Helping a local guy with his truck
07-24-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
Helping a local guy with his truck
He recently bought a 2014 pete 388 cm2350 w/500k mi. straight truck with a brine tank that he wants to put a log loader on and turn it into a log truck.

He mentioned to me that it was demandated so I informed him about the bad delete plague that's worse than covid and that he should get the program looked at asap.

He asked the seller who did the demandate and was told piss poor power did the work. I told him it's definitely bad if that's who did it but let's get it verified and then you'll see why these bad deletes are no joke.

I ran down the list of things he's gonna need to do just to the engine

Rebuild fuel pump (he took the head off and no damage inside) parts are ordered.

Hollow out the cans as I'm sure they didn't do much if anything to them.

Install block plates

Change imap, exhaust pressure sensors

New balancer

Set overhead

Run leakdown test after pump is back together then fix leaks.

etc.

I also mentioned maybe getting a block test kit and checking for combustion gases in the coolant before going to crazy on the engine because it might already have a dropped liner in which case it's gotta go down to Georgia.

So we'll see what Rawze says about the program, I sent it over this morning, although I think I already know the verdict.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
07-25-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
RE: Helping a local guy with his truck
Thought I read a thread on dampeners or something like that where the OP asked about PP and Rawze replied that {part of post removed... untrue} and had even done some consulting with him.?? The way I understood it he wasn'treally saying it was good. Maybe just not as harmful as it use to be?
replyreply
07-25-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
(07-25-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Thought I read a thread on dampeners or something like that where the OP asked about PP and Rawze replied that in more recent times PP wasn't all that bad and had even done some consulting with him.?? The way I understood it he wasn'treally saying it was good. Maybe just not as harmful as it use to be?

I looked at this PP tune 2 days ago and it was beyond horrible... they are still no-good in my book for that type of work. I haven't commented much about it because i have guests that I have been busy with last few days.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-28-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
Curious what the hp and torque was set at and what it was likely boosting to. Is there a way to tell which codes were suppressed?

replyreply
07-28-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
(07-28-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Curious what the hp and torque was set at and what it was likely boosting to. Is there a way to tell which codes were suppressed?

power/torque were stock. timing was horrible. mode control was non-existent...so that means its going to over-boost and make heat in exhaust all the time... it was barely jail-broke./.. and block fault tables were slap full of blocked codes.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
07-29-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
after considering all the information I gave him in regards to his engine needing an inframe and probably a cam, turbo, rear structure gasket, etc. He's decided to sell the truck instead of putting $40K into the engine and still having a truck chassis that was beat on in the oil fields.

He's use to CAT's and thought because this truck only had 500K miles it could go atleast another 500K before the engine needed much.

replyreply
07-30-2021, (Subject: Helping a local guy with his truck ) 
Neglect is neglect and abuse takes its toll on everything. CAT engines suffer from the same type of failures. I never truly understood the CAT guys saying their engines last forever. Everyone of them have a laundry list of things they've had done to them and if you listen to most of the engines run you know instantly there is another laundry list of things that need to be done. Just because the engine technically runs does mean it's not ass out whooped.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
6NZ Cats are famous for going a million or more even when lugged to death and not maintained perfectly. It might only get 3 miles to the gallon while doing it. But your right any engine can suffer from neglect, some with more problems than others.

Most cat guys are use to pre emissions engines so all the stuff that goes along with these epa engine's isn't even a thought in their mind until it's sitting in their driveway with the CEL on.

replyreply
(07-30-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  6NZ Cats are famous for going a million or more even when lugged to death and not maintained perfectly. It might only get 3 miles to the gallon while doing it. But your right any engine can suffer from neglect, some with more problems than others.

Most cat guys are use to pre emissions engines so all the stuff that goes along with these epa engine's isn't even a thought in their mind until it's sitting in their driveway with the CEL on.

... But our bottom dollar year after year is far less with that supposedly "tougher" old yellow thing of the past. ISX kicks its teeth out of one and lasts just as long if you simply maintain it a bit ... and after a million miles, I can buy 2 more whole brand new trucks and enignes in profit margin alone vs. that yellow turd of yester-year.

- You could not give me one of those engines,... I like my 9.5+ mpg waaaay too much! vs. a yello-turd maybe 7 in the same situation if I am really lucky.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.