Possible lift pump problem???
06-11-2017, (Subject: Possible lift pump problem??? ) 
RE: Possible lift pump problem???
Just a note... It is quite often that when the electric fuel pump starts failing, it puts metal shavings into the fuel lines feeding the gear pump. -- This leads to a failure of the gear pump a short time after the electric fuel pump is replaced.

I state this so that someone can be prepared for that day their engine will not start and they can't figure out why after replacing the electric pump. When the gear pump goes bad, you usually only get less than 50 psi or so at the fuel pressure sensor while cranking. This can be seen in insite. My CM871 is about 170 psi during cranking if someone is looking for as reference value to compare to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
06-11-2017, (Subject: Possible lift pump problem??? ) 
Some blow from old age. The metal degrades till it no longer meets its rated amperage and blows. If the new one blows fast it's probably a bad pump.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
06-12-2017, (Subject: Possible lift pump problem??? ) 
There is a fuse and relay for lift pump. They are all located between ECM and pump itself, im pretty sure it one of them. If not fuse, grab a screew driver and easy knock on relay. If u cant find relay let me know ill send you a picture.
replyreply
Checked the fuse, wasn't blown. Tapped on the relay, nothing happened. What now?
replyreply
(06-12-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  Checked the fuse, wasn't blown. Tapped on the relay, nothing happened. What now?

Replace the relay, they do fail. i recall my situation with several relay's going bad. When i replace all the relay's on mine, problem's went away.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(06-12-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  Checked the fuse, wasn't blown. Tapped on the relay, nothing happened. What now?

Replace the relay, they do fail. i recall my situation with several relay's going bad. When i replace all the relay's on mine, problem's went away.
You said you replaced "all The relays" is there more than one for the lift pump?
replyreply
(06-12-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  

You said you replaced "all The relays" is there more than one for the lift pump?

Not that i know of.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
06-13-2017, (Subject: Possible lift pump problem??? ) 
I checked the wiring today, I'm getting 12V to pin 85 of the relay for about a minute after I turn the key on then it goes out. No power to any other pins. Shouldn't there be a constant 12V to one of the relay pins?
replyreply
06-13-2017, (Subject: Possible lift pump problem??? ) 
No it should not be continuous.
It has a "timer" for the lift pump. Its purpose is to remove any potential air from the system, as air is very bad in injectors. After one minute or so, the system should be cleared of any air and no longer require the assistance from the lift pump, which is why the ECM then stops power supply.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.