become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!.
05-13-2022, (Subject: become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!. ) 
become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!.
What is a hyper-miler?. The answer to that can be found here: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid24378

It looks like fuel prices are going to skyrocket this summer... or possibly some fuel rationing here and there at some point.
ref: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/diesel...owner-says

And with all the claims of parts shortages and excuses to keep the ports half-way closed by the mobster port unions and big garbage government, it will drive maintenance and parts costs thru the roof. You wait and see.

If you are a truck owner and you are not RIGHT NOW, taking steps towards gearing yourself up to become a hyper-miler, doing all the extra preventative maintenance to your equipment to keep its service costs to a minimum, etc... then you are going to be the one paying the price for it.

When you are suddenly loosing your arsse because you have nothing but engine issues and ...

you have insane high fuel bills and ...

you have not bothered to re-spec the rear ends (on those trucks with tall rear ends) to prevent lugging the engine to an agonizing death ...

you have not lowered your torque levels a bit for this reason too and ...

you have NOT started slowing down TO START LIMITING BOOST WHILE YOU DRIVE UP THOSE HILLS TO SAVE FUEL and ...

... then don't say that you did not have any notice ... and then come on here in few months or a year from now, crying that your fuel mileage and higher repair bills is killing all your profits.

- It may be just the beer talkin.' .. but I SEE IT COMING. - Inflation and this green battery-vehicle garbage push crap is going to cause the prices to operate and own a truck is going to go WAAY UP ... you watch and see.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , hhow55 , Pd6cas2 , johnnydngrs , amermextrucker
RE: become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!.
We are near $7 in Pa. When does freight become too expensive? I run dumpsters, so less of an issue for me, but definitely affecting my pricing.
replyreply
Wow, what part of PA ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
It would be a good idea to make sure, air filter is changed when needed, tire's properly inflated, wheel alignment is good, and wheel end play is in specs. All these thing's matter, including slowing down, and keep the boost at a minimum.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Rawze , hookliftpete
05-14-2022, (Subject: become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!. ) 
Yep, fuel rates are def eye opening. When I see these guys blow by me, I'm always wondering what the fuel bill (among other expenses) must be. In fact, the guy who used to run the same lane with me pulled his truck and trailer (in the middle of the week with no warning nonetheless) a month or so back because he said fuel was too much and he just wasn't making it.....

...However, he was running a 94 Pete at 70+mph everywhere and proud to be getting 5-5.5mpg.

Some weeks I'll spend nearly 2k on fuel alone. I shop the price heavily and my truck averages 8.8-9mpg consistently. I can't imagine nearly doubling that expense just due to a lack of self control.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete , JimT
(05-14-2022 )SquareOne Wrote:  Yep, fuel rates are def eye opening. When I see these guys blow by me, I'm always wondering what the fuel bill (among other expenses) must be. In fact, the guy who used to run the same lane with me pulled his truck and trailer (in the middle of the week with no warning nonetheless) a month or so back because he said fuel was too much and he just wasn't making it.....

...However, he was running a 94 Pete at 70+mph everywhere and proud to be getting 5-5.5mpg.

Some weeks I'll spend nearly 2k on fuel alone. I shop the price heavily and my truck averages 8.8-9mpg consistently. I can't imagine nearly doubling that expense just due to a lack of self control.

Lots of variables in this upside down bizzaro world we're living in today. When compared to gross revenue, my fuel expense has only increased 3%. Until the house of cards falls (and it will), fuel cost alone for some is still a smaller concern than other looming issues on the horizon. Not saying that's the case for the majority out there, because I know the scabby Cascadia with an Amazon trailer blowing past me is just in the fast lane to bankruptcy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete
Getting the equipment paid in full, would be good. Along with $30k emergency fund, for the unexpected.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
05-15-2022, (Subject: become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!. ) 
My 09 387 just can't seem to get out of the high 6's. I keep the boost under 20 but it doesn't seem to matter. Empty I can be in the 8's but I'm usually loaded heavy with racing fuel. Could be the tires....XDN2 are very high rolling resistance....could be an injector issue as I do notice a shudder around 1350 rpm plus I've had a it run after the key was off twice in 18 months. Thought I had solved it replacing the actuators and shut off solenoid that had 1.4 million miles on them but it did it again a couple days ago.
replyreply
05-15-2022, (Subject: become a hypermiler.. or pay the price!. ) 
(05-15-2022 )Nilao Wrote:  My 09 387 just can't seem to get out of the high 6's. I keep the boost under 20 but it doesn't seem to matter. Empty I can be in the 8's but I'm usually loaded heavy with racing fuel. Could be the tires....XDN2 are very high rolling resistance....could be an injector issue as I do notice a shudder around 1350 rpm plus I've had a it run after the key was off twice in 18 months. Thought I had solved it replacing the actuators and shut off solenoid that had 1.4 million miles on them but it did it again a couple days ago.

make sure fuel is not bleeding out of the doser injector behind the turbo.. and that it is not seeping out somewhere under the truck on a return line.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.