High EGT......HELP!!!!
11-28-2016, (Subject: High EGT......HELP!!!! ) 
RE: High EGT......HELP!!!!
If you didn't read through the link I posted, do it. I started the thread thinking I had high exhaust temp like you but after buying in site and driving, I learned it was actually doing a regen 10x a day. If stop and inturrupt it then get moving and it would start again throwing a hest light.

Mine ended up being excessive blowby cause by a bad rebuilt turbo I had just installed. excessive blowby cause constant regen.

It's a good thread where many of these guys chimed in.

I was in denial just like you my friend.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Light came on while I was just a couple miles from the dealer so I ran by there to see what the code was, no HEGT code, but a CC pressure sensor code.(fault code 0555) I just replaced the CC filter and sensor about 15,000 miles ago. It's doing a regen about every 6-10 hours.
replyreply
if your cc filter is needing replacing so much you either have too much oil blowing by the rings so maybe a broken ring, too much blowby in general or a rubbed through wire on the crankcase sensor pigtail. I had to replace mine.

You can upgrade to a zero maintenance crankcase filter that cummins offers now.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Freddieg, everyone here has suffered through Cummins problems, some more than others. These emission systems are so tightly integrated (programing) into engine operation, you REALLY have to drill into them. When I came onboard, Rawze was the only one I'd found that was giving straight dope on figuring out how to deal with a monster and cut through the BS and explain WHY.

Dealers are not your friend! "Technicians" work through a diagnostic tree that is more suited for theory and not the real world. Instead of starting with the cheapest, simplest solutions they start by throwing very expensive parts at the problem without getting to the root cause, as you have found out. Water under the bridge now, at least you have the new parts. Let's not forget about the labor rate that compounds the pain.

The first problem is trying to feed an engine it's own waste. All that soot pumped back into the engine starts destroying it, day one. Soot, carbon, is abrasive. Think of it as fine coal slag.
It's by design thanks to the numbnuts in the EPA and cuts engine life in HALF.

The fact that they don't have a bypass filter on them from the factory should give anyone a clear picture of the road they're on. Buyers willingly accept idiot lights in place of gauges and piss poor onboard diagnostics based on empty promises of more fuel economy in an age of sophisticated super fast, cheap, micro computers. That smart phone in everyone's hand is more than capable of doing the job, unfortunately most people are fixated on twitter or facebook. Companies sell very expensive computer controlled engines and baffle everyone with BS that they are the only ones that can fix them without countless hours of training and expensive proprietary software. It's your truck, not a profit stream for their company!

You never said how many miles are on the truck, how many hours on the engine, how long you've owned it how often it has been serviced. All important pieces of information for anyone trying to help.
You very well could have broken or carbon packed rings but until you take the right steps in diagnosing the real problem it's all guessing and the dealer has done more than their share of that!
Bottom line is whether ISB, ISC, ISM or ISX they are a good engine when you cut through the crap and can be made to run efficient, reliable and profitable.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(11-28-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Freddieg, everyone here has suffered through Cummins problems, some more than others. These emission systems are so tightly integrated (programing) into engine operation, you REALLY have to drill into them. When I came onboard, Rawze was the only one I'd found that was giving straight dope on figuring out how to deal with a monster and cut through the BS and explain WHY.

Dealers are not your friend! "Technicians" work through a diagnostic tree that is more suited for theory and not the real world. Instead of starting with the cheapest, simplest solutions they start by throwing very expensive parts at the problem without getting to the root cause, as you have found out. Water under the bridge now, at least you have the new parts. Let's not forget about the labor rate that compounds the pain.

The first problem is trying to feed an engine it's own waste. All that soot pumped back into the engine starts destroying it, day one. Soot, carbon, is abrasive. Think of it as fine coal slag.
It's by design thanks to the numbnuts in the EPA and cuts engine life in HALF.

The fact that they don't have a bypass filter on them from the factory should give anyone a clear picture of the road they're on. Buyers willingly accept idiot lights in place of gauges and piss poor onboard diagnostics based on empty promises of more fuel economy in an age of sophisticated super fast, cheap, micro computers. That smart phone in everyone's hand is more than capable of doing the job, unfortunately most people are fixated on twitter or facebook. Companies sell very expensive computer controlled engines and baffle everyone with BS that they are the only ones that can fix them without countless hours of training and expensive proprietary software. It's your truck, not a profit stream for their company!

You never said how many miles are on the truck, how many hours on the engine, how long you've owned it how often it has been serviced. All important pieces of information for anyone trying to help.
You very well could have broken or carbon packed rings but until you take the right steps in diagnosing the real problem it's all guessing and the dealer has done more than their share of that!
Bottom line is whether ISB, ISC, ISM or ISX they are a good engine when you cut through the crap and can be made to run efficient, reliable and profitable.

Thanks for the advice and I completely understand what you are saying here and I appreciate the words......2009 ISB 6.7 T300 rollback, 215,500 miles, 7,624 engine hours, a so called friend new I was looking for a 26,000 lb rollback so he told me to pay to get it out of the shop(new turbo, DOC cleaned, aftermarket DPF $9,000+)...take over payments and I can have this truck and that was April 21, 2016. Even though I make a few dollars with it.....it is becoming more of a headache than anything. Thank you

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201611/post_2414_1480377852_c3cda14605b5eb43723cb7a9f1b63b5e.jpg
replyreply
11-29-2016, (Subject: High EGT......HELP!!!! ) 
That's a nice looking rig. The small trucks these days come wth big truck price tags.
At 215,000 miles÷ 7624 hours gives you a lifetime average of 28.2 mph.
Those are the the same numbers I see running NYC area, lots of idle time sitting in traffic.
Very hard on the emissions system so periodically doing a forced regen can help keep the filter from plugging.
Oil takes a beating under those conditions so you might consider going to an hour interval change instead of mileage and getting a bypass filter on it asap.

You say aftermarket DPF, that could be a source of problems too. Did they do a reset in aftertreatment maintenence when it was installed? Just thinking out loud.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(11-29-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  That's a nice looking rig. The small trucks these days come wth big truck price tags.
At 215,000 miles÷ 7624 hours gives you a lifetime average of 28.2 mph.
Those are the the same numbers I see running NYC area, lots of idle time sitting in traffic.
Very hard on the emissions system so periodically doing a forced regen can help keep the filter from plugging.
Oil takes a beating under those conditions so you might consider going to an hour interval change instead of mileage and getting a bypass filter on it asap.

You say aftermarket DPF, that could be a source of problems too. Did they do a reset in aftertreatment maintenence when it was installed? Just thinking out loud.

Thank you.....I change the oil every 7,500 miles....I don't want to speak to soon, but I ran the truck all day (about 300 miles, 6 hrs.) With the crankcase ventilation tube disconnected, never shut it down, it was either running down the road or idling, and not the first CEL. Is it possible the tube is stopped up? I plan on driving it a few days to see what happens. And the code was for crankcase pressure and I just changed the filter and sensor 15,000 miles ago. ....thank you for the help
replyreply
Yes it is possible for the crankcase ventilation tube to get plugged or restricted.
If you have access to compressed air, blow the tube out and see if anything comes out.
Not always, but occasionally it is the simplest of things that can cause the most aggravation diagnosing.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(11-29-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Yes it is possible for the crankcase ventilation tube to get plugged or restricted.
If you have access to compressed air, blow the tube out and see if anything comes out.
Not always, but occasionally it is the simplest of things that can cause the most aggravation diagnosing.

Thank you.....I will try blowing it out tomorrow. ...should I try blowing out the piece going into the block? Hammerhead are you in Virginia? ....thank you
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.