Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking
10-20-2016, (Subject: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking ) 
Star Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking
How bad is the failure rate on these??

Pulled the turbo then exhaust mani off because of leaky exhaust manifold gaskets and every exhaust port had oil leaking through the guides and out into the turbo and dpf.

I will stick a picture or two with this post, seemed like the #2-#4 cyl had the worst signs of oil leaking through the valve seals, but every cyl has oil popping out.

How bad is this issue with the 2012/13 isx motors?

Sounds like it is a known issue but cummins will not acknowledged it is a issue on these motors, am I partially correct or wrong?

I cant wait to pull the head and see what other worse issues I will or should expect to find.

Any input will be much appreciated...

./uploads/201610/post_1653_1477014426_c0ecaa5eb4c4e16ed8e6e552e2afb5b7.jpg
./uploads/201610/post_1653_1477014503_ab9a5503ec7478bd5cadaac88a5c0bf8.jpg
Basically every cylinder exhaust port looks like in these two pics, was hard to get a good snap shot of what I see.
The turbo has a nice fresh oil coating to it obviously
replyreply
10-21-2016, (Subject: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking ) 
RE: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking
(10-20-2016 )joed2323 Wrote:  How bad is the failure rate on these??

Pulled the turbo then exhaust mani off because of leaky exhaust manifold gaskets and every exhaust port had oil leaking through the guides and out into the turbo and dpf.

I will stick a picture or two with this post, seemed like the #2-#4 cyl had the worst signs of oil leaking through the valve seals, but every cyl has oil popping out.

How bad is this issue with the 2012/13 isx motors?

Sounds like it is a known issue but cummins will not acknowledged it is a issue on these motors, am I partially correct or wrong?

I cant wait to pull the head and see what other worse issues I will or should expect to find.

Any input will be much appreciated...

Basically every cylinder exhaust port looks like in these two pics, was hard to get a good snap shot of what I see.
The turbo has a nice fresh oil coating to it obviously

extremely common - i do 2-3 of these every couple of weeks. Cummins has a valve stem seal update that solves 90% of the issues.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Sergiu
I've done a few of these and what I found was the old style seals would come loose from the valve guide letting oil seep down guide. While the seal would stay with the valve not sealing anything.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Sergiu
What are the valve guide seals made of?
Do you happen to know the valve guide outer, and valve diameter?
I have a supplier of Teflon seals that has a large variety, would they be a good replacement?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
10-22-2016, (Subject: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking ) 
(10-21-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  I've done a few of these and what I found was the old style seals would come loose from the valve guide letting oil seep down guide. While the seal would stay with the valve not sealing anything.

True. You did a good job on mine.
I have no measurable oil consumption since you did the seals.
replyreply
(10-21-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  What are the valve guide seals made of?
Do you happen to know the valve guide outer, and valve diameter?
I have a supplier of Teflon seals that has a large variety, would they be a good replacement?
Probably not.
The new updated valve seals are the way to go. Not that expensive for the parts
replyreply
(10-21-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  I've done a few of these and what I found was the old style seals would come loose from the valve guide letting oil seep down guide. While the seal would stay with the valve not sealing anything.

(10-22-2016 )overshot Wrote:  Probably not.
The new updated valve seals are the way to go. Not that expensive for the parts

Do you or Mr Hagg happen to have a part number for the "new" seals?
Or do you know when the update came into effect? My inframe/head was done in May '14.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
10-23-2016, (Subject: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking ) 
4376219 is the seal kit we use. It is a different design. Wereas the old ones was just that, I seal that slide down on top of the valve guide. And they would work there way off. The new ones are made with there own base plate so that the spring it self will hold the seal in place..
replyreply
10-23-2016, (Subject: Cm2250 valve guide seals leaking ) 
(10-23-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  4376219 is the seal kit we use. It is a different design. Wereas the old ones was just that, I seal that slide down on top of the valve guide. And they would work there way off. The new ones are made with there own base plate so that the spring it self will hold the seal in place..

Ok thanks Mr Hagg.
I never looked at the seals that closely last time I was in the head. So I guess I need to buy myself a valve spring compressor tool then huh?
Mine works great...when you can get to the head of the valve:huh:
What tool do you have or recommend Mr Hagg?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.