Turbocharger WGT problem
08-22-2017, (Subject: Turbocharger WGT problem ) 
RE: Turbocharger WGT problem
Turbo works on 50%
replyreply
How far I can drive with this problem?
replyreply
Hmmm... That one is out of my league, but it sounds like the ring is stuck. What is Insite telling you in regards to the turbo and the percentage at idle? Brother, I wish I could help...
replyreply
50% you are pushing it, but I have read of worse here, like 80 and 90%. Nurse her along and keep your foot out of it. You have a boost gauge? Pyro? How far do you NEED to go?
replyreply
If the ring stuck I would warranty it. I would not try to fix it and void the manufacturer warranty.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-22-2017 )Vlad Wrote:  Hi guys! 2 months old turbocharger gear is stuck. Probably cause high rpm or black smoke witch was collected before (injectors replacement)
Does anybody knows how to clean it or solve this problem.

Usually when they only travel that far and meets a hard stop, it is the ring in the exhaust housing that the VG turbine blades hits due to either step wear or misalignment. -- It typically happens due to mostly vibration of the exhaust ring (excess play), or excess carbon packing. The "VG" portion of turbo is considered worn out when this happens and there is not much you can do about it except replace the whole turbo again. - If it is only 2 months old, you may be able to get the warranty claim on it, but who knows.

=====

(08-22-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would say the actuator is toast. Usually when you install a new turbo it is best to replace the actuator with it.

I think you confused the actuator (the top electronic piece) with the sector gear inside the turbo itself (the gear in the pictures he provided). - It made for some confusion and mis-understanding I think. - The gear in the pictures he provided are of the turbo itself and not the top piece (actuator) that goes onto it and gets "calibrated".

======

Is it a certified cummins reman? -- or from a shop? -- where did you get it? -- or was the old one re-manned?. There are a lot of Chinese copies that don't last very long out on the market and even more Chinese copied components to re-man them with. a person has to be very careful when getting a re-man.

Is the truck de-mandated? -- if so, where was it done?

what is the turbo position at idle? -- At max engine load? -- What is the max boost getting up to?

What year and model engine?

A bit more on the story would be nice.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
./uploads/201708/post_2879_1503457522_974641762af0fe2aab9929154d48df91.jpgI bought it from International Rush truck center in Chicago. They saying me that I have to buy new one and after they maybe will approve my warranty claim and after 3-4 weeks maybe will give me money back. I do have aftertreatm... system. Periodically I do forced regen to keep my system healthy. (Because my dpf has small holes) I would replace dpf but I already spent a lot of money on this system new doc and third dpf which now also need to be replaced And it's only for 15000 miles , yes 15,000 miles. Turbocharger is olso not first one for this period :) :(. Yes, I had issue with smoking black but recently I replaced all injectors and solve problem. But still have dpf with small hols waiting to be replaced Buy the way I did rebuild olso. Everything revolves around this truck, unfortunately.
Cammins ISX 15 2009 ( CM871)

Turbo position is on picture
replyreply
Olso I have found some oil on turbocharger compressor housing on a bottom of clamp and there is no oil inner intake
replyreply
08-23-2017, (Subject: Turbocharger WGT problem ) 
I had the exact same issue. The question of how long you can drive it? The answer is..... your already causing damage. If you cannot afford a dpf, can you afford a engine?

I'm assuming you ashed up your dpf when your injectors were bad so you are probably driving with alot of back pressure which took out your turbo again. You have 2 options, new dpf and new turbo or you can do a quick demandate to buy some time. The turbo may possibly last a little while longer of you remove the back pressure but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

My turbo would command 73 and only put out 50. I did a demandate but it was too late for my turbo, I had to replace it. My turbo started pushing oil through the intake within a week but it wasn't too bad, I bought a new turbo the next month.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vlad

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.