get your CPL surely, but they probably didn't care.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-03-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Helped Mr. JimT install head day before, and finished up the final torqing the head yesterday. Looks like he has been doing a lot of painting and cleaning on things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , redbeard , hhow55 , PuroCumminsPower
09-04-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Yup, spending extra time cleaning and painting things that I never plan to touch again, if I can help it! Much easier to clean the grease/oil/dirt/peeling paint off while the parts are removed. It's gonna look shiny new red from the frame rails up. Far from a high quality paint job though. 1 thick, slightly runny coat of IH Red paint from Tractor Supply is all most stuff gets. Looks like Cummins Red but goes on much thicker and takes about 4 times as long to dry. A little Corroseal on select parts exposed to road salt.

Would be nearing completion today if I didn't spend all day waiting to to go the parts store for some small odds and ends. Probably gonna add yet another day to the project :/

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JMBT , ZeroNthedark
Looking pretty! Much nicer than that hot mess you arrived with! I now wash mine down with hot water, Dawn, a rag and a garden hose... LOL! Keep her fresh. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Looking good. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
09-06-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
(09-04-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Looking good. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

As long as it isn't a freight train!

Yeah, spending a few extra days degreasing, removing rust buildup, cleaning and repainting all the external parts as I put em back on. My engine bay is tight and set back into the cad so it's hard to paint about half the engine once assembled, plus this way I can get a coat of paint on the back sides of components to help prevent rust buildup in the first place.

And for those who say painting is unnecessary and a waste of time, I'd argue that beyond the nice clean look you have the added bonus of being able to spot new leaks really quickly as they will stand out against the new paint. Like Waterloo mentioned, I plan to personally clean the engine bay from here on out (no power washing monkeys will touch this baby).

As for progress, lots of cleaning/painting. Got the new damper installed and fixed up some of the wiring harnesses that were starting to fall apart (mostly the wire loom disintegrating). Also started the day yesterday with a slight hangover, so I wasn't moving too fast...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , snailexpress , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.