Can I get better fuel mileage
09-01-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
RE: Can I get better fuel mileage
The guys are right about the super singles. I notice no difference at all in fuel Econ, vs. well looked after duals.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
09-01-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
Ive had 2 blow outs since ive ran grain. If i was running singles that woulda resulted in road calls and cost 4 times more.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
09-02-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
For us they're working. We first tried one in 2009 and saw an increase in mileage. I switched to them to when I saw the increase and the fact we weren't having flats with them like we were with duals. 4 trailers since 09 and we've had 6 flats. 3 needed service truck. I usually have 4-6 flats on the tractor a year. Farm places have lots of nails! I've had service calls on duals to. I've had damage done to equipment from a super single blow, but I've also had damage from a dual tire.
replyreply
Fergie, good to hear you have your spark back! Not having to worry about this EGR/DPF crap will do that and why so many of us pushed you in that direction, because we have been there. I was pulling a flat bed soon after ridding myself of the mandate in my ProStar, 8-9 mpg was easy to get and maintain with the mm tune. Best part of all of this, is that now you can concentrate on making money! Good luck and don't be a stranger! Keep us updated and let us know how everything goes.
replyreply
(09-02-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Fergie, good to hear you have your spark back! Not having to worry about this EGR/DPF crap will do that and why so many of us pushed you in that direction, because we have been there. I was pulling a flat bed soon after ridding myself of the mandate in my ProStar, 8-9 mpg was easy to get and maintain with the mm tune. Best part of all of this, is that now you can concentrate on making money! Good luck and don't be a stranger! Keep us updated and let us know how everything goes.

Definitely be sticking around but mainly a lurker. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but have done brakes, air bags, fuel pumps etc. More of the smaller stuff but I do enjoy working on it. So I'll be spending my time reading this forum and absorbing as much information as possible.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I thought that switching from Duel to Wide Base Singles was problematic if you had a typical axle because a wide-track or intermediate axle was needed for 0 inch offset rims, with regular axles you needed 2 inch offset rims. Supposedly it really wore out bearing, but was fine on the trailer.
replyreply
Fergie, I'd say with the kind of short haul and occasional softer ground conditions you're working in, DUDE, YOU'RE DOIN AWESOME FUEL MILEAGE!!! It takes some serious dedication to being slow n smooth when you're doin short hops around like that, especially during harvest season.
After harvest if you go OTR to fill insome gaps, with your discipline you will probably kill it.
I understand your "cringeworthy feelings" while watching some of the local yokels without CDL's driving their "farm trucks", but I doubt very much your senator will even think about a change for more that half a second...you are in an Ag state after all, and he would surely lose his voting base if he even considered it. But by all means, point out the problem.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(09-02-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  For us they're working. We first tried one in 2009 and saw an increase in mileage. I switched to them to when I saw the increase and the fact we weren't having flats with them like we were with duals. 4 trailers since 09 and we've had 6 flats. 3 needed service truck. I usually have 4-6 flats on the tractor a year. Farm places have lots of nails! I've had service calls on duals to. I've had damage done to equipment from a super single blow, but I've also had damage from a dual tire.

Interesting about the flats. Don't know if your aware of it, but since 2009, there are lots of brands of duals that have roughly the same low-roll resistance as the singles do any more. I get incredibly high fuel mileage out of my M710's loaded all the time. Not so sure if they would do well in off-road environments though. They are made for highway use.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fergie
09-08-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
Figured I'd give an update. Dash gauge is off, but by half a mile. So my first tank actually got 7.7 MPG. Second tank full 8.0 mpg. Both times gauge read half mile a gallon better. Got 373 miles on third tank and it's reading 9.0. So a possible 8.5 mpg. When I bought this I as hoping for 7 considering my current 93 kW t600 with Detroit as getting 5.8. Figured you'd think they'd increase by 1 mile in 19 years. Was pretty disappointed when I only got 5.8 on first tank full. A bit disappointed in brother in law, he's got a couple trucks and does about the same thing I do except he does pull alot of van trailer hauling seed corn. He's got older W900's with cat's, thought showing him this mpg gain he'd want to join in on the money saving. He laughs at the idea of slowing down, oh well I can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.