Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
04-07-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
RE: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week...
(04-07-2016 )mkmac Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 )mkmac Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Well, called the dealer this morning... CM-871 head and injector cam are on back order... They think they found a Head and it may ship tomorrow, no clue on the cam, hopefully by end of this week... Scratch that, I found the cams and called the dealer... One of each up the road... Got to do all the damn work yourself anymore!

You might have done it already but that hub on the fan pulley looks probably needs a bearing kit done. just saying

I asked about that too... That hub ain't cheap, and right now I'm about tapped... Not having any issues with it, and plan on fixing it here in the driveway soon... Need to get on the road and making some money.

You don't have to change the hub just the bearings cummins has a kit it was under a hundred dollars but you can go to your local bearing supplier for probably under twenty,it's an easy job.....

I'm putting a new hub on... I got thinking about it, two of my bearings were bad on the tensioners, I just called and told then to put a new hub assembly on and be done with it. I thought about it, and can see the entire thing failing a day or two after I get the truck back... It will look good with the new fan blade. ;-)
replyreply
Attaboy! Good call.
replyreply
(04-07-2016 )Steinbrenner Wrote:  Attaboy! Good call.

I know my luck... ;-)
replyreply
04-16-2016, (Subject: Well, she bit the dust, In Frame this week... ) 
Went up to the shop yesterday, they were test fitting head, popped right on. Now they need to paint the darn thing!

The old head bolts were done for, looked all water pitted above the threads on a few, metal just wore away. New ones are going in, all the way around. The head bolts were supposed to be there yesterday, for some reason they are hard to come by. My local Cummins Dealer did not have any in stock either, backordered. But the shop found some at one of the other dealers in their chain and had them on the way.

She is coming along, the air compressor got her new head. Jaime said it looked good in the compressor lines, no soot, and just a tiny bit on top of the compressor piston, nothing out of the norm, which cleaned right up.

All of the motor internals, liners, pistons, rods, mains, seals, oil coolers, oil pump, etc are completed... New pulleys, water pump installed, motor mounts, etc...

He painted the damper and did a great job on leaving the timing marks exposed, highlighted them with black and white paint and sealed from the elements, wish I had a photo of what he did there, really cool. I decided to stick with the old fan clutch, as it was not giving me any trouble and a new one is not cheap. Jaime said it looked fine, and was not difficult to remove and reinstall. He agreed, if it was not giving me issues, leave it alone.

The old injectors looked like they had seen better days. The o rings were definitely at the end of their life. 6 pack of new injectors, not remans, but new ones, going in...

The transmission is ready to go back in, new clutch is installed along with new bell housing gasket... Transmission is under there, waiting for Jaime to finish up top and then Chris will be finalizing the transmission install.

New transmission cooler is going in too, the old one was about shot, allot of corrosion... But, they forgot to order the new transmission cooler lines, they should be in today.

Need to get that power steering reservoir holder cleaned up, man that thing looks like hell... ;-)

And we still have a pallet of parts sitting off to the side... Looks like Christmas!

Other than that, she is coming along. Should have her back next week. Jaime the mechanic is excited, he can't wait to fire it up. From what I can see, and talking to him, he is doing a great job. He is the only one working on the motor, and has everything organized and laid out, very clean work area. That alone says allot in my book. Let's just hope that translates into a million mile motor!

replyreply
You and your wife will be happy to know that all this money your spending will go toward the business EXPENSE line on your tax filing for this year.

Don't let this purchase depress you too much, there are some benefits afterwards that have big positives later. Your new motor is well worth it in more ways than one.
replyreply
(04-16-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  You and your wife will be happy to know that all this money your spending will go toward the business EXPENSE line on your tax filing for this year.

Don't let this purchase depress you too much, there are some benefits afterwards that have big positives later. Your new motor is well worth it in more ways than one.

Actually, an inframe or re-build has to be depreciated over a 3 year period. You can not claim it all at once in same year on taxes because it extends the life of the equipment.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-16-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  You and your wife will be happy to know that all this money your spending will go toward the business EXPENSE line on your tax filing for this year.

Yep, very big purchase, but needed if we are going to keep the doors open. We have been profitable in a sense, except it all winds up back in this damn truck. I can understand why the wife is pissed, as we have had many trucks over the years, but nothing like this EPA monstrosity with all of the downtime. Hopefully this will put an end to the financial bloodletting and allow us to start bankrolling some cash.

On a side note, I was talking to my mechanic, in regards to the cost of ownership of these new trucks. He had nothing good to say, he knows of more than a few guys that lost everything due to these EGR systems. All they can do is try to fix them, but the costs of the repairs have broken more than a few smaller outfits. Like Rawze has stated many times, these mechanics in many cases are hamstrung, as they do not get the training on these systems from the factory like they should. And then throw in the outright mechanic shortage, and the younger guys not getting into the field, younger guys that are more in tune with the computer side of things, and we have a recipe for disaster. I can only imagine to be an expert on one manufacturers system, but having to be an expert on all of the manufacturers? That is essentially what these dealers are asking their mechanics to do. The thought of it all makes my head swim, which anymore is not difficult to do.
replyreply
You must like what you are doing to be good at both computer side and the nuts and bolts side. No one wants to do the nuts and bolts anymore the new generation doesn't want nothing to do with it. It's a dieing bread to say the least.
replyreply
./uploads/201604/post_895_1460824442_e10e65aca219e42eb96b5db0747bd7c9.jpeg./uploads/201604/post_895_1460824442_e10e65aca219e42eb96b5db0747bd7c9.jpeg./uploads/201604/post_895_1460824442_e10e65aca219e42eb96b5db0747bd7c9.jpegThe Egr ISX has bankrupted more owner operators and small fleets than any other single factor in the industry. Probably in the entire history of this industry.
In my niche, the ISX is now a four letter word. 100% failure rate by 400k miles, 100%!
Guys are forced to build gliders or trade at 200k miles. Problem is people have learned not to buy them at 200k because they're junk. Resale value is a joke.
Historically, the advantage of a Cummins has been a rebuild cost about half that of a Cat. Today a 2250/2350 costs about 40% more to rebuild.
I'm so glad someone like Rawze is trying to help you guys instead of taking advantage of the situation like most everyone else is doing.
Good luck with your rebuild Waterloo, I hope you enjoy one million trouble free miles.

Here's my direction.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.