New Cast Iron Oil Pump pressure low
11-08-2020, (Subject: New Cast Iron Oil Pump pressure low ) 
RE: New Cast Iron Oil Pump pressure low
Thanks for the offer Rawze, The ECU programming is stock standard updated earlier this year by Cummins. EGR is fitted.

Day time ambient temperatures exceed 110. The normal running oil temperature is 225 on flat ground. Climb a decent hill and the oil temp will increase to 240 pulling three trailers.
replyreply
12-05-2020, (Subject: New Cast Iron Oil Pump pressure low ) 
Hi there , I just did the bottom end of my 485 isx on a 2010 t660, I replaced the oil pump and when I tested the truck found the same issue with the oil pressure dropping at times to the low 30s bobtail every time I was shifting gears and the rpms got to 1400 or southern, so I got scare and went to Kenworth and they told me that was perfectly fine, so the new pumps are designed like that, I obviously didn’t like it so I decided to shim the pump and did it today, I did put 10 USA dimes making a half of an inch, when I took out the oil pan I found out that they’re slight differences on the top part of the pump that you have to work on, now instead the pin to hold all the parts including spring in place, there’s a threaded cap with that you get unscrewed with a 14 mm hexagonal tool, when i putted it back together and start the truck it was giving me 80 psi at 800 rpms, then started to go down as the engine heated up to eventually drop to 39 at 185 degrees coolant temp , but when I hit the throttle up to 1500 it would go up again to 80 psi and as soon as I let it go it would go down to 39. It seems to much change for me , maybe if I put just 5 dimes would it be better? What do you guys think?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
12-06-2020, (Subject: New Cast Iron Oil Pump pressure low ) 
Mandy, what was the pressure when going down the road under a load? And you are running that motor over 1500 rpm's correct? I like to be in the 1600 to 1700 range when dragging a trailer. I have the old style pump, no shim and she is pretty steady at 39 psi. These are low pressure motors, 80 psi seems to be a bit much, I would halve the dimes.

I would also run some gear lube in your oil, Sta-Lube is what many of us use here, or the Walmart brand, in the blue gallon jug, I forget the name, it is the Walmart house brand of gear lube.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mandy0917
(12-06-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Mandy, what was the pressure when going down the road under a load? And you are running that motor over 1500 rpm's correct? I like to be in the 1600 to 1700 range when dragging a trailer. I have the old style pump, no shim and she is pretty steady at 39 psi. These are low pressure motors, 80 psi seems to be a bit much, I would halve the dimes.

I would also run some gear lube in your oil, Sta-Lube is what many of us use here, or the Walmart brand, in the blue gallon jug, I forget the name, it is the Walmart house brand of gear lube.

Waterloo , I haven’t haul a load yet, just shimmed the pump today, those 1500 rpms were with the truck stopped, I did run it bobtail around the yard but I didn’t like that pressure being that high, I’m opening it again tomorrow to take 5 dimes out of it to see how it goes, I’ll get some pictures and posted them tomorrow, I didn’t knew this new pumps standards, I would have leave the old one there instead, thanks for your advice Sir
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Good plan, these are not the old pumps, and it is good of you to be the guinea pig. You will help others here with your findings. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
(12-05-2020 )Mandy0917 Wrote:  Hi there , I just did the bottom end of my 485 isx on a 2010 t660, I replaced the oil pump and when I tested the truck found the same issue with the oil pressure dropping at times to the low 30s bobtail every time I was shifting gears and the rpms got to 1400 or southern, so I got scare and went to Kenworth and they told me that was perfectly fine, so the new pumps are designed like that, I obviously didn’t like it so I decided to shim the pump and did it today, I did put 10 USA dimes making a half of an inch, when I took out the oil pan I found out that they’re slight differences on the top part of the pump that you have to work on, now instead the pin to hold all the parts including spring in place, there’s a threaded cap with that you get unscrewed with a 14 mm hexagonal tool, when i putted it back together and start the truck it was giving me 80 psi at 800 rpms, then started to go down as the engine heated up to eventually drop to 39 at 185 degrees coolant temp , but when I hit the throttle up to 1500 it would go up again to 80 psi and as soon as I let it go it would go down to 39. It seems to much change for me , maybe if I put just 5 dimes would it be better? What do you guys think?

The dimes trick was for the old style pump only. You obviously made it too strong trying to do the same trick to the new style pump. - 80 psi is too much for that engine, you would be doing good at about 50 psi. Your going to loose a front cover gasket and have other issues trying to drive it with that much oil pressure. Not only that, the oil filter pressure relief valve will open and completely bypass the filter causing it to not function at that high oil pressure as well.

Anything above abut 48~ish is not going to be safe to run long term.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Waterloo , Pd6cas2
(12-06-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-05-2020 )Mandy0917 Wrote:  Hi there , I just did the bottom end of my 485 isx on a 2010 t660, I replaced the oil pump and when I tested the truck found the same issue with the oil pressure dropping at times to the low 30s bobtail every time I was shifting gears and the rpms got to 1400 or southern, so I got scare and went to Kenworth and they told me that was perfectly fine, so the new pumps are designed like that, I obviously didn’t like it so I decided to shim the pump and did it today, I did put 10 USA dimes making a half of an inch, when I took out the oil pan I found out that they’re slight differences on the top part of the pump that you have to work on, now instead the pin to hold all the parts including spring in place, there’s a threaded cap with that you get unscrewed with a 14 mm hexagonal tool, when i putted it back together and start the truck it was giving me 80 psi at 800 rpms, then started to go down as the engine heated up to eventually drop to 39 at 185 degrees coolant temp , but when I hit the throttle up to 1500 it would go up again to 80 psi and as soon as I let it go it would go down to 39. It seems to much change for me , maybe if I put just 5 dimes would it be better? What do you guys think?

The dimes trick was for the old style pump only. You obviously made it too strong trying to do the same trick to the new style pump. - 80 psi is too much for that engine, you would be doing good at about 50 psi. Your going to loose a front cover gasket and have other issues trying to drive it with that much oil pressure. Not only that, the oil filter pressure relief valve will open and completely bypass the filter causing it to not function at that high oil pressure as well.

Anything above abut 48~ish is not going to be safe to run long term.

So what do you think would be a starting point? If I put 10 dimes and getting 80 ish, how many would you take out to make it work at those 48ish? I was thinking taking 5 out, it could be even more, let’s see, thanks for your advice Sir
replyreply
So did some simple math here, you have an oil pressure gain of 50psi at 1500rpm adding 10 dimes. 50psi÷10dimes would equal 5psi per dime. I'd try leaving 3 dimes in the pump and see where it settles.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mandy0917
RAWZE can you shed some light on why cummins engineers hate oil pressure? Is it really true more than about 50psi will not only do all of what you said but also wash out bearings? Why does a cat run 60ish forever and cummins will self destruct over 50ish? Also im assuming that my reman 2350 has an old style pump if im runnin 42 at speed?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.