Radiator conversion
05-02-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
Radiator conversion
16 w900L

I have a leak at one of the crimps on my radiator and if I'm going to replace it seems like the older style with bolt on ends are the way to go. It looks like I can get a 2.25 in core instead of the 2 in. So more cooling capability plus being able to replace pieces instead of having to do the entire radiator.

I was wondering if anybody else had went from crimp style to bolt style
replyreply
05-04-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
RE: Radiator conversion
Yes, I have replaced several of them.

The OEM uses crimp style because they make the header tanks out of plastic, have for quite a few years. They're cheaper to make, faster to assemble, and "lighter", but not by enough to be concerned about IMHO. They also use aluminum cores, again lighter, but also less efficient.
These are disposable radiators. I have never seen a crimped rad properly resealed or last more than 6 months.

If you can source a quality replacement, definitely go this route.

For the best you can get, what you are looking for is:
-Brass header tanks
-Copper core - hard to find, not cheap, FULLY serviceable
-Dimple core - if possible, the dimple in the core tubes creates turbulence in the coolant flow, increasing coolant to surface contact, resulting in better cooling

Not sure where you're located, but I'm in AB Canada and can recommend a place here if you're in the area.
Others may have recommendations from other locations as well.

Info FWIW
I had debris take out my rad about 7 years ago on a long way from home, and the only immediate available option was from Detroit Radiator. It did not fit my T800W without modification, and only lasted 2 years.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Rawze , Smiling lemon , Toolguy
I'm down in Tennessee, I don't have a major or leak but it is a drip coming, I have heard about the dimpling, how many cores are the most efficient? I have seen 5 cores and they seem to have the dimpling but I talked to a guy before(he may not know what he was talking about) That had a 5 core and when he put a 4 core in it, it cooled much better.
replyreply
I just replaced my Radiator last month went with this’ instead of plastic ends!
https://www.northernradiator.com/Product/239331
They’re customer service is good, Stealer wanted $1050 for OEM Plastic got this copper metal with new frame $1300

Nashville Location
https://www.northernradiator.com/locations
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Smiling lemon , RocketScott
05-05-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
(05-04-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I'm down in Tennessee, I don't have a major or leak but it is a drip coming, I have heard about the dimpling, how many cores are the most efficient? I have seen 5 cores and they seem to have the dimpling but I talked to a guy before(he may not know what he was talking about) That had a 5 core and when he put a 4 core in it, it cooled much better.

If you're at a small drip, you have some time to explore your options, but not a lot.
You may want to reduce the pressure in your cooling system if you need some time to source and plan this job.
Lower PSI rad cap or something. The surge tanks have a separate pressure cap on the overflow side now. If you ever have a pressure cap go weak, you may want to keep it as an emergency pressure reducer...or buy another one and remove the valve, yup I've done that :lol

The core count becomes a tradeoff.
The more cores you have, the smaller each tube is.
The smaller each tube is, the lower the coolant volume it can hold.
Lower volume means larger surface area contact for the volume of coolant, which is more cooling.
However, as you increase the number of cores, you also create more resistance to airflow through the core, which results in less heat radiation.
Cooling is all about heat exchange, you must have airflow or you don't have cooling.

I have never used anything more than a 3 core rad, with average GVW from 170-220k lbs. and nothing legal dimensions.
Worked fine moving anything across all 49 states, 10 provinces, and 3 territories...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , Smiling lemon
05-06-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
I did the pepper trick and seems to have sealed it, this has been a couple months now and I had been looking into the conversations but there's not a whole lot of information.

The site pd6 posted have a 3 inch with dimensions that similar to my current read.

I think what I'll start trying to find is the dimpling on a 3-4 core, but still a copper brass setup, that way next time this happens I can repair it
replyreply
While looking around Northern website I came across the following.          
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
(05-06-2023 )amermextrucker Wrote:  While looking around Northern website I came across the following.

I am surprised at how much stricter Ford is on a leaking cac
replyreply
(05-06-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I did the pepper trick and seems to have sealed it, this has been a couple months now and I had been looking into the conversations but there's not a whole lot of information.

The site pd6 posted have a 3 inch with dimensions that similar to my current read.

I think what I'll start trying to find is the dimpling on a 3-4 core, but still a copper brass setup, that way next time this happens I can repair it

I’ve literally seen mechanic drop a dozen raw eggs into coolant,Stop leak and drive truck into shop .
After that the CAT C-13 had 7 cracks on the head, it was infrared with a reman head . I would never do that, but some foks spend a dollar to dave a nickel.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.