Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment???
08-23-2017, (Subject: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment??? ) 
Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment???
Has anyone out there modified their Volvo hood or front air dam to increase airflow around the engine? If so I would love to see pics and hear how it is working out. Thanks!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
08-24-2017, (Subject: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment??? ) 
RE: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment???
I know of one person who did some mods. It worked for them. They ...

* Cut out the guards to the side of the passenger tire to allow air flow on the exhaust side of the engine.

* Straight piped the exhaust, made it a weed-burner, and did a full wrap (this helped a lot actually).

* Removed/modded the lower part of the front bumper to push air up around the engine I think, but don't remember what he did exactly.

I have heard someone talk about older model Volvo havig bigger intake and CAC piping? -- Not sure about that one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
08-24-2017, (Subject: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment??? ) 
The first and 2nd gen VNL's with the Cm570 and Cm870 has bigger CAC and piping the CM871 and newer have the tiny CAC and small piping
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , DaveCampbell
(08-24-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I know of one person who did some mods. It worked for them. They ...

* Cut out the guards to the side of the passenger tire to allow air flow on the exhaust side of the engine.

* Straight piped the exhaust, made it a weed-burner, and did a full wrap (this helped a lot actually).

* Removed/modded the lower part of the front bumper to push air up around the engine I think, but don't remember what he did exactly.

I have heard someone talk about older model Volvo havig bigger intake and CAC piping? -- Not sure about that one.

Engine tune.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1897
If I posted the link properly there are pictures of what I did to the hood.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
Is your engine running hot or you hate heat from DPF duma55es placed under cab?
I don't have any issues with heat.
replyreply
08-25-2017, (Subject: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment??? ) 
Thanks guys for all the input.
Magard: that looks great, very custom! I think that would really help, especially on the pass side, but I would do both sides as well for the symmetry. What is an average flat ground cruising EGT for you, and does EGT come up fast when you are pulling on a grade?

Rawze: I like the idea of wrapping the exhaust. What kind of material do you wrap it with, also how much of the exhaust would one wrap?

Snailexpress: I am flat ground cruising at 62mph, 1450 RPMs, about 550-625 EGT, when I start up a grade heavy, she comes up fast. The manual engine fan helps tremendously, but I just thought if I could get some of the exhaust heat out of there it would be better all around. Coolant temp never seems to be a problem, just EGT's a bit high.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
08-25-2017, (Subject: Any ideas for improving airflow to the Volvo VNL engine compartment??? ) 
(08-25-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  ...
Rawze: I like the idea of wrapping the exhaust. What kind of material do you wrap it with, also how much of the exhaust would one wrap?

I have seen a lot of different exhaust wraps. The best one so far is this one...

https://amzn.to/2Llm2hP

and to use these ties...

https://amzn.to/2ZS2d4O

-- The more you wrap the more effective it becomes. Simple at that. The second benefit is that the exhaust heat is not trapped under the cab, making it hot all the time inside. You can actually enjoy rolling the windows down a bit and turning off your A/C when it is not too hot outside. Wrapping the exhaust on my prostar was one of the best things I did. Trucks these days should come from the factory like that if you ask me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-25-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks guys for all the input.
Magard: that looks great, very custom! I think that would really help, especially on the pass side, but I would do both sides as well for the symmetry. What is an average flat ground cruising EGT for you, and does EGT come up fast when you are pulling on a grade?

Snailexpress: I am flat ground cruising at 62mph, 1450 RPMs, about 550-625 EGT, when I start up a grade heavy, she comes up fast. The manual engine fan helps tremendously, but I just thought if I could get some of the exhaust heat out of there it would be better all around. Coolant temp never seems to be a problem, just EGT's a bit high.
It is more of a custom tune thing that really changes egt. Uniliever tuned the truck and we played around with turbo position while cruising. If the turbo moves more air it runs cooler and is more responsive (quicker) but feels like it is working alittle harder (more back pressure). If the turbo moves less air it runs warmer and is slower. Truck feels less restricted running turbo position opener (less air) less back pressure but the trade off is allittle more heat. I'm running my position looser because I feel fuel mileage is better cruising this way. (Just a guess I don't have any numbers to go off of.) I didn't notice egt change when I cut the hood. My prob is in the exahaust stream. I was more after under hood temps. Trying to make the electronics live longer. Trying not to bake the wiring over time. Wrapping would definitely help. I was also trying to improve radiator air flow by giving the air a path to take out.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.