Is Engine brake safe to use for engine?
06-03-2022, (Subject: Is Engine brake safe to use for engine? ) 
Is Engine brake safe to use for engine?
Just curios about engine brake for cummins engine. Does it do any harm to the engine? Heavy hauling and with 150,000 lbs on steep road little bit scared for the engine.
replyreply
06-04-2022, (Subject: Is Engine brake safe to use for engine? ) 
RE: Is Engine brake safe to use for engine?
The engine brake can cause harm to the engine if someone has jacked with engine brake settings in the programming. The typical bad delete programs that people use are notorious for this kind of crap.

Aside from that, if the engine brake and engine programming is still factory set, then ...

The negative hp that the engine brake absorbs from the truck and load does not do cause any more engine wear than the same amount of positive torque/power when pressing the fuel pedal. matter of fact, since there is no fuel being applied, there is slightly less wear.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: arazdolgin , GhostHauling , JMBT , JimT
Thank you ! I’ve been wondering this for years after a guy I knew lost his transmission when he let off and the Jake’s kicked on well that’s what he said. Also I haven’t used stage 3 since my DeMandate because stage 3 would throw 35psi of boost very violently and it didn’t sound right so stage 2 was the max I used at 15 psi and worried it would wear unevenly those 4 cylinders so I guess there’s a question should you use stage 3 or does it not matter ?
replyreply
(06-04-2022 )GhostHauling Wrote:  Thank you ! I’ve been wondering this for years after a guy I knew lost his transmission when he let off and the Jake’s kicked on well that’s what he said. Also I haven’t used stage 3 since my DeMandate because stage 3 would throw 35psi of boost very violently and it didn’t sound right so stage 2 was the max I used at 15 psi and worried it would wear unevenly those 4 cylinders so I guess there’s a question should you use stage 3 or does it not matter ?

Stage 1 only uses rear 3 cylinders, stage 2 uses all 6, stage 3 uses all 6 and increases back pressure.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: GhostHauling , JMBT , Slavic S
Awesome thanks for the info ! Didn’t know that just figured 3 stages 6 cylinders so it seemed like that made sense but considering how strong stage 2 has been that makes perfect sense
replyreply
I always try to keep boost under about 25psi when jaking down a grade. It easy with a Volvo because of the 6 position Jake stick on the column.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
06-05-2022, (Subject: Is Engine brake safe to use for engine? ) 
35psi sounds kinda high unless it's an x15 which comes fairly close to that. I would program an activation delay so the Jake's don't slam on when lifting off the pedal. Also get the tuned checked by someone on here and get the boost dialed back. You shouldn't be seeing more than 30lbs of boost when jaking.
replyreply
I see about 35 psi boost on my max jake. Mine is a 2350isx demandated by a reputable member of this forum, I do not Jake at 1800-2000rpm’s on third stage. If I’m in a pinch I drop to second stage to be safe. I also programmed a .7 second delay in the Engine break which makes it easy to upshift without turning them off.
Maybe someone can chime in, but is there some parameters I can change in calteerm to bring the boost level down a bit during engine breaking? I know reading through older threads Unilevers mentioned no more than 35 psi.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
(06-05-2022 )SemiSweet Wrote:  I see about 35 psi boost on my max jake. Mine is a 2350isx demandated by a reputable member of this forum, I do not Jake at 1800-2000rpm’s on third stage. If I’m in a pinch I drop to second stage to be safe. I also programmed a .7 second delay in the Engine break which makes it easy to upshift without turning them off.
Maybe someone can chime in, but is there some parameters I can change in calteerm to bring the boost level down a bit during engine breaking? I know reading through older threads Unilevers mentioned no more than 35 psi.

Running Rough programmed mine, the boost wasn’t right on the first go too low the second go made it too high but I didn’t really drive it and find out for a week and after that Running Rough has been busy and we couldn’t get linked up so Rawze was nice enough to let me send it to him and he fixed a few things he said the boost settings were for a Square Nose Truck like a Pete or KW or really anything without Air restrictions like the ProStar and Everyone knows Rawze is a Prostar Wizard so he found & fixed it right away I put it back in the truck and did a short test drive and it seemed to have fixed all issues with the boost I’ll know more Monday when I load up. So I’m not sure if your truck is like mine and that’s your issue but I know for the isx15 cm2350 32psi should be max boost when driving so I’d think on the jakes it would be the same but I can’t say for sure. With that said when mine was boosting 35psi on stage 3 I didn’t use stage 3 just stage 2 but the max boost wasn’t the only thing mine was doing mine was a Violent ramp from 0-35psi in a few seconds so I had to always ease on the Throttle.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.