My c15 rebuild
02-01-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
RE: My c15 rebuild
(02-01-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  I have heard stories of people claiming their Cat platinum kit contained resurfaced liners and cleaned up pistons. If true, Brock has got the right idea. $11,200 for a platinum kit with the only new parts being the head, rings and bearings is insane. Re-honed liners, resized rods with cleaned up pistons? How much could that cost?

The last platinum kit I got had 3 used liners that looked like a hone had just been run through. I took the whole kit to the machine shop. I will use IPD parts from here on out with my Cat rebuilds
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
(02-01-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Front structure is off, deck is getting cleaned off. Got all my parts in.... went with the federal mogul FP diesel cylinder kits, cat everything else including head and injectors.

Here's a pic of the new piston

Went with the FP diesel cause they are new rather than reman and have a ceramic coating which I really like.

Cylinders going in today!

I've been havin the pistons cut in my high compression engines used in more heavy haul (100k+lbs) applications, cat and cummins. Just for extra insurance. I feel it helps some with heat and cylinder pressure, helping head gaskets. Haven't had any negative effects yet....

if u are cutting your pistons to reduce compression , depending how much your taking off , u should have your whole rotating assembly re balanced , u could also just reduce your boost
cylinder presser is the key , higher compression less boost and vice versa , to a point that is

I understand what your saying, but Cat is not con concerned with parts being balanced at all. If you have ever weighed the part in a reman kit, they are soo far out its pathetic. One benefit of cutting the pistons is that they are always closer in weight, when done they are within an ounce of each other. I've had cat pistons be 8-12 ounces off from each other out of the box. When volume is measured it can cause compression to be a point to 2 points off. I have not had these issues with cummins though. The pistons are new and generally very close.

could u explain your process of measuring volume ? do u check top of piston and bottom of bowl to wrist pin center line ?
replyreply
Same way you would the combustion chamber in a gas cylinder head. Just now you do it to the piston
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAr4DUqEt4
replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Brock Wrote:  The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago. Truck has mandate disabled and a tune out of spec Quebec.

Problem I see.... Truck has 336 gears on 24.5 rubber so at 65mph it's turning 1250rpm. I do that so I can run a gear down in direct and cruisearound 1450rpm. Problem is my driver always runs top gear, I know he does and I've told him not to.I only know cause he's told other drivers when they were asking how he got such good mileage.

I've now taken this truck back as my own and hired a driver who takes direction. I'm swapping my 24.5 with the 22.5 from my prostar as well to bring my direct to 1500rpm and drop my prostar from 1600 closet to 1500.

If this is a 13 or 18 speed,you do know that "one gear down" is still overdrive and not direct,right? 2 down is direct,1 down is .86 over,top is .73
replyreply
02-02-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
(02-01-2017 )justdoug Wrote:  
(01-19-2017 )Brock Wrote:  The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago. Truck has mandate disabled and a tune out of spec Quebec.

Problem I see.... Truck has 336 gears on 24.5 rubber so at 65mph it's turning 1250rpm. I do that so I can run a gear down in direct and cruisearound 1450rpm. Problem is my driver always runs top gear, I know he does and I've told him not to.I only know cause he's told other drivers when they were asking how he got such good mileage.

I've now taken this truck back as my own and hired a driver who takes direction. I'm swapping my 24.5 with the 22.5 from my prostar as well to bring my direct to 1500rpm and drop my prostar from 1600 closet to 1500.

If this is a 13 or 18 speed,you do know that "one gear down" is still overdrive and not direct,right? 2 down is direct,1 down is .86 over,top is .73

18 speed. Splitter in the back position in any gear is called direct, Splitter in forward position in any gear is a overdrive gear. You are referring to the direct that the guys on the ttr forum talk about that gets you as close to the 1 to 1 ratio.

17 is direct. Eaton fuller says never switch the range selector to the low position while in a overdrive gear, that confirms what I say.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
There are double overdrives. It all depends on the model of the transmission. I had a double overdrive 13 and direct was 11th. They make single overdrives but they're hard to find.
replyreply
(02-01-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Same way you would the combustion chamber in a gas cylinder head. Just now you do it to the piston
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAr4DUqEt4

i know how i do it , i was just curious how u did it . so basically your just matching the cc of each bowl . are u checking centerl ine distance of wrist pin to top of piston , or bowl configuration as all that will affect compression ratio ,also changing top of piston hight changes the squish area between the head , also even though the cc of the bowl is off one piston to the other as a quick check u need to keep in mind bowl depth and bowl diameter .
of course the only real way to know is to put the pistons on a cmm and have them checked
and go from there , and maybe u end up having to re machine the bowl and top to get everything equal in relation to wrist pin center line then u would have uniformity , just my 2 cents if was my engine and i wanted to be nats on

ps the top of piston to top of first compression ring will affect compression a tad
replyreply

Liners and pistons are in place, removing a bunch of the unneeded junk off the sides of the motor, cleaning up and then it's time to start getting this bad boy together!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
its getting closer! do i get to see it soon?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.