ISX, Oil check procedure?
05-20-2017, (Subject: ISX, Oil check procedure? ) 
RE: ISX, Oil check procedure?
Everything I've found for oil capacity says 14 gallons for the ISX. I run 45 qts. and that puts it right at full so I'm clueless as to why Cummins says 56qts.or am I missing something???

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201705/post_1421_1495314642_6dfffd8d059fab1b12cf31b03dc788d4.png
replyreply
That's strange, must be a different spec then mine. My CM2250 manual shows total system capacity with filer and all residual 11gal....?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Dont confuse total system capacity with oil change capacity. A dry ISX, after assembly or rebuild, will take 50-52L. During a service, they will take about 45L inc. filter. The film of oil on everything really adds up, and depending on the angle of the engine there can be 2-3L retained in the shallower end of the oil pan and just below the drain plugs at the deep end.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Waterloo , JMBT
(05-20-2017 )Signature620 Wrote:  Dont confuse total system capacity with oil change capacity. A dry ISX, after assembly or rebuild, will take 50-52L. During a service, they will take about 45L inc. filter. The film of oil on everything really adds up, and depending on the angle of the engine there can be 2-3L retained in the shallower end of the oil pan and just below the drain plugs at the deep end.

Oh, boy! Now you've gone and introduced litres into this discussion. Now we'll all be hopelessly lost. LOL. :)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: morrison8 , graygoose
Hahah, my apologies.

50L = 13.2gal = 52.8qt
45L = 11.8gal = 47.5qt
2L = 0.52gal = 2.1qt
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
oh, now he's introduced gallons and quarts...now I need to go to the store for a few pints lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , snailexpress , Toolguy
05-21-2017, (Subject: ISX, Oil check procedure? ) 
(05-20-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Very interesting, maybe the foam is just some more Cummins folk lore, just because it is printed in a service manual doesn't mean it true right. Like the deal about rotating the rocker shafts for adjusting Jake detent. (In the manual, but not accurate) That was just one of the many maladies they said could be caused by overfilling.....

YOu put enough oil in there over the mark, and eventually the crank will start rotating in it,... and it WILL FOAM UP!. There is a point where it will do this,.. but it is not as sensative as most would think.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: morrison8 , JMBT , Toolguy
I tell the oil changer to put 42 quarts in and then I add my gallon of Sta-Lube... Check cold in the morning and when fueling... I leave the hood up, go pay, come back and check oil. That should be plenty of time to let the oil drain down into the pan. It normally hovers around the full mark, still nice and clear too... ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
I've had this same thought. The level always seemed to change and I was adding what seemed frequently oil. I thought I was over filling it and it was blowing out somehow. I finally decided to check it in the morning when I woke up, engine cold. Since I started doing this, I dont add oil frequently like I used too and I get a consistent reading each time. Just how I do it, I think everyone had their own "system" and this one works for me. I do the same with my coolant as well. Always after my breaks before I start it. If I've idled for a bit because its too hot out something, I'll run the truck a bit then shut it off for a few hours before I check it. If I have idled, then I'll just wait till the next break to check it for sure. But again everyone has their own 'system'
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.