Can I get better fuel mileage
08-29-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
RE: Can I get better fuel mileage
im awsome

honestly thats impressive fuel mileage for what you have and do. thats a win in my book. glad its working good.

/micdrop
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , Hammerhead , Rounded_nut , kalsandhu
I would definitely get that 13 spd kit, I run quite a bit in low 9 on these back roads up here in Michigan, 18 spd. I can see the difference in the fuel mileage when I do this, and for $149 it should pay for itself in no time. The supers, I used to run them, but when you figure in the cost, nah.
replyreply
I'm with Waterloo and Rawze.

Yes on the 13 speed (Although it's a little more work than what Cummins is saying in your previous post)

Yes on the higher rpms when loaded and rolling through the hills. And lower rpms when empty. Make the gearing work for you. Not the engine.

And no on the super singles. You won't see that much of a difference to justify the cost and the change over twice a year.

My $0.02.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
08-30-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
(08-29-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  The 9 speed convertible already has all the gears. It's just a splitter valve and actuator that bolts on the back. No other mods necessary.
Wow never heard of that. Why would they build a truck with all the components of a 13 speed but not put the shifter in. Seems weird to me but hey I guess there a reason. Cookie cutter truck. One size fits most. Resale. ?????
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(08-30-2017 )Magard Wrote:  
(08-29-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  The 9 speed convertible already has all the gears. It's just a splitter valve and actuator that bolts on the back. No other mods necessary.
Wow never heard of that. Why would they build a truck with all the components of a 13 speed but not put the shifter in. Seems weird to me but hey I guess there a reason. Cookie cutter truck. One size fits most. Resale. ?????

The mega-fleets are notorious for this. It is harder for the student drivers to tear them up when set as 9-speeds. After the truck leaves the fleet, the prospect of a 13 speed makes the truck worth more money. It is quite a common practice actually.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Hammerhead , JMBT
Rawze beat me to it...
I fail to see the logic, if you can't teach the driver to drive a 13 speed, the driver is not worth having in the unit, after all there are far more complicated things to learn than a 13.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
09-01-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
(08-30-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Rawze beat me to it...
I fail to see the logic, if you can't teach the driver to drive a 13 speed, the driver is not worth having in the unit, after all there are far more complicated things to learn than a 13.

Many student drivers are coming out of these schools with a license that only allows them to drive an automatic. Kind of says it all. Pretty sad in my book. And it shows out here on the road...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , simon999
(09-01-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Rawze beat me to it...

Many student drivers are coming out of these schools with a license that only allows them to drive an automatic. Kind of says it all. Pretty sad in my book. And it shows out here on the road...
Amen to that Waterloo. I cut my teeth on a 13 speed. Bought the truck before I had a CDL. Got my learners permit and paid my neighbor $10 an hour to teach me. An old school trucker tgat taught me many of things. Here in Nebraska at harvest time farmers do not need a CDL it scary seeing the crap out there. Wide open lot for them to get truck straight and still can't back a semi up over a 15 foot wide hopper. I'm video taping this year to show my senator in hopes the law gets changed.

Harvest starts in a month and I'm swamped now so the converting it to 13 will wait until after harvest and I'll do an overhead then to.

Little update, filled up yesterday gauge read 7/8 full. Did 3 loads of the 80 mile round-trip and two loads of a haul that is 184 miles round-trip that consists of 70 miles of 4 lane and interstate so some easy going. Dash says 8.5 mpg. The 80 mile trip had to sit in line for a bit and dropped mileage to 8.1 compared to the 8.5 been getting. Rough calculation the 184 trip I got 9.1. I'll have to fill probably Wednesday so I'll know better then, but I'm still sitting over half a tank with 630 miles on trip meter and I know when I have a half a tank I've got 500 miles left.(dual 100 gallon tanks). So as of now I know I'm getting at least 8. Got the 184 mile trip all next week.

Big thank you too Unilever, thank you! An even bigger thank you to Rawze for this great site and info he shares for free. 5 months ago after continually dealing with no money and really one big breakdown from disaster I about called it quits after 16 years. This site and this truck has put a spark back into me. I'm enjoying driving like I did years ago. No longer considering it a job more like a hobby that I get paid for! I back to loving driving again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , snailexpress , Waterloo , Hammerhead , Magard
Id say that outstanding fuel mileage for those short hauls. Im hauling grain but longer runs in a 10 speed pulling 80-90k and get 6.5 on the dash.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.