ISX smoking & sneezing
07-03-2017, (Subject: ISX smoking & sneezing ) 
RE: ISX smoking & sneezing
First I want to say thanks hhow55 I will try to get in touch with him. Now rawze you had your rant my turn. To start with before you start disrespecting someone or trying to scold someone like a child maybe you should have a little respect and think maybe there are some of us out here been doing this job for as long or longer than you have. If you remember when I had to fill out the request to even be a part of this forum I said I have a degree in diesel engineering and fluid power. That being said I have learned first hand from real experience with these mandated trucks what works and what doesn't to get better performance and fuel mpg and what maintanence needs to be done on regular basis. That is why I asked if you really paid attention to my last post I asked how to get in touch with unilevers to have someone who is proficient in the computer on these trucks accually see what is wrong with it. My personal experience with the mandate is it's a joke and I never said I was going to take turbo off just that they are junk. Only reason why I say this is because I have owned 2 trucks built exactly the same both had same motor trans gears and tire size same vgt turbo and both doing same job. Only difference was newer truck had extra set of back wheels. Older one only got 13mpg new. I picked up a fuel preasure booster chip nd installed it and got hand calculated 6mpg gain. Only problem was I had to have a port put in the turbo because every 30000 miles I had to have the carbon flushed out of the regen system. 5 years newer truck and remember built exactly the same doing the same job only got 9mpg new put same chip on it and got same results as older truck 6mpg gain. Then second time I had to have system flushed I took all the garbage off but left turbo because of engine break needing it to function. And gained another 3mpg. Now that being said I really dont think that it is unreasonable to think that an as you put it ugly dinosaur shou get better mpg than 5mpg with cruse set at 67mph bobtail with a tail wind. And yes I have a specialty type.of job that allows me to have such a nice ride. But for you to so erragantly think that the performance of a big nose truck should be any different than what you are getting with your slope nose is judgmental and maybe you should look at the radiator in yours compared to a big nose they are about the same size. And just because the truck is speced from factory to do triple digits as this one is doesn't mean that it is being driven that way.i joined this forum to get some help with fixing the problems that the previous owner created by bad tuning and poor maintanence not to be disrespected. You don't like my choice of truck that is your personal opinion. I dont care for a slope nose but I don't call those owners iDIOTS but guess im above that. I am willing to help them with a problem though. We are all out here doing a job some get to go home and work on their junk under a tree every week and some stay out for months at a time then go home for a month and work on their trucks in their shops with what they have learned from places like this. Sometthing you might want to look at is the safe driving practice of speed limiters and tire blow outs put out by michelin tires for the ATA which it sounds like you are a fan of in the meantime I will keep looking forway to get better performance and fuel mpg. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I look forward to seeing more technical information on here. Thats all I have to say. Andd dan sorry for taking over your question hope you are able to get your truck problems fixed.
replyreply
07-03-2017, (Subject: ISX smoking & sneezing ) 
(04-23-2017 )Dan Wrote:  Hi everyone I'm new here but find it very educational. Anyways I'm from Australia WA, were running a western star with a isx was at 620 when it was on triples up north now we do only logs & have derated him I'm sure to 515 or 500 still goes hard. Performance has been erratic lately some days it pulls like a trooper others well? Should of stayed in bed. It's started to make a prounced whistle I think from the air intakes at idle, it's also sneezing coughing or hiccuping at times right were u need it at say 1500 on a real hard pull it I'll sneeze & whammy it's all over you have to quickly find 1st & then into it. It's also smoking a lot especially when ur going easy on the pedal then u get into it & look in mirrors & holy cow I'm rolling coal so to speak. It's a 2007 EGR only and gross were at 83.5ton so not overly heavy fuel has sat steady on average 1.3km per litre regardless so when it was up north and grossing 170ton & set at 620 in 45degree heat it was getting same fuel????? Dunno how they figure that but it's true we've had zero fuel savings derating him, but saved squillons on tyres & who knows maybe even the engine will live longer. It's got 630.000km. I'm thinking EGR valve may be sticking? It's going to cummins here in bunbury today just to get computer hooked up any thoughts on directions I should go ourselves regarding this a lot of people are saying it's fuel cause it's black smoke but reading on this site I'm not 100%sure. Anyways sorry
Maybe the delta-p sensor
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , hhow55 , Rawze
07-04-2017, (Subject: ISX smoking & sneezing ) 
(07-03-2017 )lonewolf Wrote:  First I want to say thanks hhow55 I will try to get in touch with him. Now rawze you had your rant my turn.

The more years of trucking someone has behind them seems like the more brainwashed they become. ... booster chip this and tipple digit that ... Take that way of thinking BACK TO TTR WHERE IT BELONGS!

I will always hate those square nose POS trucks and people going 70+ mph in them... It is my own protest against big oil and those who are hell bent on funding them.

