EGTs and Gauge
10-14-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
EGTs and Gauge
Got my pyrometer installed today finally. Settled on a location for the probe that is against the exhaust side of the turbo housing at the inlet against the housing, where it can't really be exposed to much of if any cooler air temps.

Just wanted to verify a couple things I know I've read but can't remember where. Im wanting to get some longevity out of this motor and its components the best I can.

First, the turbo housing can only handle 1350F for 3 min, correct?

Second, a safe shutdown temp for the turbo. Prior to the gauge ive always just idled until my oil temp was down to 185-200F before shutting down. Now with this gauge, I want to say 300-400F or lower is safe?
replyreply
10-14-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
RE: EGTs and Gauge
EGT's themselves is 1350f max for 3 mins. However your not measuring this if you did not install the probe into the exhaust stream itself.

Outer housing temp on the other hand is roughly 950f sustained on a long pull. Having Good air flow under the hood helps with this a lot too.

As far as shutting it down.. anything below about 350f on the outer housing and your fine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: NDISX15
10-15-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
That was the other thing I had wondered was if I was accurately measuring the case temp, or if there was going to be an offset to the temps from the probe not being in the manifold itself. I have what I would consider great airflow thru the engine compartment, so I dont suspect that to be much of an issue. Empty at 65k lbs, the highest I saw was about 750F when I was getting on the interstate heading home after installation with a 540/1850 tune. Otherwise it ran 75 mph like nothing at about 450-500F with a crosswind of about 20 mph.
replyreply
Here are my thoughts on the pyro being mounted on the outside of the manifold vs. installing it the traditional way ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid17307

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-15-2021 )NDISX15 Wrote:  That was the other thing I had wondered was if I was accurately measuring the case temp, or if there was going to be an offset to the temps from the probe not being in the manifold itself. I have what I would consider great airflow thru the engine compartment, so I dont suspect that to be much of an issue. Empty at 65k lbs, the highest I saw was about 750F when I was getting on the interstate heading home after installation with a 540/1850 tune. Otherwise it ran 75 mph like nothing at about 450-500F with a crosswind of about 20 mph.

Am I understanding that you put the probe against the inlet tube ? I had mine installed like that for some time before and after mandate before temps always below 500 only 400 during regen after still below 500 but 100 degrees higher on average usually around 400. Now it’s in the exhaust behind turbo and temps are higher but nothing like people on here are seeing I’m around 425 to 450 most times and hard pulls 550 to 650 Ive only got to 700 once. Either my gauge is bad or I’m running my truck easier. I’d buy another gauge but at almost 129 bucks I didn’t want to waste it if it wasn’t needed.
replyreply
10-16-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
Cruising at 68 in 18th empty with the cruise on im between 500-680 on the highway with rolling hills. Interstate at 75 is slightly cooler, but the difference lies in each truck is different. Im 65k empty with trailer, and running a 540/1850 tune on my motor that was 450/1650 stock. More fuel means more heat, but yes, my probe is against the inlet tube. Grossing 140k in 17th at 60-65 with some rolling hills and a couple short pulls it seems like im around 750-850 avg....and sometimes depending on my momentum im seeing 900 but when I hit 900 im turning on the engine fan to cool off on a pull or I just drop an extra gear and let it walk up the hill.
replyreply
10-16-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
I went from 450/1650 if I remember correctly to 500/1850 but that seems like the normal temps everyone is seeing for having the probe into the stream at least I can’t remember that’s what I’ve been working on the last few days trying to find out from people on here to see if mine is normal or my gauge is broke but I’ve never seen 900 on my EGT gauge with the probe against the manifold or against the pipe on exhaust side of turbo nor with the probe into the exhaust pipe behind the turbo. But again with my head having 700k on it and having had those leaking cup fix rings installed I baby it always I’m worried my head won’t take the heat so o try to keep it cool. And that’s with my boost range between zero and 22ish max I don’t go up to what it can max which is 32
replyreply
10-18-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
I try to keep my boost down, but with how heavy I run i need full boost at times. I find with my tune i rarely ever have to run floor boarded down the road anymore to keep speed. If im loaded hard I may hold it to the floor here and there but half throttle is just about plenty for most anything other than the river valleys. I put my probe on the inlet tube to watch my turbo housing temps. 1350 sustained for 3 min is the max before the turbo starts taking damage which translates to about 950 being mounted outside the stream. I dont push much past 850 900 to be on the safe side.

Mounting in the pipe post turbo ive heard before from the cummins pickup world, the rule of thumb persay was to add 300 to whatever your gauge is saying due to the turbo itself cooling the exhaust stream.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: GhostHauling
10-25-2021, (Subject: EGTs and Gauge ) 
(10-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  EGT's themselves is 1350f max for 3 mins. However your not measuring this if you did not install the probe into the exhaust stream itself.

Outer housing temp on the other hand is roughly 950f sustained on a long pull. Having Good air flow under the hood helps with this a lot too.

As far as shutting it down.. anything below about 350f on the outer housing and your fine.

EGT probe was installed into the manifold today, which now i have to change my train of thought on the gauge readings while driving pulling.....so if i understand this correctly......inside the manifold probe placement,max temp is 1350F sustained no longer than 3 min, correct?

Just dont wanna blow something up before can start dialing in the tuning here. Looking to try and do a custom tune to make this truck perform nicely for what it does 7 days a week.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.