EGR bypass tube housing leak
01-09-2022, (Subject: EGR bypass tube housing leak ) 
EGR bypass tube housing leak
Good morning,
In the process of of replacing manifold bolts and gaskets; I noticed the huge mess of black liquid dripping. The emissions have been deleted, but they left the EGR cooler on and flowing - is what i was told. The truck has been running good, and not using a weird amount of coolant or oil. A gallon of coolant every 3 to 4 weeks, gallon of oil every couple weeks. I do have small oil and coolant leaks.
Any ideas?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202201/post_5676_1641737790_6f83bc26b36c2203bf2ff379e8f21070.jpeg./uploads/202201/post_5676_1641737805_e5f1acfb2da2b7220dd54ebf152b6726.jpeg
replyreply
RE: EGR bypass tube housing leak
Where was the block plate installed?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-09-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Where was the block plate installed?

I do not know. I was told the cooler was left on and flowing to supply coolant to areas that need it; like the #5 and 6 cylinders.
replyreply
Just because the egr pipe is wet, does not mean that the egr cooler itself is leaking.

The joint you circled is in the egr piping. If that piping has been blocked off then it is prone to collecting moisture, depending on where a block plate was installed. The seepage could simply be moisture buildup and not coolant at all.

If you want to check if the egr cooler is leaking then this video shows roughly how to do that...

-- The bigger concern is the "delete" program itself. Who did this programming,.. and If you have not already, you need to get the program properly reviewed. It does not matter how much you think it 'runs ok".. because these engines will slowly eat their own guts out with bad delete programming, all while the truck owner swears that it runs great.

Also, in the photo that shows the whole side of the engine.. it is very evident that you have valve guide problems. The #4, #5 and #6 ports are covered in OIL,.. not coolant.

lastly.. you need to be 110% SURE that the exhaust is as free-flowing as possible. - A lot of these clown who "delete" these trucks will not do this properly.. they make half-arssed some hioles in the elements or don't hollow out the SCR properly,.. and all kinds of other horrible things instead of making ALL 3 of the cans 100% bare to the metal like they are supposed to be. - If this was not well enough then it will make higher than normal heat and back-pressure in the exhaust system and at the engine itself, causing gasket leaks, turbo failures, and all sorts of other engine problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rix43
(01-09-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  Just because the egr pipe is wet, does not mean that the egr cooler itself is leaking.

The joint you circled is in the egr piping. If that piping has been blocked off then it is prone to collecting moisture, depending on where a block plate was installed. The seepage could simply be moisture buildup and not coolant at all.

If you want to check if the egr cooler is leaking then this video shows roughly how to do that...

-- The bigger concern is the "delete" program itself. Who did this programming,.. and If you have not already, you need to get the program properly reviewed. It does nt matter how much you think it 'runs ok".. because these engines will slowly eat their own guts out with bad delete programming, all while the truck owner swears that it runs great.

Also, in the photo that shows the whole side of the engine.. it is very evident that you have valve guide problems. The #4, #5 and #6 ports are covered in OIL,.. not coolant.

Any chance you can have any openings, in the next week or 2? I will just bring it to you.
replyreply
Ok, so at this point I need to be searching for a shop who can handle all of this checking things out, that needs to be done. I will never pretend to be a technician. My vocabulary on the parts and components is also not very good. The only thing I know to say, is what I was told which is - One of the emissions filters was supposedly removed completely - not drilled - or maybe both of them. The EGR cooler was left flowing for proper functions of the engine. No increased horsepower or torque was added. Unfortunately that is my extent. They are a highly recommended shop, that did it, but my lack of European vocabulary prevented a thorough understanding of what they did.

How are valve guide problems resolved? The manifold bolts closest to the firewall were the 2 that were sheared off at the head, and I have been idling a lot lately because I stay where the temps are so freaking cold.

I will not pretend to know everything, and really enjoy receiving good advice.
replyreply
Call this place

Haggai Automotive And Diesel Repair

1228 High Falls Rd, Griffin, GA 30223
(678) 688-8107 https://g.co/kgs/gGbwJc

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Rix43
03-03-2022, (Subject: EGR bypass tube housing leak ) 
(01-09-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Call this place

Haggai Automotive And Diesel Repair

1228 High Falls Rd, Griffin, GA 30223
(678) 688-8107 https://g.co/kgs/gGbwJc

Got it. I did not think about make it at a machine shop, but this is a good idea. I called Mr. Hagg's shop but they told me they do not sell any.
Thank you though.

User's Signature: Volvo 2013 ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
03-03-2022, (Subject: EGR bypass tube housing leak ) 
(03-03-2022 )gemarsim Wrote:  Got it. I did not think about make it at a machine shop, but this is a good idea. I called Mr. Hagg's shop but they told me they do not sell any.
Thank you though.

To have a local machine shop make a bunch of those "hockey-pucks" outa some good 304-stainless then sell the left-overs yourself for a bit of profit?.

User's Signature: my wisdom is small. my heart is big. my love for trucking is somewhere in between.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.