oil question. front suspension question
03-07-2016, (Subject: oil question. front suspension question ) 
oil question. front suspension question
How hard is it to change shackle pins and bushings on a 09 pete.
Along with that. I need to know exactly what oil cummins suggests for isx. I am attempting to baby this a bit. Trying to get $ so can have cam replaced, cause #6 is worn. Figuring if run what cummins wants. Might pull this off. I presently use mobile delvac. Going to drop back change interval a bit also.
replyreply
03-08-2016, (Subject: oil question. front suspension question ) 
RE: oil question. front suspension question
(03-07-2016 )scott Wrote:  How hard is it to change shackle pins and bushings on a 09 pete.
Along with that. I need to know exactly what oil cummins suggests for isx. I am attempting to baby this a bit. Trying to get $ so can have cam replaced, cause #6 is worn. Figuring if run what cummins wants. Might pull this off. I presently use mobile delvac. Going to drop back change interval a bit also.

I suggest reading Rawze's book by following the link at the top of the page. I use Rotella, and I'm pretty sure you'll see that most everyone on this forum runs Rotella in their ISX. An Amsoil bypass filter will help get your soot levels down. An overhead adjustment is a good idea too. A perfect adjustment, not some half a$$ dealership overhead. Can't help you with the shackle pins and bushings, never done those personally.
replyreply
Why don't you replace the cam yourself, like i did. It's not difficult to do. In the meantime, i would suggest adding some gear oil, to the engine.
replyreply
I have a failing cam also, but I am going to do this repair with long term success in mind. Cost more now, but worth it.
Here is where it started for me
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=43
Will cost 7-9k in parts alone depending on how the other cam is when we pull the head off and cams out.

Replace head and at least the Valve Cam and damaged rockers
Add pre-oiler pump so there never should be a dry start again
Add Bypass Oil Filter to keep soot level low

While I drive it damaged saving $ for repair, I am keeping the engine RPM's low when I keep boost low = going slower
Get out of gear as much as possible

Fix it asap. Imagine 1300rpm is 1300 times a minute that damaged cam is scraping the rocker roller ready to throw steel daggers at your bearings.

I had thought about putting Neodymium Magnets near the damaged cam lobe so it could magnetically catch the flying steel shrapnel, but it might move and cause way more damage, so I am just driving it slowly and NO idling(but dont accelerate hard on a cold engine, you could spin a bearing)
replyreply
Always ask those shops to take a pic of your damaged part, even offer your camera phone if they dont have a camera handy. Mega Fleets almost always ask for pics, and they get them, you should too!
replyreply
I reading Rawze book. Alot of info. To learn from. I do alot of stuff myself. Which really helps know the condition of my truck.
I had the overhead done. Didn't take to peterbilt but to a fair, trusted cummins shop. I knew there was something going on. Just at the time didn't have the tools/skillet to do it myself. They did give me detailed reports. So now I know which way to head. Obviously, I gotta do cam first. If it doesn't run. There's not much sense in fixing spring shackles etc. I do my own e.g.r. clean outs, change my own valve breather filters etc. Rawze has taught me alot via his videos. Wish I could get truck to him and go through few things. The learning experience would be awesome. Thanks for replies. Old cummins got 723,000 miles. When cam done will help alot, I am sure.
replyreply
I made an article on the causes of excess/premature cam follower & lobe wear. it mostly comes from clogged cross-drillings and passages on these egr engines due to soot buildup.

I know lots of guys that have a million on their cam lobes and they do not look like that. It is because they keep their oil clean and soot free as much as possible.

My own truck has 960,000 miles on it and my cams look great.

Here is more info.. The excess cam wear mystery revealed.

-----

On my own truck, I don't do anything special, I just keep my oil clean as it can be by keeping any soot-producing or fuel mileage problems at bay, changing the oil when it gets a bit dirty, before deposits can build up, and + bypass filter.

Here is what I recommend for oil change interval.. It is at the bottom of this atricle.

ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks I actually in line now to get oil changed. Can remember millege I changed engine air filter or crank breather filter. So, common sense prevails. Change them
replyreply
Here's a additional question. I had oil changed. Went almost 20,000 mile. After the initial start up. Recheck in oil. It already is turning black. I assume it means my cummins is dirty. I am gonna change oil again at 15,000. Obviously bypass filter would help. Am I correct that there's alot of dirt etc. Everytime I change oil it does it. Shops just say it's normal.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.