I have been saying that same thing to EVERY SINGLE PERSON who comes to my forum and says they drive that kind of truck at those speeds for many years now. Don't feel singled out, I feel that way about all of them.

Sooner or later , I will point out my opinions towards those types of trucks and and what I think to everyone who goes around and says they drive them fast.

Here is another fine example posted a while back that i have been repeating on my forum for a few years now ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid13953

I am sure if someone dug through my forum long enough, they would find the same thing a dozen more times and a dozen more replies of pissed off people because I said it. Does it mean I dislike any of them?-- Hell no, but I am still going to point it out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thats ok rawze I see how it is you can rant and call people names but if they respond and you dont like it you just eliminate the comment this way people only see what you have to say. Who is acting like a little kid and crying now. Stomp your feet and stand in the corner. I guess I will have to find my info else where. I thought that this was a place to share thoughts and answers to problems that we all might have. Not a place for you to think you know better than anyone else and they are just as you said idiots.im sorry you think so narrow minded and that you just live with what you have. From an engineering stand point we take what we have and try to improve on it not just except it. Thanks for your time have a good holiday weekend.
replyreply
(07-04-2017 )lonewolf Wrote:  Thats ok rawze I see how it is you can rant and call people names but if they respond and you dont like it you just eliminate the comment this way people only see what you have to say. Who is acting like a little kid and crying now. Stomp your feet and stand in the corner. I guess I will have to find my info else where. I thought that this was a place to share thoughts and answers to problems that we all might have. Not a place for you to think you know better than anyone else and they are just as you said idiots.im sorry you think so narrow minded and that you just live with what you have. From an engineering stand point we take what we have and try to improve on it not just except it. Thanks for your time have a good holiday weekend.

Normally I would not reply to such banter to prevent its perpetuation, but I would like to address a couple things said here...

I don't eliminate/delete the comments that other people make, especially if they do not agree with me. I encourage alternate opinion especially if it has good merit. My opinions are sometimes strong and I will sometimes re-iterate them to let others know that I am not going to bend my view on something, but I don't remove what others say unless what they post is something completely vulger, rude, and meaningless, like someone resorting to outright insults, threats, and/or name calling.

- I do ban/remove those who are only here to troll my forum though for the sake of perpetual arguments. There are people that come here just for that purpose just to tout their own glory, and I don't allow it.

There will always be people who do not agree with what I say, no one knows everything about everything, especially me. I think I have only had to outright delete someones posts once about a year ago. They were trolling the forum terribly just for the sake of pure argument no matter what anyone said and I had several complaints against them. They also finally resorted to insulting people with "your mama" this and "F$$ you di$khead" that before I finally said enough was enough. It is quite rare indeed for someones posts to get outright deleted, and even when they do, I always allow the quotes from what they regionally said in the replies that others made so it is kept in proper context.

Even if someone is trolling (trolling = disagreeing with others just to disagree and perpetuate arguments endlessly), I allow it if it has decent positive merit and will warn them that is what they are doing before resorting to taking action. Even then, I will usually not delete what they say unless it has resorted into an outright insult match, or it is misleading information meant to confuse people or advertise their trolling cause.

I will not stand for trolling and arguing just for the sake of disagreement, not one bit.

As far as "idiots" go, I am the idiot in that right lane everyone hates going 55 mph in an 80-mph zone out west in Wyoming and Nevada. Been driving like that for many years and have never had an issue with it. I get honked at, cursed at, and the carrier called that we are signed onto almost on a daily basis, but it is NOT going to make me change how I drive or make me speed up. Although the truck we drive seems agile at times, 18-wheelers are big, heavy, dangerous pieces of equipment. I am one of those very few who would welcome trucks having to slow down both for safety and for saving fuel and resources.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Ok. Now that being said and the ranting and ego stroking is done can we get back to the problem at hand. I'm not the a$$hle honking and calling you names. Personally I don't care what kind of truck you or anyone else drives.or what speed they go. As long as it doesn't create a dangerous situation for myself and those around me. I also think blasting down the highway is rediculius. But creating a road hazard is also rediculius. I was just looking for an answer to the question of what could be causing the sneezing in the truck. I've already done your egr tune up didn't find anything and didn't change anything. I've already changed ALL of the sensors pretty pricey I might add. Didn't change anything. Had new head put on because of fuel in antifreeze found when changing sensors. Motor and computer all set to factory spec as im trying to find what could have been done by previous owner to cause all the problems. Then get it to hopefully someone on here to properly tune it so that it CAN be more efficient. Im not looking for 20mpg or monster hp and torque. Im looking for a reasonable efficency and reasonable performance. And considering that I am mostly empty, bobtail, or may have 60000lb gross. I dont care what kind of truck you drive . If driven properly it should be able to get better than 5mpg bobtail at 68mph when setup properly and tuned properly. I've reached out to a tuner on here that I believe is in my area. To be able to discuss what this truck is expected to do and proper setup but haven't heard back from him yet. Thats why I was wondering what to look for next.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.