Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
03-26-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
(03-25-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  When I do mine, I will show all the costs. Looks like it will be in the next couple weeks. Wife needs some more dental work done, and it will be more convenient to just go ahead with the project while she is back home. -- She came home today, and the Alternator failed last night with no warning. I guess 960,000 miles is taking its toll on everything.

She had to fire up the APU and use its alternator to get the truck home. I put a 120-amp alternator on it a couple years ago and wired it so it will run with engine if need be. Good thing I did this, as this was the second time It came in handy.

Good to hear she made it home safe! Dental work $$$$$

And yes, the costs floored me on all of this, but I did my due diligence and priced most of the parts beforehand and was really pissed at what Cummins has done to us guys that own these motors.

And yes, the mileage takes it toll... More than a few parts I thought would be saved are now being replaced. The more they dig, the more they have found, not so much internally, but the parts and pieces around the motor... For just the in frame, new head and new cams I think it was right around $18,000 give or take. Then all of the other stuff came into play that I did not know about, thanks to several here on the site, and that number quickly skyrocketed. The injectors alone were $4200... When I get mine back I'll post all of the numbers too...

If you are able to do this work yourself, and really pick your parts sources carefully, like buying online, I think these numbers could be cut by a third or more.
replyreply
(03-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ..
The injectors alone were $4200...

Last injectors I got while someone was someone here, they were $570 ea. That was about a month ago give or take. Head was $3100, Overhaul kit was $4200.

Just make sure stuff is not marked up too high is all. Most shops do mark up parts as part of their profit, and that is ok, -- as long as they are not gouging you.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-26-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  ..
The injectors alone were $4200...

Last injectors I got while someone was someone here, they were $570 ea. That was about a month ago give or take. Head was $3100, Overhaul kit was $4200.

Just make sure stuff is not marked up too high is all. Most shops do mark up parts as part of their profit, and that is ok, -- as long as they are not gouging you.

Yep, they are knocking dollars off of some stuff, some other stuff not so much. I think in the end, it will all even out. My main concern is that they do it right and take their time (a reasonable amount) doing it, I don't want her slapped together. So far on the labor side, I am at 70 hours @ $96 an hour for a total of $6900 in labor charges, which sounds about right for the work entailed. I have two sheets of parts sitting in front of me, and hopefully that will be it...

The best part with all of this though, they are giving me the full nationwide warranty, and I cannot stress that enough. That right there is worth what little extra I may be paying for some of the parts. Especially on a truck with your programing. ;-)

Oh, the injectors are brand new, not the Mexican remans, $650 or so ea on those, two year warranty.
replyreply
Wow i just did one and i think kit was 4500 head was 3200 don't know exact numbers but these are close. Thats eveything minus the rods. I did anouther one 4 months ago he changed eveything but the turbo. That is injectors,rods,fueling and timing actuators,piston oilers and injector cam and he was at in ballpark of 15,000 in parts.
replyreply
(03-26-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  Wow i just did one and i think kit was 4500 head was 3200 don't know exact numbers but these are close. Thats eveything minus the rods. I did anouther one 4 months ago he changed eveything but the turbo. That is injectors,rods,fueling and timing actuators,piston oilers and injector cam and he was at in ballpark of 15,000 in parts.

Right now, $24,785 in parts... That is from the Transmission Cooler and Radiator back to the tail end of the Transmission, and just about every part in between... No reman parts are going on this truck, everything is OEM new. Allot more than an in frame going on here... This is just the estimate though from the service dept., we are going to go over all of this once we get the parts in, first batch of parts arrived today. The parts manager said this number will come down, and I do have rebates coming from Cummins.
replyreply
Well on the cost for mine was 32,618,00 the break down was 26,180.00 for a 565 hp reman from cummins(new turbo and compressor) and the rest was parts and labor(new clutch bla,bla,bla) but this was a cm870. but the motor was a 530 hp and it went 1,052,016 before it ate its self up. :( and there where more parts that i can remember(oldtimers kickin in) but it was alot of $$$$ to put out,but good planning help out.( got lucky)
replyreply
I dont have much faith in a Cummins Warranty...the shop in another state might look at your programming or hardware and void the warranty. There are some good small shop mechanics on this forum that would be my first choice.
replyreply
(03-26-2016 )stevesparts Wrote:  Well on the cost for mine was 32,618,00 the break down was 26,180.00 for a 565 hp reman from cummins(new turbo and compressor) and the rest was parts and labor(new clutch bla,bla,bla) but this was a cm870. but the motor was a 530 hp and it went 1,052,016 before it ate its self up. :( and there where more parts that i can remember(oldtimers kickin in) but it was alot of $$$$ to put out,but good planning help out.( got lucky)

I was looking to drop in a reman 600hp, but the price in the past 6 months has gone from $28,000 to $36,000! The same is going on with these parts! The Cummins rep was actually bragging about this price hike! I know parts that I had been looking at, at least up here in the Detroit area have gone through the roof! My fuel meters/actuators went from $340 ea to $465 ea! Regular stock item, same part number, same parts man... Well, we will go over all of this in the coming days and see what we can do.
replyreply
I got a quote from Cummins here on the actuators, $460 and they are genuine mex remans.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.