Dump Truck Build
01-20-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
RE: Dump Truck Build
(01-20-2021 )Pigpen 2869 Wrote:  You did a nice job. Did you remember to whack the back of the cab with a grinder and tell your customer “Fuckked if I know how it happened” ?????

Lol. My customer is me. I been watching me like a hawk. I’ll never get away with that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-22-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
(01-20-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  One concern I see with that build is those rear axles.

I did not see anything indicating that the rear axles were upgraded to handle all the weight on the back end with the dump bed up and all the weight sitting back there. - Most dump-trucks with larger dump beds like that I have seen, have really stiff and extra big thick leaf suspension springs, cross-members, larger than normal torsion bars, extra heavy duty axles and housings to handle this so that the back-end does not get distorted over time and so that the back-end is not soft under the immense weight shifting onto the very back axle alone once it is all the way up.

The pivot point looks like it is a fair bit behind the back axle too... Seems it would make it more unstable than normal and possibly a bit dangerous under really heave loads?.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble there, it is just what comes to mind when looking at the pics, etc. - I am just speculating, I have never owned a dump-truck, but these things would be my concern.

https://www.worktruckonline.com/287843/f...suspension
This is what is on my 2020 freightliner 108sd dump

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
01-23-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
Nice Job. This looks like a well thought out project. I'm not sure if i missed it or if it was mentioned, In all our triaxles that have air ride the dump valve is tied to the PTO so that as soon as the PTO is engaged the suspension is dumped. This is the Golden Rule with air suspension. Its unbelievable how little mud or dirt stuck in the front corner it takes to move the center of gravity over the frame and air in the suspension only helps then to roll er over. I'm sure driving this yourself that may seam extreme but the day you hire a driver you might want to think about it. One other note, the moment that the hoist begins to lift the load, the frame below the hoist takes a considerable amount of load for example a 6" hoist needing 2500 PSI to lift will exert 70650# against the frame, this is only for the initial as the dump body works on a diminishing load theory however most of our double frame Binders have had to have a repair and a 3rd section of rail added below the hoist. Our gross weights run a little higher here the same configuration at max here gets us 82830lbs or 37650kg. Nice Post
replyreply
01-23-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
(01-23-2021 )2dlb Wrote:  Nice Job. This looks like a well thought out project. I'm not sure if i missed it or if it was mentioned, In all our triaxles that have air ride the dump valve is tied to the PTO so that as soon as the PTO is engaged the suspension is dumped. This is the Golden Rule with air suspension. Its unbelievable how little mud or dirt stuck in the front corner it takes to move the center of gravity over the frame and air in the suspension only helps then to roll er over. I'm sure driving this yourself that may seam extreme but the day you hire a driver you might want to think about it. One other note, the moment that the hoist begins to lift the load, the frame below the hoist takes a considerable amount of load for example a 6" hoist needing 2500 PSI to lift will exert 70650# against the frame, this is only for the initial as the dump body works on a diminishing load theory however most of our double frame Binders have had to have a repair and a 3rd section of rail added below the hoist. Our gross weights run a little higher here the same configuration at max here gets us 82830lbs or 37650kg. Nice Post

Thank you. I have to agree there... any dump truck frame I have ever seen broken is near the hoist. Except for one time a local farmer forgot to unlatch the tailgate when he dumped. The load went to the back and the truck frame bent upwards. Like an upside down U Oops. I will take your advice and look into making the suspension dump with the PTO. I will be dumping it every time anyway, and that will keep me from forgetting. Thanks again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
04-09-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
Well I figured I would give another little update to my project. Got the box painted and everything bolted back on. Had the shop that did the painting cut me out some old school stripes outta vinyl for the cab and hood. Had a local girl who runs a polishing business come down here and polish up the aluminum and stainless. Then she buffed the paint. She does an awesome job. I know that mostly this site is about repairs and maintenance and fuel mileage...but I am pretty proud of the way this one looks! I haven’t ever been too big on spending money on customization like lights or chrome, but I figured I went this far I might as well add some air cleaner lights and cab panels. I got it out on the road finally and hauled the first few loads with it this past week. I’ve only put about 300 miles on since I put it in service but I am already pretty happy. It’s comfortable and already I got better fuel mileage than the old Mack got, and I haven’t settled in and gotten comfortable driving yet.

I don’t know if it was this thread or another I posted but Rawze brought up the gear ratio being a little fast for a dump truck. It has 3.91. I think Rawze is right. I can see where 3.91 rear ratio might be a little fast I can see me swapping out maybe getting down in the 4.33 range. If it was a new truck I coulda picked that but it’s hard to find a used truck that has EVERYTHING just right. I think I have a good start with this one. I will be putting the rear change on the back burner though because I have been spending money all winter it is time to bring in a few bucks with this thing!!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , amermextrucker , RocketScott
Looks damn good! Don't ya wish it could make money just sitting there....almost hate to put dirt in the bed lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , tree98 , ahub86
(04-09-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  Looks damn good! Don't ya wish it could make money just sitting there....almost hate to put dirt in the bed lol

The hardest day will be the first time I take it on a oil and stone job. All day on fresh road,
slinging little stones up off my tires. I think I literally will cry. But that’s how I pay the bills! Toughen up and run it...right?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.