Changing clutch brakes.
03-05-2017, (Subject: Changing clutch brakes. ) 
Changing clutch brakes.
Does anybody know of another way to change clutch brakes without removing the transmission? I used the oxygen acetylene torch so you can imagine how pleasant that was. Lol
I couldn't use the air chisel on this one because the little knubs that keep it from spinning were sheared off.
I hope there is an easier way of doing this. Lol
replyreply
RE: Changing clutch brakes.
(03-05-2017 )indian_richard Wrote:  Does anybody know of another way to change clutch brakes without removing the transmission? I used the oxygen acetylene torch so you can imagine how pleasant that was. Lol
I couldn't use the air chisel on this one because the little knubs that keep it from spinning were sheared off.

-Air hammer with a chisel tool
-Reciprocating saw
-Roto tool. Think dentist drill, that the rotating tool is driven via a long umbilical with the motor a good two feet away. Not a common tool, I got it to port heads and use it occaisionally for oddball jobs such as this. Kinda like a dremel.
-Cutting torch and good leather protective gear so you don't get burned
This is the order of preference for me, I will never again install a clutch brake that is not a "two piece" to facilitate simpler replacement while the clutch & tranny are in place.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard , Waterloo , Sergiu
(03-05-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 )indian_richard Wrote:  Does anybody know of another way to change clutch brakes without removing the transmission? I used the oxygen acetylene torch so you can imagine how pleasant that was. Lol

-Air hammer with a chisel tool
-Reciprocating saw
-Roto tool. Think dentist drill, that the rotating tool is driven via a long umbilical with the motor a good two feet away. Not a common tool, I got it to port heads and use it occaisionally for oddball jobs such as this. Kinda like a dremel.
-Cutting torch and good leather protective gear so you don't get burned
This is the order of preference for me, I will never again install a clutch brake that is not a "two piece" to facilitate simpler replacement while the clutch & tranny are in place.
Those are a few good alternatives. I have another clutch brake I need to change, so now I have a few more options before I get out the torch. Thnx
Yeah I replaced this clutch brake with a Babcock two piece. Hopefully I won't have to replace it. Lol
replyreply
I've used torch, only suggest it if your the type that says "f" it and geterdone.

Otherwise do it the chisel way

I've had the tabs bust off before. If you can wedge something up in their to get it to quit spinning it helps. Otherwise once you start chiselling the crap out of it it will quit spinning as easy.

I also suggest getting atleast 3-4 chisels sharpened at once so you don't have to get out from under the truck so many times to resharpen the chisels...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , indian_richard , Sergiu , Waterloo
03-06-2017, (Subject: Changing clutch brakes. ) 
I always used an air chisel. I always make sure I get a two piece brake, every time I need one
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard
Just don't forget to grease your clutch brake. If you don't believe me check with Eaton.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Cut a 1/5 of the disc and force it in front of the bad clutch brake
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.