Cold starting in low temps
11-22-2022, (Subject: Cold starting in low temps ) 
Cold starting in low temps
When cold starting a truck in low temps like 0 degrees Fahrenheit to -20 degrees how long should I let the truck idle before moving? How long after starting the truck can I bump up the rpm?
replyreply
11-22-2022, (Subject: Cold starting in low temps ) 
RE: Cold starting in low temps
I start driving mine when the temp needle starts to move off of the dead stop. I drive it gently until its above 140-F.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Waterloo , Redland1
11-25-2022, (Subject: Cold starting in low temps ) 
I just moved to North Dakota and my brother who’s been here since 2011 says he just waits for the truck to air up and then drives away slowly till it gets up to temp even when it’s -20.
replyreply
(11-25-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  I just moved to North Dakota and my brother who’s been here since 2011 says he just waits for the truck to air up and then drives away slowly till it gets up to temp even when it’s -20.

sad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(11-25-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  I just moved to North Dakota and my brother who’s been here since 2011 says he just waits for the truck to air up and then drives away slowly till it gets up to temp even when it’s -20.

sad.

What kind of damage does taking off like that do?
replyreply
In a climate that cold you'd be well off to install a block heater.
During the winter months I always plug mine in...the needle sits at 110, and I also have a battery tender connected to the same plug to maintain the batteries. Cuts down on the cold morning surprises!
replyreply
(11-25-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  

sad.

What kind of damage does taking off like that do?

anything from gaskets getting leaky to parts snapping due to added cold-temp stresses.

replyreply
(11-25-2022 )ptlogan77 Wrote:  In a climate that cold you'd be well off to install a block heater.
During the winter months I always plug mine in...the needle sits at 110, and I also have a battery tender connected to the same plug to maintain the batteries. Cuts down on the cold morning surprises!

Any recommendations on a battery tender?
replyreply
I would look at marine battery tenders so it's more weather resistant.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.