Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
03-17-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
How much more $ does a New head cost than a reman head?
replyreply
(03-17-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  How much more $ does a New head cost than a reman head?

$400
replyreply
$400 is cheap insurance
replyreply
(03-17-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  $400 is cheap insurance

Just dropped her off... Yes, Cheap insurance. One nice thing, the owner of the International dealer came out to see my truck, I showed him around, told him about the @m*m^2 and explained how WE do it... He then went in and grabbed the mechanic that will be working on it, old hand, certified Cummins, been there for years, and tells him come look at this truck...

We all talk, mechanic looks at truck, hood up, turns to me and grabs my hand... Tells me it will be a pleasure to work on my truck. Told me when he is finished, I will have a million mile truck. I was shaking when I handed my keys over, I left feeling much better, and thinking it was really nice that I will get a full Cummins warranty from the dealership, @m*m^2 or not.

Fingers crossed, and was invited back to check up on things.

Oh, why all the excitement? You can eat off of my motor and surrounding area, the owner of the dealership was very impressed and started telling me horror stories, LOL! My Baby is as clean as a whistle, and I thought the mechanic was going to cry! The undercarriage is just as nice, I was just under there. What would and should one expect from a guy that hangs out at Rawze.com? ;-)
replyreply
(03-17-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  

Just dropped her off... Yes, Cheap insurance. One nice thing, the owner of the International dealer came out to see my truck, I showed him around, told him about the @m*m^2 and explained how WE do it... He then went in and grabbed the mechanic that will be working on it, old hand, certified Cummins, been there for years, and tells him come look at this truck...

We all talk, mechanic looks at truck, hood up, turns to me and grabs my hand... Tells me it will be a pleasure to work on my truck. Told me when he is finished, I will have a million mile truck. I was shaking when I handed my keys over, I left feeling much better, and thinking it was really nice that I will get a full Cummins warranty from the dealership, @m*m^2 or not.

Oh, why all the excitement? You can eat off of my motor and surrounding area, the owner of the dealership was very impressed and started telling me horror stories, LOL! My Baby is as clean as a whistle, and I thought the mechanic was going to cry! The undercarriage is just as nice, I was just under there. What would and should one expect from a guy that hangs out at Rawze.com? ;-)

New Zeland cummins upholds warranties on @m*m^2 engines too as long as oil and coolant shutdowns are left in place.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-17-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-17-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  

New Zeland cummins upholds warranties on @m*m^2 engines too as long as oil and coolant shutdowns are left in place.

I had the owner of the dealership out there, and told him what little I know about you know... Rawze, he was God Damned IMPRESSED with YOUR work! He told me that he has never seen a you know like what you have accomplished. He went out there to inspect my motor wanting to look for plates, goofy turbo, missing EGR cooler, etc... He says he has seen them all... I explained how we do this in our driveways, and he was floored! I showed him the EGT temp sensor, told them it has never went over 550* F... Told them how the Turbo is set in regards to boost... EGR is still doing its thing, sensors are doing there thing, the plug in the venturi, the EGR valve, etc... He was REALLY impressed! Then he started telling me about the abortions that have come through his shop...

That is when he went and grabbed the mechanic... We went all through it again, along with some of what Unilevers told me to tell the mechanic in regards to the cam set up with the wedges... The mechanic was all in! That is when he grabbed my hand and said he will give me back a million mile truck!

Rawze, all I can say is thank you for doing what you do, and having the sauce to do it! I will never be able to repay you. Yes, I am dropping a chunk of change for the in frame, monies that I had to borrow from family... But if not for you and your website, I would be BANKRUPT and living under a bridge somewhere in Detroit.

Thanks man! ;-)
replyreply
03-18-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
I guess the "custom tune" wasn't enough to save the old gal! ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, you will know what you have and what to expect and won't be pumping 6 lbs. of soot through it!

Couple of thoughts, if you're going to have the tranny out, do the rear bell housing gasket! As soon as you get everything back together it will start leaking.
Good time to do the Hi-Lo range valve if you haven't done it already, replace all clutch linkage and heim joints, trans cooler, lines. Much easier to do when everything is on the ground. I know you have to be careful not to build up the bill but if you have to do it in the next year you'll be kicking yourself besides doing the extra labour!
Instead of replacing the compressor, just do the head. Allot cheaper and that's what fails.

I'm assuming all new liners. Double check measurements on liner protrusion and torquing with the experts here.

You have an old hand doing the job. "Maybe" you could be an "assistant" cleaning and painting that is always half ass!

Anything you can do is in your favour!

Who's to say, done right this time it may go 1.5m! By then you'll be hanging out in GA with the old dogs on the porch sippin' sweet tea laced with a little JD green label!
Older and wiser.

https://youtu.be/bs4y5si8DGs
https://youtu.be/952h-AJ3Bcg

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
03-19-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
(03-18-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  I guess the "custom tune" wasn't enough to save the old gal! ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, you will know what you have and what to expect and won't be pumping 6 lbs. of soot through it!

Couple of thoughts, if you're going to have the tranny out, do the rear bell housing gasket! As soon as you get everything back together it will start leaking.
Good time to do the Hi-Lo range valve if you haven't done it already, replace all clutch linkage and heim joints, trans cooler, lines. Much easier to do when everything is on the ground. I know you have to be careful not to build up the bill but if you have to do it in the next year you'll be kicking yourself besides doing the extra labour!
Instead of replacing the compressor, just do the head. Allot cheaper and that's what fails.

I'm assuming all new liners. Double check measurements on liner protrusion and torquing with the experts here.

You have an old hand doing the job. "Maybe" you could be an "assistant" cleaning and painting that is always half ass!

Anything you can do is in your favour!

Who's to say, done right this time it may go 1.5m! By then you'll be hanging out in GA with the old dogs on the porch sippin' sweet tea laced with a little JD green label!
Older and wiser.

https://youtu.be/bs4y5si8DGs
https://youtu.be/952h-AJ3Bcg

Let me ask you about that compressor... Mine is knocking pretty good, and I have had Cummins look at it, they said it is normal in regards to the knock. It only knocks when it is building air and then she of course quiets down. I was originally going to just do the head on it as you stated, tell me more about this. I know it entails cleaning out the lines, replacing the compressor head gasket and what else? Is it a new head that goes on there or is the old one reused?

And yes on the bell housing gasket, I am going to head down there today and add that to the list along with the other stuff you mentioned. There is a new tranny cooler going in, I'll have them throw in the lines too, along with the hi low, linkage and heim joints. Thank you sir!
replyreply
03-19-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
Air Compressor head
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=i...70&alt=web
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.