Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
05-10-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
In-Frame is COMPLETE!
The truck, 2008 ProStar, 600 HP CM871, 18 spd, tri axle...

I just got her home, and of course it is raining!

She runs out nice, better than a new truck, LOL!

No vibrations out of this motor, she just purrs like fine Swiss watch, steady eddy... Almost sounds like a gasser. Seriously, there is no diesel sound out of this motor or associated vibrations. I cannot get over, KNOCK ON WOOD, how good the motor sounds, and does not sound.

The air compressor knock, what KNOCK! All gone!

Oil pressure, a rock solid 37 psi, 30 at idle. Previously 32-33 and 20-22, or lower...

The total bill came to $39,114.00

Damn that was ALLOT! But! This was much more than a standard in frame, everything except for a few items were replaced and all systems were gone through, including the transmission and a new clutch replacement and all of the exterior tranny stuff. Most all components are now NEW, not reman, and come with the full warranty, including parts and labor. And yes, the mandate is no longer there.

It has been darn near 3 months since this truck went down... I fiddle farted around with it for a good week rebuilding my Tri-Pac when the head gasket on the ISX blew it apart with the pressure. Then I screwed around in a panic when I got all of that together and refilled the coolant in the truck and had coolant shooting a foot or two in the air!

What to do? Throw a reman in? Rebuild? A used motor install? Talk about nerve racking. I decided on doing the in-frame, it was the cheapest route to go and I could do so much more to the truck that needed to be taken care of.

Try and find a shop to do an in-frame at the drop of a hat, LOL! That was another two three weeks... I interviewed 4 shops, and decided on the local International dealer, as I have known these guys for awhile. All went well, until the parts guy screwed up on my EIN and the new Turbo... That had to be changed out, the mechanic via Mark the service writer called me on that one to get down there and fix this. Took a few days, but the correct Turbo was installed.

I went to pick it up this past Friday... I went to move the truck to a nice concrete pad where I could give it a once over... I didn't get a foot and I hear this grinding metal to metal sound! It was the damn clutch! It was installed improperly by the jackass parts changer they put on it. The mechanic that rebuilt the motor pulled the tranny, replaced every new part they installed with more new stuff and did it right, all is good and the truck is now home!

What a ride!

And many many thanks to you guys that have helped me through this and have put up with me. ;-)

I would not wish this on anyone, not even my ex-wife. Damn Cummins and the EPA. And YES, I AM HAVING A FEW BEERS!
replyreply
RE: In-Frame is COMPLETE!
WOW! about time you got back to work... its really good to hear that you got her up and running..
now its time to stop spendin and makin some big $$$ to get you back in the black...sad to say it will take awhile as rates kind of suck..but things change :)
now drive her like you stole it for a bit and get it broke in..:)
replyreply
YES on getting back to work! I wish it were not raining... I want to really go over this thing with a fine tooth comb before I take her out... Will do that tomorrow and load her up! Should be rolling on Thursday! YEEEEHAWWWWWW!
replyreply
Damn!!!!! That's a lot of money.
Good luck!!!!
replyreply
Good luck, you done well. All I got for that much was a motor pretty well.
replyreply
Congrats, Im glad you can finally get back on the road and enjoys some tunes while cruising in the springtime.
replyreply
I haven't priced one in awhile but can't you get a cummins reman for around 25k with a 3 year 300000 mile warranty?
replyreply
(05-10-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  I haven't priced one in awhile but can't you get a cummins reman for around 25k with a 3 year 300000 mile warranty?

Prices on everything went up a few months ago.. This time last year I paid 33,900CAD....I believe they were 28k in the States at the same time. This price is AFTER you bring in the core and wait a couple weeks for Cummins to send you a cheque. I needed 58k up front... So whatever you do don't ever destroy your block loll you will pay dearly for it
replyreply
05-11-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
(05-10-2016 )bazdan902 Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 )ahm700 Wrote:  I haven't priced one in awhile but can't you get a cummins reman for around 25k with a 3 year 300000 mile warranty?

Prices on everything went up a few months ago.. This time last year I paid 33,900CAD....I believe they were 28k in the States at the same time. This price is AFTER you bring in the core and wait a couple weeks for Cummins to send you a cheque. I needed 58k up front... So whatever you do don't ever destroy your block loll you will pay dearly for it

I think I will start buying some tools and parts over the next couple years and do it myself. I don't think I like my truck that much.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.