6x2 conversion
11-13-2022, (Subject: 6x2 conversion ) 
6x2 conversion
I am concerning converting my prostar into a 6x2 for 2 reasons 1, to lighten up the truck and 2, to gain fuel millage. I'm looking for insite on doing or not doing this.
replyreply
RE: 6x2 conversion
Can you elaborate on what your talking about? Maybe I'm just dumb but what do you mean by 6x2 ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: earnies2
Remove my front rearend. Move my rear rearend foward and mount a tag axle in its place.
replyreply
I've seen people swap the front and rear axle, remove the chunk from the relocated front now rear axle, weld in plugs into the axle tubes and cut off the spindles putting the caps back on...there's no way to check the oil in those though....
replyreply
Just my opinion.... Is the extremely small amount of weight you save gonna be worth it? And how exactly would that improve fuel mileage enough to actually tell?
replyreply
(11-13-2022 )earnies2 Wrote:  I am concerning converting my prostar into a 6x2 for 2 reasons 1, to lighten up the truck and 2, to gain fuel millage. I'm looking for insite on doing or not doing this.

You will NOT have any large amounts of fuel savings. It will only be a few tenths, and that is only when your lightly loaded ... not heavy and the tag axle isn't down. You will however gain a little bit of weight savings but it will be all at the cost of eating the tires up in the rear end 2x faster. Expect buying a set of drives about every 170k - 180k miles or so, especially if your running close to 80k.

People who have done this also say they get stuck constantly in parking lots, and have a lot of other headaches. This especially if you run in the north or out west in the winter months. Even if you convert/switch out the rears with a set of double-lockers, it is still 2x more easy to get stuck somewhere.

-= For 99.9% of people.. it is NOT worth doing.. and almost everyone I have met has regretted it after a year or 2.

You need to think heavily what little benefit you would get.. vs all the headaches that will accompany it. that is what i am saying.. and yeah, it is a lot of added headaches for most of the people that I have met in the past who tried it + it eating them up in tire replacement expenses far above what tiny bit of fuel they tried to save... especially if they regularly haul anywhere close to 80k lbs.

if you want better fuel savings.. then become a hyper-miler... slow down, drive by your boost gauge.. and learn to get 8+ mpg out of the truck that you have. that is the place to start.. and not by trying to modify your truck to compensate for less than optimal driving habits.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
12-03-2022, (Subject: 6x2 conversion ) 
(11-13-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-13-2022 )earnies2 Wrote:  I am concerning converting my prostar into a 6x2 for 2 reasons 1, to lighten up the truck and 2, to gain fuel millage. I'm looking for insite on doing or not doing this.

You will NOT have any large amounts of fuel savings. It will only be a few tenths, and that is only when your lightly loaded ... not heavy and the tag axle isn't down. You will however gain a little bit of weight savings but it will be all at the cost of eating the tires up in the rear end 2x faster. Expect buying a set of drives about every 170k - 180k miles or so, especially if your running close to 80k.

People who have done this also say they get stuck constantly in parking lots, and have a lot of other headaches. This especially if you run in the north or out west in the winter months. Even if you convert/switch out the rears with a set of double-lockers, it is still 2x more easy to get stuck somewhere.

-= For 99.9% of people.. it is NOT worth doing.. and almost everyone I have met has regretted it after a year or 2.

You need to think heavily what little benefit you would get.. vs all the headaches that will accompany it. that is what i am saying.. and yeah, it is a lot of added headaches for most of the people that I have met in the past who tried it + it eating them up in tire replacement expenses far above what tiny bit of fuel they tried to save... especially if they regularly haul anywhere close to 80k lbs.

if you want better fuel savings.. then become a hyper-miler... slow down, drive by your boost gauge.. and learn to get 8+ mpg out of the truck that you have. that is the place to start.. and not by trying to modify your truck to compensate for less than optimal driving habits.
Yanks for your reply.
I always drive by my boost and pyro gauge and stay around 60-62 I drive like a old lady.. the other day I got passed by a prime truck....
The truck does run great and I thank you for that but I'm just not getting over 5.5 to 6 mpg.
I must be missing somthing someware.
replyreply
12-03-2022, (Subject: 6x2 conversion ) 
(12-03-2022 )earnies2 Wrote:  ...
Yanks for your reply.
I always drive by my boost and pyro gauge and stay around 60-62 I drive like a old lady.. the other day I got passed by a prime truck....
The truck does run great and I thank you for that but I'm just not getting over 5.5 to 6 mpg.
I must be missing somthing someware.

my thoughts ...

unless your doing a lot of stop and go and pushing the fuel pedal all the way to the floor in just about every gear, .. that or maybe of hauling 150k-lbs+.. only getting 6 mpg and driving only 60~ish, I would say that something is very wrong.

that or you have one of those square-nose fuel pigs of a truck that burps every time it passes a truck stop (W900, Pete 389, etc).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.